You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
Oil Pressure sensor 2014 Ducato Motorhome.
AuthorMessage
userNinian
Posted: 10 September 2018 11:57 AM
Subject: Oil Pressure sensor 2014 Ducato Motorhome.

Gets involved

Hi, Does anyone know what pressure this sensor operates at. An oil pressure message appears on the dash every day that I start the van then it doesn't appear again for the rest of the day. I was thinking that if I could fit a more sensitive sensor then the ECU would receive the signal half a second or a second sooner and may resolve the problem. I have been with the Fiat professional garage and they say that this is normal but I think there may be something wrong with the parameters in the software.

Also does anyone know where this sensor is on the van.

Thanks.
userBillggski
Posted: 10 September 2018 1:25 PM
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure sensor 2014 Motorhome.

Epic contributor

Are you sure it's oil pressure, or the oil level signal? Check the handbook.

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/OIL-Warning-message/46696/

Edited by Billggski 2018-09-10 1:26 PM
userNinian
Posted: 10 September 2018 1:33 PM

Gets involved

Hi, It's definitely Oil Pressure as the message states.

" Insufficient Engine Oil Pressure stop and turn off Engine."
userKeithl
Posted: 10 September 2018 2:35 PM

Forum master

How long has this been happening or is it a very recent occurrence?

And what grade of oil are you using and when was it (and the filter) last changed?

Keith.
userNinian
Posted: 10 September 2018 2:45 PM

Gets involved

Hi, This is an on-going fault that has been happening since the van had just a couple of hundred miles on the clock. The Fiat Dealer has been unable to resolve it and has now washed his hands of the matter. Fiat themselves according to the dealer say there is no fault.
userAlanb
Posted: 10 September 2018 8:04 PM

Pillar of the forums

Re regarding the location of the oil pressure sensor, I appreciate that my PVC has a different engine (2.8 JTD), but on examining the underside recently for another matter, I noticed a sensor attached where the turbo oil feed pipe connects to the cylinder block. Checking Fiat documentation has confirmed that it is the oil pressure sensor. Given the lubrication requirements of the turbo, the location seems very logical.I therefore suggest that if more precise info is not available, it could be worth checking round the turbo oil feed pipe.

I would be worried by Ninian's original problem, for the following reason. I have a vague memory of a court case many years ago (By many I am thinking ten to fifteen years. It could be more or less.)

The case was brought because a new car with a history of problems (a lemon), suffered a catastrophic engine failure, which I think on independant investigation, was found to be due to gasket material blocking engine oilways. The disaffected owner wanted to reject the vehicle, but was judged to have kept it too long.

Unfortunately I cannot remember my source, but it may have been an article in Which? magazine drawing attention to the legal ruling against rejection, after only a few weeks of ownership?

However since the engine on Ninian's engine has not failed, could the alarm be due to either a faulty sensor, or a blockage at the sensor inlet?

The other possibility, to which Ninian alludes, is that the ECU is not allowing sufficent time for oil pressure to build up.

I do hope that I have not caused undue alarm by my statements above.

Alan

userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 10 September 2018 8:45 PM

The logical thing to do would be to get the Fiat Professional agent to replace the oil-pressure switch. If that fails to stop the warning appearing, then the phenomenon can be investigated further.

Assuming that this is software-related and can be ‘fixed’ by replacing the standard switch with a non-standard one is just asking for trouble.
userKeithl
Posted: 10 September 2018 8:52 PM

Forum master

Have you raised this directly with Fiat or only through your dealer?

If the latter then call Fiat Camper Assist and raise your concern directly with them and ask for resolution.

Keith.
userNinian
Posted: 10 September 2018 10:48 PM

Gets involved

Hi, This fault has been reported to Fiat Customer Care and it has had a few job cards raised against it, but the Fiat Professional Dealer has been unable to resolve the matter and I feel because they didn’t sell the van they don’t have any interest in repairing it. Unfortunately I only have one Fiat Professional Dealer in N Ireland so I don’t have any alternative to go to which isn’t ideal. I thought that fitting a more sensitive switch may resolve the problem but it was only a thought. I’m just at a loss at what to do next.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 11 September 2018 7:22 AM

The oil-pressure warning message appearing every time your motorhome’s engine is started clearly cannot be considered ‘normal’ - otherwise the warning would appear when the motor of every Ducato with the same specification as yours was started. But as the message has been appearing for four years and apparently no other peculiar symptoms have evidenced, it might well be considered irritating but harmless.

When the message began to appear back in 2014 you should really have pushed Fiat to deal with the phenomenon while the vehicle was under warranty. Four years on, with the only convenient Fiat Professional agent telling you (essentially) not to worry, your options seem to be to tolerate the situation, or have the present oil-pressure switch replaced at your own expense and hope that does some good. I’d try the latter as it shouldn’t be all that expensive to do.

You might try asking about this on the Fiat Forum

https://www.fiatforum.com/

If you want to know where the pressure-switch is, you’ll need to identify the capacity of your motorhome’s engine.
userNinian
Posted: 11 September 2018 11:00 AM
Subject: RE: Oil Pressure sensor 2014 Ducato Motorhome.

Gets involved

Hi, This problem has been evident since early 2015 and Fiat were involved FOC fitted a replacement pressure switch, then a new oil pump and finally a new cluster but none of these have resolved the problem. It’s just that the Fiat Professional Dealer is now ignoring the problem. My van is a 2.3 / 150 bhp.
usertonyishuk
Posted: 11 September 2018 12:51 PM

Forum master

Maybe totally erroneous thought but should / does the oil filter have / should have a non return valve ?

I seem to recall some engines of my youth failing because look alike oil filters where used and the oil dropped to the sump rather than being held in the galleries. This led to premature wear of the crank bearings.

Rgds
userSteve928
Posted: 11 September 2018 12:53 PM

Epic contributor

Personally if I were in your situation I would want to know the actual oil pressure immediately after starting the engine, during normal running and on tickover, both hot and cold. I would investigate whether a mechanical oil pressure gauge could be tee'd in between the block (or wherever the current sender is) and the sender unit. It wouldn't have to be neat installation and the capillary and gauge could reside temporarily under the bonnet.
Armed with some actual data you could then ask Fiat (or Iveco) for minimum oil pressure specifications for your engine and determine if you have a problem and a case going forward.
userDerek Uzzell
Posted: 11 September 2018 6:49 PM

I notice that Ninian’s problem was discussed previously

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Oil-pressure/40230/

Not sure there is anything to add really, unless the approach Steve suggests is taken.
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator