October in Germany

HarveyHeaven

We are on the Mosel at the moment and it is very busy. The trick is to look up where and when the various wine festivals are and avoid that town or village at that time if you don't fancy it. Try the Minheim stellplatz/aire near Piesport. The wine festival is in full swing right now but there will be plenty of room after the week end. River to the front of you and wine village behind. Fenced pitches with hardstanding, grass and electric to each. You won't regret it.

Ron

We're well into our third week in Germany as I post.

Have had no problems finding space on Stellplätze, in fact none of them were busy, apart from the current one at Forchheim, which had all 20 spaces taken by late afternoon. However this one IS popular*, it is weekend, and it is sunny and 26C.

October will be quieter, and. I can't see there being much trouble finding space unless there's a local event. (Though, as I recently posted, the Mosel is getting rather too busy for me).

*This Stellplatz is ok, and suits our purpose in visiting the town and having a bike ride along the Main Donau canal, but it gets some road noise, so isn't a favourite. We've discovered a few more real crackers this holiday, though, as we usually do.

HarveyHeaven - You don't say which area you will be visiting first but another point worth considering is the weather - as always. September average max at Minheim is 20C but falls sharply to 15C in October so if I where you I would do the Mosel first. Saying that the current max is 26C, but thats weather for you.

Will86 - 2019-09-15 1:16 PM

To all those who post their personal travels its great for me reading them as I cannot visit any of them now.

Will

Will - you might be interested in this piece I did about Interlaken. It's about ten years old now so some of there costings will have changed, but not the road toll charges I think which is a bonus.

Sorry but I think the PSD file was too large and it hasn't loaded. It was also in the old 'Members Guides' forum but appears to have been deleted.

Ron

HarveyHeaven - 2019-09-12 10:11 AM

Just wondering if it might be really busy because of the wine and beer festivals? We're planning to set off next week and do the Moselle and a bit of the romantic route....but not big into 'busy'.

Hi, I realise you might not be "big into busy" but the wine festivals in that area are so good it would be a shame to miss them.

Give it a try.

Archived