One night stays at C&CC Sites

StuartO

I did some reading around this subject recently after a contributor posted on here that C&CC applies booking restrictions (especially minimum nights stayed) on many of its Club Sites which seemed inconsistent with my experience and since finding the relevant on C&CC's webiste is far from easy, I thought I'd post a briefing.

It's not all that complicated!

1 C&CC says it appies a 2 night minimum on all pitches (on all but one Site) in High Season (but see below about grass pitches and dates for high season).

2 Likewise there is a 2 night minimum (on Service Pitches only, i.e. the posh ones) on Fridays and Saturdays (on all but one Site) all year.

3 The Site where there are never any minimum nights stay is Loch Ness Shores

4 There are other special restrictions on some Club Sites (but only on 6 of over 100 Club Sites) and these are listed here: https://www.campingandcaravanningclub.co.uk/minimumbookingperiods/

5 There are no special restrictions on one night stays at the Canterbury or Folkstone Club Sites outside High Season, even then it might be worth ringing up about a grass pitch.

6 Having said all that, C&CC also seems to have a policy of not refusing last minute one night bookings, including sometimes on line but especially if you ring up the Site directly, for its cheaper pitches, i.e. grass pitches, especially those without EHU, so those are always worth trying for close to the time.

7 None of this affects bookings at C&CC's Certified or Listed Sites, which decide their own policies and so may or may not allow one night reservations, so you need to ring up and ask.

8 None of this seems to be carved in stone either so check with C&CC website (or by phone) for the latest versions. Note however that the on-line booking system blocks one night bookings which are not allowed anyway, so that's perhaps the best way to find out. Don't forget to try to book a grass pitch without EHU if your first attempt to book a one night stop on a different sort of pitch fails.

High Season dates vary each year. Summer High Season in Scotland has finished already and England & Wales finishes on August 31st. There is a Christmas High Season from December 21st to January 1st in England & Wales and to January 2nd in Scotland. The dates for 2020 are below, the red bits being High Season.

In summary it looks complicated but if you are looking to book a one night stay at Canterbury or Folkstone to be handy for a ferry outside high season you are OK and even in high season it's worth giving the Site a ring and asking for a grass pitch without EHU. And if you are entitled to Age Concession Rates and happy with a grass pitch the charges are cheap enough to book two nights anyway, even if you only use one.

2038849239_2020Scotland.thumb.jpg.a454c475584ffc6bbee0bee60cbf72ad.jpg

451880699_2020EW.thumb.jpg.62b697c39f40cd780f2f5ab354ef5ae1.jpg

Yes, complicated and a faff if trying to break up a long journey by having one night stops. This is why I will stay with the Caravan Club but not renew my subscription with C&CC. And over 60 discount not available on any sites we stayed on over June/July so no savings at all really, AND That annoying trait of allocating pitches, instead of letting you choose from whats empty.

Rayjsj - 2019-08-23 5:27 PM

StuartO - 2019-08-23 5:08 PM

At least you don't get told off if you failto park exactly on the peg! :-D

Never happened to me in 20 years. urban legend.

Not my experience, I've been asked to move because I was a little out of line, and been given strict manoeuvring instructions to get the van inch perfect!

colin - 2019-08-24 4:45 PM

Just tried online one night booking at Moffat on 28th, was offered a hardstanding with electric, all other pitches full as it's peak season, but proves you can do it online contrary to what you've posted.

Coincidently We also stayed at Moffat C&CC site in July , we were told we Had to stay for two nights minimum, we were on our way from the Highlands down to Stranraer in Dumfries and Galloway so we would have preferred one night only. And we had no choice of alternative pitches even though the site was not full.

So, the OP is correct many C&CC sites operate minimum two nights stays. Very inconvenient.

Site peg positioning is a minor item in comparison.

Rayjsj - 2019-08-25 10:55 AM ...So, the OP is correct many C&CC sites operate minimum two nights stays. Very inconvenient. Site peg positioning is a minor item in comparison.

I appreciate that you are pretty biased towards CAMC but I don't think you have read my OP very carefully so you are giving C&CC a bad name without good reason.

Nearly all C&CC Club Sites are said to apply two night minimums in high season but outside high season, very few of them do. Even in high season there seem to be exceptions, especially if you phone up the Site directly close to the date you want to stay. So although it looks complicated and discouraging, it really isn't.

Both CAMC and C&CC have their bureaucratic side but both also have many good points. I think it's quite wrong to give the impression that there 's a world of difference between them.

Rayjsj - 2019-08-25 10:55 AM

colin - 2019-08-24 4:45 PM

Just tried online one night booking at Moffat on 28th, was offered a hardstanding with electric, all other pitches full as it's peak season, but proves you can do it online contrary to what you've posted.

Coincidently We also stayed at Moffat C&CC site in July , we were told we Had to stay for two nights minimum, we were on our way from the Highlands down to Stranraer in Dumfries and Galloway so we would have preferred one night only. And we had no choice of alternative pitches even though the site was not full.

So, the OP is correct many C&CC sites operate minimum two nights stays. Very inconvenient.

Site peg positioning is a minor item in comparison.

Moffat is a regular one night stopover for us, we usually phone ahead on the day and have never been told we need to stay for two nights, but must admit I'm not sure without checking gf's diaries if it would have been on weekends and/or high season.

Archived