Omnistor 5002 awning seeds and leaves....

laimeduck

Omnistor 5002 awning seeds and leaves....

I have an occasional problem with leaves and seeds accumulating in the gap between the awning material and the curved and hinged metal cover.

The gap is about 40mm deep and less than 10mm wide. All crud leaves etc that land on the awning inevitably rolls down into this gap! We were recently parked under some eucalyptus trees and were bombarded with the small seed pod holders in their 1000's (about lentil size).

Took over an hour to poke it out with a 5mm stick and paint brush.

The problem is compounded as when the awning is deployed this gap is at best at head height, so you can only see it from either end of the awning!

The gap has to be clean otherwise the awning will not close properly!

Has anyone found this a problem / and/ or have a solution (Not parking under trees is not a solution here in South of France in 38C temps!)

Jeremy

20220629_180041.jpg.d24047addcb3c4f980cee2e781e607cf.jpg

Same problem with current Dometic and Thule fitted to previous van. I just lower the awning to eye level and brush it out with a stiff paintbrush. Once a year when I'm doing the "proper" clean I get the air compressor out to clean the midge screens and crevices, I blast anything out of the channel. Seems to work!

Battery powered pressure washer might work ?

Some seem to use the same batteries as a power drill. Ie Robie, Bosche, etc

A Google “” Battery power pressure washer “”brings up a range.

I have never seen / used one so no idea how effective they might be.

Rgds

Before retracting the awning lower it by folding the legs so it's at a level where it's most accessible. This is best done with 1 person at each end.

I use a soft brush to remove most of the debris, followed by a hand held portable vacuum cleaner (& a damp cloth if necessary)

flicka - 2022-07-02 11:27 PM

Before retracting the awning lower it by folding the legs so it's at a level where it's most accessible. This is best done with 1 person at each end.

Flika thanks ... however, with the legs lowered to their shortest, they do not touch the ground. The awning is still then about 6 feet off the ground, so I am still unable to see on the gap. We use the step, but that only allows you to clear about 2 ft.

As stated the gap is about 40 -50mm deep, and a paint brush simply doesn't get in there when its got keaves etc in. A small stick does, but it takes ages!

Jeremy

laimeduck - 2022-07-03 8:05 AM

flicka - 2022-07-02 11:27 PM

Flika thanks ... however, with the legs lowered to their shortest, they do not touch the ground. The awning is still then about 6 feet off the ground, so I am still unable to see on the gap. We use the step, but that only allows you to clear about 2 ft.

As stated the gap is about 40 -50mm deep, and a paint brush simply doesn't get in there when its got keaves etc in. A small stick does, but it takes ages!

Jeremy

According to the specs, the legs are 144cm long. Wind it out fully with the legs fully retracted but still supporting the weight of the canopy and the edge should be well below 5ft.

He Jeremy,

If you go into some of the E.Leclerc stores they have what looks like a bottle brush with quite a long flexible handle One is 8" and the other about 15" handle

They are very handy for cleaning the awning as you can bend the handle and leave your awning at a slope and run the brush down along the channel.

A little hot water poured at the higher end with a couple more runs of the brush will remove even the most stubborn debris from the channel

I came on this practice some years ago when parked up down in La Tremblade under trees and purchased two of different lengths

They worked well for the locals and me

Hope your enjoying your holidays

Regards

1429953941_Awingcleanertwolengths.jpg.61c065382ddd507c159eb8671813dc73.jpg

Archived