Ouistreham dockside

MagHal

The public car park signs just outside of the ferry port area say no overnight parking for motorhomes but many people ignore the signs and park overnight and there does not seem to be any problem out of high season. Quite what would happen in season I know not?

Brittany ferries allow on site parking for around 5 euros overnight but as I have never used it I am unable to say where you would park although I believe it to be in the ferry lanes but how you pay when the ferry is shut for the night I know not and their is the risk of being awoken in the early hours to clear the lane if you are in the wrong place. Might be as well to ask Brittany Ferries first?

There is a pay and display Aire right alongside the ferry terminal and I think it is about 8 or 9 Euros payable by credit card but the machine does not always accept UK credit cards!

There are a number of other free Aires not too far away but they can become full as the evening wears on so it's pot luck and unless you get an early spot you can't always rely on there being space.

Hi.

The air right alongside the ferry terminal is good. We have stayed there several times and it is very convenient. It says pay and display but we have never been able to pay when we have been there.

I think it is 8 euros when the machine works!!

Many thanks for your replies. I'd never have known the aire was there, previously we stopped at Les Pommiers. It's OK just that bit more costly.

I've just contacted Brittany Ferries, they're OK with stopovers in the car lanes after the last ferry departure same as Portsmouth. I'm OK dockside (deafness has to have some advantages). Just have to be prepared to rise early.

Parking facilities at the UK and Continental ferry ports used by Brittany Ferries can be established though this webpage

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/information/uk-ports-parking

Parking options at the Caen(Ouistreham) ferry port can be found here

http://www.brittany-ferries.co.uk/guides/ports/caen

There is no charge for cars, caravans and motorhomes parking overnight in the embarkation area’s car lanes after the last departure of the day and if travelling on the first departure in the morning.

The “Car parking charges at the port” section of the webpage relates to the (smallish) car-park in front of the ferry-terminal’s pedestrian entrance and next to the embarkation car-lane area. This car-pak used to be free and ‘open’, but now has vehicle-related restrictions and entry/exit barriers. Unless you have a really dinky little camper I strongly advise you not to enter this car-park as the exit is particularly challenging for larger vehicles.

The Ouistreham car-parks approaching the ferry port are (to the best of my knowledge) still free of charge and motorhomes and caravans do overnight there.

Archived