Oil pressure

Ninian

Hi, I have a 2014 Ducato and when I start the van after it's been sitting for a few days a message appears

" Insufficient oil pressure stop and turn off engine " after a few seconds it disappears. The dealer has changed out the pressure switch but that didn't sort the problem, now today he thinks the oil pump requires replacing. Has anyone else had a similar problem and how was it resolved.

Thanks.

And probably just out of warranty. Ouch.

Ask how they have checked the oil pressure. The switch probably just sense that pressure is low and sets of the alarm message. I doubt the diagnostics are capable of reading the pressure delivered by the oil pump. I would expect an independent oil pressure gauge needs to be tapped into the lubrication system to check this.

The original equipment oil filter probably has a non return valve fitted. there have been cases where cheap filters without the valve have been used delaying oil deliver while the system refills. Having said that your vehicle may not yet have needed a service and probably still has the original.

Hi, The van isn't out of warranty and the repair will be carried out for free. I was just looking for info if this fault had appeared on someone else's van. After the van is started initially the fault doesn't re-appear for the rest of the day.

Hi Ninian,

Has your MH ever had a service? If yes than I'd be asking the dealer to confirm the correct oil and filter where used and if not then asking them to perform an oil and filter change (on warranty of course) before starting to rip the engine apart.

What have they got to lose? Or more importantly what have they got to gain? Potentially not having to replace your oil pump.

The reason for my thinking is from earlier posts about filters having anti-drain back valves which if faulty or stuck could well be causing your problem.

Keith.

Hi, This problem started a couple of months after I took delivery and just before we went on holiday this year. At the time my dealer didn't have a pressure switch so we went on holiday for him to replace it on our return. It was replaced at the vans first service a few weeks back but the fault is still there.

They now think the oil pump is faulty. ???

witzend - 2015-12-02 8:38 PM

Hi what engine have you in the van if a 2.2 it could be a ford engine there have reports on other forums that the new ford transits have a faulty oil pump which is subject to factory recall

As Ninian’s motorhome is a 2014 Fiat Ducato-based Auto-Trail Ducato, it will either have a 2.3 litre or 3.0 litre Fiat (Iveco) motor. It won’t have a Ford-based 2.2litre powerplant.

Ninian, when your van is parked up is it level? The engine could be draining to the sump away from the sensor. The fact that warning goes away and doesn't come back on points me this way. I suppose though that Nick will be along soon to shoot me down in flames.

Oops forgot the biggest question "Have you checked your oil level?"

I won't be shooting anyone down in flames!

When the engine is started and while it is initially turning over with just the starter motor, there is negligible oil pressure. This is why, historically, most engine wear has occurred during starting of the engine because there is not much more than a film of oil over most of the critical moving parts. Once the engine has started there will be a significant pressure almost immediately as the oil pump begins to circulate the oil properly.

This problem with the oil pressure warning coming on regularly has not been seen on our vehicles; and some of them are left parked in all kinds of positions and angles with the exception of upside down (not yet anyway...) so this is unlikely to be the cause. The viscosity of the latest oils is incredibly low, even when starting, so it stands to reason that if the same sensor is used as was for earlier, 'thicker' oils, the pressure will be lower (which is kind of a good thing at start up and a bit of a bad thing when warm) and the sensor will quite probably not be reading enough pressure if the same one is being used as on earlier engines. As your sensor has been changed, and it is most improbable that the second one is also faulty; the next course of action would be to connect an actual measuring device to check the real oil pressure.

Quite why this is only affecting your vehicle is a mystery, so this would tend to suggest that the oil pump is not doing it's job properly. This is spectacularly unlikely, but as Holmes used to say; "Once you have eliminated all of the probable solutions, the improbable becomes the most likely" Or something like that.

Keep us posted.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, Eventually got the van back yesterday from the Fiat dealer, they said they couldn't replicate the fault so I'm no further on. I intend keeping a camera in the van and when I start it if it happens I'll take a photo and send it to them unless the fault has miraculously fixed itself.

Happy Christmas to all.

Ninian - 2015-12-18 4:18 PM

Hi, Eventually got the van back yesterday from the Fiat dealer, they said they couldn't replicate the fault so I'm no further on. I intend keeping a camera in the van and when I start it if it happens I'll take a photo and send it to them unless the fault has miraculously fixed itself.

Happy Christmas to all.

Hi Ninian,

I'm possibly clutching at straws here but do you store the vehicle outside overnight? I'll then guess that the dealer stored it inside his workshop overnight (many have to for insurance reasons)?

If so that could explain why the dealer did not see the problem as the MH would not get as cold at night inside the workshop.

And, rather than take a photo, why not video the dash on every cold start up until it happens again, this would be far more evidence than a photo.

Keith.

Archived