Obtaining French Pet Passports

StuartO

Has anyone got a French Pet Passport for their pet and used it successfully?

The ruse, to work around the consequences for taking pets abroad on holiday following Brexit, was said to be to make you pets French, by getting a French vet to issue a new EU Pet Passport while you are in France, which would then allow your pet to enjoy freedom of movement into and within the EU and also to meet the requirements for entry into UK when you return home. Much simpler and cheaper than paying a lot of money for a UK Animal Health Certificate every trip.

Does it work?

I am also interested to know. My dog was issued one in Calais 2 years ago, because my vet had transposed 2 dates on the UK one and the folk at Chunnel pet reception wouldn't accept it.

I haven't been abroad since, and have been told variously that it will be accepted, and that it won't,

Sorry this doesn't help the OP, but I'll be keeping an eye on the thread.

Like you I’m unsure how straightforward it will be.

I spoke with the vet we use in Spain in July this year regarding the passport and cost.

They said it would be ok and very easy. Price wise about €38 ish from memory.

I’ve been waiting for someone to post here and other forums to gain enough confidence to take our Penny next year.

Den

As I started this Thread on here I also posted exactly the same tex on two Hymer Facebook Groups I belong to. In both cases I got prompt and helpful (i.e. experience-based) responses. Since I started using Facebook that’s generally been the case. I’m afraid this website doesn’t seem to reach as many as in the past. Just thought I’d share that.

It’s to be anticipated that motorhome forums that target particular marques (eg. one-make Facebook groups) will have an impact on generalised forums like this one.

‘Foreign’ pet passports have been discussed here fairly recently

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/EU-pet-passport/57401/

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Pets-to-France/57852/

but it’s a pretty niche subject and, as the core of the Motorhome Matters forum is nowadays probably no more than a dozen people who may well have no practical experience of ‘foreign’ pet passports nor interest in the subject, it doesn’t surprise me much that there’s been no experience-based feedback to your enquiry.

There is advice online (example here)

https://www.petsthattravel.com/eu-pet-passport/#Third_Point_Header

but if you want to chat about the subject, Facebook should be a good bet.

StuartO - 2021-11-09 5:15 PM

As I started this Thread on here I also posted exactly the same tex on two Hymer Facebook Groups I belong to. In both cases I got prompt and helpful (i.e. experience-based) responses. Since I started using Facebook that’s generally been the case. I’m afraid this website doesn’t seem to reach as many as in the past. Just thought I’d share that.

As you are aware that at least 2 other folk are interested in this topic, it would be helpful if you could post what the helpful and experience based responses were.

TIA

candapack - 2021-11-10 10:04 AM

As you are aware that at least 2 other folk are interested in this topic, it would be helpful if you could post what the helpful and experience based responses were.

TIA

I suggest you visit Facebook and search for Hymer pages.

It might be helpful to know on which Facebook groups the foreign’ pet passport advice was provided. There are several Hymer-related groups, with the Hymer Club UK group beng a public group, but (as Davy has just said) the Hymer Owners Group is a private group, as are the others I’ve looked at.

(And, of course, even if Stuart says which groups he received exerience-based advice from, to search the groups and read what was said would require setting up a Facebook account if you don’t already have one.)

StuartO - 2021-11-10 10:50 AM

TIA

Thank you, very helpful.

candapack - 2021-11-10 2:45 PM

StuartO - 2021-11-10 10:50 AM

TIA

Thank you, very helpful.

My response wasn’t at all helpful and I apologise. I didn’t fancy spoon feeding you with what I felt you could just as easily look up yourself but I forgot that the HOG page would need joining to read the replies I got so I could at least give you the gist of it.

It seems that lots of people are doing it and it works for purposes of crossing borders including returning to UK although there’s some suggestion that French vets have now been told not to issue Pet Passport without a French address. But EU Pet Passports are being easily obtained in Germany, Spain and Portugal, sometime very cheaply too. French regs seem to require annual rabies boosters ( presumably because France is not a rabies-free country) and there may also be issues about your existing record of UK rabies jabs can be transcribed over.

I hope that helps.

Archived