One job leads to another

ColinM50

and of course a bigger one.

In response to another thread on how to measure accurately the contents of a gas cylinder, as suggested / recommended I bought a Mopeka gas cylinder gauge. And jolly good it is too. It's a magnetic unit, about the size of a credit card that "sticks" on the bottom of your tank and sends a signal to an app on your phone telling you how much gas is in the tank. Easy job eh? Just stick it on the tank and the jobs done. Yeah right, is anything ever that easy?

First off my gas cupboard is a bit tight so to get the tank out I have to dismantle everything. First out is the regulator, then the Calor cylinder, then the Gasit tank. As I'm doing this I notice that the base of the tank cupboard is coming apart and is, in fact quite soft and rotten, so I cut the base off and take all the old ply off. Now to make a new box. That's the easy bit and is my current job. I think the modern vernacular is "it's a work in progress". If I can post pics, I'll let you know how I get on.

As regards the gauge, it seems to be very good. My Gasit tank is apparently 67% full (it weighs 21.1 KG) and since they can only ever by filled to 80%, pretty near full, but I'll take it to our BP Autogas garage and top it up and see what it weighs then. The Calor cylinder, which I've never needed to use anyway, is 47% full and since I can now tell exactly how much is in the Gasit tank, I don't need to carry the weight of a second cylinder. So I've got a bit more room for "stuff" in the cupboard.:-S

As recommended in the earlier thread, I got it from these folk;

https://www.lpgshop.co.uk/mopeka-tank-check-remote-bluetooth-gas-bottle-level-sender/?gclid=Cj0KCQjwqPGUBhDwARIsANNwjV4F_sKd-FhiRzBw2n0eIf6iiQKXggMOeyu-WtllcyYmEm1udRtIXsAaAlo3EALw_wcB.

Not cheap at £60 but then in the words of the Loreal advert - "I'm worth it".

And it's saved me 11Kg for the Calor cylinder. Might even get me within the legal 3500KG 8-)

Just took the tank to the BP garage at Wyboston Black Cat on the A1 and filled it up - 5 litres at £1.10 per litre and the Mopeka gauge tells me it's on 90% full. So looks like a good tool to help ascertain gas usage. Might even keep a record, but I'm not good at that sort of record keeping.(lol)

Now just need to remake the gas cupboard and get it back in the m/h

ColinM50 - 2022-06-06 2:40 PM

£1.10 per litre

So a Camping Gaz 907 exchange cylinder costs £35 for about £5 worth of gas

and I use a lot so fill them myself

An intreresting gadget thats reliable enough to tell you how much you have got left

I don't know if its reliable enough to stop me overfilling the cylinders though

So I fill them on bathroom scales and check them on a spring balance

Archived