Onboard gas tank

Guest Paul

Hi all We are thinking of having an onboard gas tank fitted & are wanting to shop around for prices does anyone know of firms that fit them. Kind Regards Paul

I got ours from MTH Autogas. They either supply and fit at their workshops or will sell you a kit. Whatever you do its worth visiting them for advice first. Our tank is a 55 litre and the kit included a remote fuel gauge that is in the camper in clear view inside so we always know how much gas we have. Other companies also offer a similar service and Gaslow for example offer to replace your existing gas bottles with re-fillable ones in your locker and add an external filling point. For us fitting a new all in one quality tank underneath was the tidier solution and leaves the old gas locker available for other uses. It also enables a simple low technology accurate fuel gauge to be used. Have a look at MTH Autogas http://www.mthautogas.co.uk/ They were spot on for us.

Roy I seem to remember reading somewhere that you can now have fixed gas tanks on vehicles going through the chunnel so long as it is only used for domestic appliances, ie NOT for the engine! There were a couple of traders doing these replacement cylinders and we decided to work out how long it would take us to recoup the cost of the bottles, installation etc ... a barmy 10 years!!! We use our 'van all year round, using electricity rarely so most of our cooking and heating is on gas - we decided that it wasn't for us. That's taking into account that the gas itself is at least 50% cheaper than buying Calor etc but even then we didn't include any maintenance that the bottles/system may need so the return could be even longer!!!! I just wonder how many people actually stop to work out the cost before purchasing. They seem to be the new 'must have' accessories but unless you are going to travel around a lot using lots of gas as you go they really don't seem to make sense financially. Or am I missing something???

If you look at the economics of it then its the same arguement as for a Solar Panel - or even the motorhome itself! I fancied it, could afford it and now enjoy it. LPG prices vary tremendously. Worst I have seen is 42.9P / litre (Shell/Calor) and the best 29P (Morrisons) so you have to shop around. I worked it out at about a third of the cost of Calor purchased at shows. (£15.00 for 6KG) at the higher price. 1 KG of LPG = 2 litres. But the knowledge of how much you have and sheer convienience is brilliant. We used half a tank of gas during 4 weeks in France of which 2 weeks were wild camping. I also noticed at least one trader doing Gaslow bottle based conversions at Malvern. The price of a couple of these was much more than I paid MTH for our 55 litre tank kit. So haggle! Chunnel is OK if its not for propulsion and you turn it off.

hi ,just like to say i have had a gaslow single bottle system in my van since the malvern show ,also with an internal warning system and an external filling kit,which cost about £200 .after seeing this system at many shows i decided it would work out cheaper as i was paying £12.65 for a 6kg calor bottle but when i filled my gaslow bottle up at my local garage which is also a 6kg it cost me £3.80 a saving of £8.85 to fill up that one bottle so when i attend another show which gaslow are attending i will purchase the second cylinder and not use calor at all

Archived