OVER 80 Travel Insurance for more than 31 days please

chris

in July 2020 I queried over 80 annual insurance. https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/age-80-Annual-multrip-travel-insurance/55726/ As we have not ventured abroad since March 2020 we are now ready to travel again. We would like to go about 45 days in June then a couple of weeks in Sept but really want to go Jan, Feb March 2023 to Portugal. We would like recomendations from people currently over 80 who travel for longer than 31 days. I am 65 and could get annual insurance but we can't get joint insurance now as before as he is over 80. Any recomendations please before I spend hours on the phone or online. previously we always had joint annual multitrip with LV.

We have just returned early from Spain as my wife fell and fractured her femur She was treated and operated on in Vinaros Hospital under the EHIC scheme. At no time were we asked if we had travel insurance which we did have. I had contacted our insurance company who were willing to step in and cover the cost if required

Our insurance was with Axa https://www.axa-schengen.com/en and was basically medical insurance only as being motorhomers we don't need cancellation, personal belongings etc insurance. Cost for 2 people for 89 days was £149.11 with a 30000 euro limit. You can increase this to 100000 euros cover but premium is more. Covid is covered. There is no age limit and Barbara is 80 in August Hope this helps

John

• 3 weeks later...
Well I trawled through a few websites and received quotes. I now know that you can get annual insurance for over 31 days fo over 80s and it varies from 31 days to 90 days too. Avanti will do 35 days. Coop 45 days. Free spirit 41 days single trip and 31 days annual. Saga 45 days £683, 60 days £850 , 90 days ??? Pricy. Schengen multitrip was £596 for basic cover but could do 90 days. In the end we went with Allclear insurance for 55 days and we picked higher excess £578.10. Excess of £250 was £650.90. Without cancellation cover it was £520.82. So final bill was £578.10 for 55 day trips for 81 year old and 65 year old for Europe. When you click buy you can take out extras and that's where you click the number of days required . driving licence has returned finally, eurotunnel booked and finally insurance. French crossing in 4 weeks now.

Many thanks for doing the leg work ;-)

I have been looking for three weeks insurance for a trip to visit my son in New Zealand.

I got as far as Saga and Go Compare which came up with RAC insurance, both over £1000 not touching American soil !

Rgds

Nationwide Flexplus A/C might be worthwhile investigating, particularly if some of the other benefits can be utilised. NW apparently cover over 70s .....with an additional premium charge of course, and similarly for more than 30 or 31? days cover.

I agree with Simian about the Nationwide account. I am 82 and wife is 81. We pay £13/month and get motor breakdown cover for car and motorhome in UK and EU. Also mobile phone cover worldwide. We pay extra for travel/health cover in EU and a bit extra for up to 45 days for repeat trips. I don't have the exact extra but around £80. Another benefit is commission free cash withdrawals abroad.

Hope this helps

Dick

Archived