You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Format:  Go
OT Question
AuthorMessage
userRobinhood
Posted: 30 December 2018 6:36 PM
Subject: RE: OT Question

AIUI, being on a main network provider or a subsidiary MVNO one should make no difference to signal strength, which is a fixed function of the 'phone and the distance/topology to the mast.

Likewise, it should make little or no difference to voice-call or text functionality.

Where differences can arise is in data performance. The MVNOs can contract for a fixed maximum amount of bandwidth, and it is quite possible that contention would "throttle" data performance more regularly than that for the main carrier.

Both O2 and GiffGaff are owned by the same parent (Telefonica) and I believe I have read, but can't find it now, that there is little or no throttling on the GiffGaff network vs that for native O2 users. (Certainly, my experience has been pretty good).

There are certainly fairly good deals to be had out there on 12 month or even 30 day rolling contracts, but the big advantage to me (and others) of GiffGaff is the complete lack of any commitment.

I can be PayGo when I want to be (usually when I'm at home, as I have other ways of accessing 'data'- and free mobile calls); When I want significant amounts of data, possibly on my travels, I can buy a "goodybag" with the appropriate amount of data in it, and that will be valid for a month. I can then either drop back to Paygo, or buy more data (a different amount if necessary). For me, it provides an ideal halfway house between PayGo and contract, and means I can tailor it to my needs at much cheaper cost than a full contract.

All with no contractual commitment (the only committed money being the value of my current balance and/or "goodybag"). Any top-up/purchase is very easy online, and virtually instantaneous.

Anyone with a predictable pattern of usage with reasonable amounts of data use consistently spread would probably be slightly better off on a contract, but even then, GiffGaff with a regular, automatically renewed "goodybag" would probably run it close.
usercolin
Posted: 30 December 2018 6:39 PM

Lord of the posts

Laurence - 2018-12-30 5:53 PM

I believe Giff Gaff use the O2 network, so it's difficult to compare this with EE signal strength or coverage.

They are both part of Telefonica. there have in past been a few differences, at one time 4g was available on o2 but not gifgaf.

funny enough PlusNet and EE are part of BT.

Edited by colin 2018-12-30 6:44 PM
useryeo1
Posted: 31 December 2018 8:16 AM

Just joined

Check out 3 http://www.three.co.uk/Store/SIM/Plans_for_phones
userkeninpalamos
Posted: 2 January 2019 10:22 AM

Pillar of the forums

I bought an iphone2 at the end of 2007 and back then you could only use 02. I did go to Vodaphone for a year but went back to 02. I have a sim only deal and find I am lucky with the coverage I get from them. At present I’m paying £25 a month for 30gb “ free tx & calls”. (Believe me nothing is free in this life) The 30gb allows me to watch TV in Spain etc without fear of running out of data. Silly thing is, I don’t use it that much now. Yet when I had a max of 15gb I was always using it up inside the month and they charge the earth to add on a couple of gb if you run out.
userrooster63
Posted: 2 January 2019 11:20 AM

Pops in from time to time

Can endorse thinking if you have more than one phone it is worth having 2 different networks my wife is on O2 and I'm on Plusnet (EE). Sometimes only one of us can get a signal. It was interesting to read about Plusnet having some restrictions placed on coverage by EE, perhaps that explains that I tend to have 'no signal' more than my wife.
userCruisecontrol
Posted: 2 January 2019 12:35 PM

Have look at 1p. They are 1p for a minute,text and Mbyte. Like Virgin they piggyback on EE. Currently within the EU the costs are the same. You just need to top up with £10 every 3 months

https://tinyurl.com/ydaxvuev
userEMS
Posted: 2 January 2019 7:42 PM

I use a true pay as you go that does not have a end date. Thus it costs me about £40 to £50 per year for Texting and a few calls in mainland Europe. Free wifi I use for emails when on sites or elswhere.
A very economic solution for my usage, the cost for texts and calls is high but they are limited.
usercolin
Posted: 2 January 2019 9:38 PM

Lord of the posts

EMS - 2019-01-02 7:42 PM

I use a true pay as you go that does not have a end date. Thus it costs me about £40 to £50 per year for Texting and a few calls in mainland Europe. Free wifi I use for emails when on sites or elswhere.
A very economic solution for my usage, the cost for texts and calls is high but they are limited.

That sounds quite expensive for low usage, as an example my contract costs £36 a year, 500/500/500 mins/MB/sms per month, without the talktalk discount you should be able to get similar for £60 a year last time I looked.
userderek500
Posted: 4 January 2019 9:17 AM

Epic contributor

If you're a Sky subscriber, Sky Mobile is excellent.

£6 a month with unlimited calls and texts. 1gb of data per month, which if not used is 'banked' for up to 36 months.

We've got one sim each and rarely use data, but it's great for having loads stored for when we're away.

Off to Spain in three weeks and we've banked 15.77gb plus another 4gb of this and next month's allowance.
Jump to page : FirstPrevious 1 2 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator