Options for 2010 Mercedes Sprinter Radio Replacement

Windsurf1

Hi, I've given up with my present Sound 5 Radio fitted to my 2010 Mercedes Autosleeper. Just keeps defaulting to phone. Therefore would like to replace the unit with perhaps a media centre, ie radio, sat nav, phone? Any though or advice on a replacement unit please? Thankyou J C.

The best option in my opinion is a touchscreen unit from any one of the main brands such as Kenwood, Pioneer etc. They offer all the features you mention (and more) offer Apple carplay and Android and also can be connected to a reversing camera (if you have one or you can fit a cheaper bumper model). Alpine offer a very high end unit specifically for Mercedes Sprinter in their ILX range but other brands are cheaper with similar features.

Hi Again check for voltage drops (poor battery sometimes and corroded supply fuse) also the earth connection and of course the C block connection wiring (as you are removing the unit) Also disconnect your power supply to the dome light Then try your radio.

You can go into the secret test menu and test mode and change the Aux setting

Failing that do a reset before condemning the unit

You can also do a work around by removing the phone/mute control wire this usally prevents the dreaded switching over to Phone happening again

Best of luck with your new purchase should you wish to go that route, some good advice given above

regards and safe motor homing

1822027295_MercConectionradio2010.JPG.6e5fd66ca635f87066d53703d0a4048b.JPG

Thanks onecal. Would you believe it the radio is now working dispite numerous switch on/offs. I was about to connect a additional earth if it displayed the phone setting again but no it's working perfectly. However I'm under no illusions that it will happen again so will await the next failure and carry out your suggestions. Thankyou J C.

Yep, its gone AWOL again the radio that is. Investigation showed that there was no green wire on A2 pin. Confirming that the vehicle never had a phone set up. Eventually managed to get into the hidden menu but the only reference to phone setting was volume. So one last attempt will be to slave in an independent power and earth supply before replacement options are considered. Cheers JC.

Disconnect your power supply to the dome light. Then try your radio.

You can go into the secret test menu and test mode and change the Aux setting, Also do a soft reset.

If you have the radio removed

You may also need to clean the contacts at the rear of the front fascia panel as the contacts suffer from oxidisation quite a lot in motorhomes.They are housed behind the membrane push button pads, On removing same you can clean the contacts with a pencil eraser until bright before reassembly taking care not to damage the PCB board. This should return it to normal functions until the contacts become oxidised again if disconnecting your dome light first does not solve your problem

Thanks onecal. Noted, will try your suggestion. It does seem that maybe the power supply to the radio may have interference from the dome lights as the radio has been working initially when the door is opened. I have tried disconnects etc but the fault does not reset the radio. So an independent power supply might cure the defect?

Yes it may work but be careful of connections Condensation in motorhomes is a big killer to the head unit (careful dismantling and cleaning needed as in my previous message)

Also check your antenna connection both at radio and roof connection and all wiring for damage.as phone unit may have been fitted previously and removed (incurring damage to the wiring)

Yes the dome light can cause many issues with same so needs careful attention

Hope this helps a little , I have no idea if you need or have the skills to go deeper as replacement newer units are available with relevant connections for your Specific Sprinter

Curdle has given you some very good options.

Archived