Out and about again - not sure what to expect

costaexpress

Well I have the van booked in to a site for 4 nights starting April 20th. I am going to Dartmoor to get some walking in. Being retired I have always visited UK sites out of Holiday season and concentrated trips to Europe between September and June, I have found that this typically gives me the space and quiet I like when out and about. Covid of course has changed all this and I read that UK bookings have gone through the roof, and we can't, of course, go to Europe, so I am really not sure what to expect, soon find out as they say!

Guest pelmetman

We've written off another year going anywhere in the UK or abroad :-| .........

We may get to Spain in December if the EU manages to get its citizens vaccinated *-) .......

In the meantime we are getting Horace ready for the "New Normal" ;-) ........

A shower that can be used on a daily basis when the first hint of lurgy arrives 8-) ........

Plus a few other jobs like repairing the damage that I caused by jack knifing our trailer when we dashed back from Spain in March 2020 :'( ...........

But at least our 31 year old camper managed it in 3 days towing a trailer B-) .........

We are off to Exmoor for 3 days, hopefully from the 12th April, facilities on most sites are remaining closed for now, but it depends on the type of site you plan on using. Some commercial sites may be 'packing them in' so could be very crowded.

Also be aware there is no over-nighting in a Campervan or Motorhome on Dartmoor(even as a safety or check point member during the Ten Tors!) unless on a registered campsite, but tenting is allowed.

rajohno - 2021-04-03 6:08 PM

We are off to Exmoor for 3 days, hopefully from the 12th April, facilities on most sites are remaining closed for now, but it depends on the type of site you plan on using. Some commercial sites may be 'packing them in' so could be very crowded.

Also be aware there is no over-nighting in a Campervan or Motorhome on Dartmoor(even as a safety or check point member during the Ten Tors!) unless on a registered campsite, but tenting is allowed.

That makes no sense at all. Most of the wilding problems have been caused by idiots in tents. Its already happening this week in the Lake District. The serious wild campers who are wanting to get out in the wilderness are not the problem, its those that buy a £20 Festival tent, go off in packs with cars full of booze and then just leave it all behind. So they are allowed to wild on Dartmoor but Mr and Mrs retired motorhomer in a self contained motorhome that will leave nothing but tyre prints are not? 8-)

We will be picking our sites very carefully. Luckily we're retired and can go during the so called "Off season", however this year we will be using the little CL sites. Stay self contained in our "Bubble", using our own shower and toilet.

The camping regulations relating to Dartmoor currently apply from 29 March 2021 until (at the earliest) 12 April 2021, and are explained in detail on this webpage.

https://www.dartmoor.gov.uk/enjoy-dartmoor/outdoor-activities/camping

Given the evident inability of many people to act reponsibly during the UK COVID-19 epidemic, the Dartmoor regulations seem sensible enough to me. That such ‘broad brush’ regulations might inhibit all the Mr and Mrs retired motorhomers in their self-contained vehicles from overnighting at some out-of-the-way Dartmoor beauty spots is just tough luck as far as I’m concerned.

So far we have booked up - April 2 weeks in the Lake District, May 2 weeks in Peak District, June 2 weeks NE England/Scotland, July 3 weeks Wales. All at Club sites. Weekends are usually the problem as would be expected. The most popular locations are fully booked but if you are flexible then it is possible to get away.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-04 8:43 AM

The camping regulations relating to Dartmoor currently apply from 29 March 2021 until (at the earliest) 12 April 2021, and are explained in detail on this webpage.

Given the evident inability of many people to act reponsibly during the UK COVID-19 epidemic, the Dartmoor regulations seem sensible enough to me. That such ‘broad brush’ regulations might inhibit all the Mr and Mrs retired motorhomers in their self-contained vehicles from overnighting at some out-of-the-way Dartmoor beauty spots is just tough luck as far as I’m concerned.

I don't regard it as 'broad bush' but discriminatory. A tent camper must carry everything in with him to his isolated spots, which does not benefit local business in any way. Motorhomers have the ability spend locally.

I also see no effort by this Park Authority to reach out to landowners to increase the number of places for motorhomes to overnight due to the expected increase in numbers. These so called 'pop up' campsites are gaining ground, plus some authorities relaxing overnight parking rules.

747 - 2021-04-04 9:00 AM

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-04 8:43 AM

I don't regard it as 'broad bush' but discriminatory. A tent camper must carry everything in with him to his isolated spots, which does not benefit local business in any way. Motorhomers have the ability spend locally.

I also see no effort by this Park Authority to reach out to landowners to increase the number of places for motorhomes to overnight due to the expected increase in numbers. These so called 'pop up' campsites are gaining ground, plus some authorities relaxing overnight parking rules.

I agree. There must be hundreds of car parks that could be utilised for maybe a 24 or 48 hour stay either for free or a small fee or as is being done in some areas of Scotland the rules could be relaxed for pop up sites. I saw one advertised in Scotland yesterday. £10 for a night or £5 just for the use of services (Water and waste) if you are passing through. Ideal. The backpacker clause will be abused for sure.

747 - 2021-04-04 9:00 AM

I don't regard it as 'broad bush' but discriminatory...

By “broad brush” I meant that the Dartmoor regulations relating to motorhomes apply equally to responsible owners (referred to by Barry above) as well as to the irresponsible ones - and I’ve seen plenty of the latter who were ‘wildcamping’ in France.

In France at least there is a sort of ‘right to park’ rule for motorhomes, but that’s not the case in the UK. It will be interesting to see how motorhome newbies attracted by the much-advertised freedom that comes with motorcaravan ownership will get on with the harsh reality of finding in the UK an off-site overnight parking place for their 7.5m long vehicle.

Barryd999 - 2021-04-03 6:35 PM

rajohno - 2021-04-03 6:08 PM

That makes no sense at all. Most of the wilding problems have been caused by idiots in tents. Its already happening this week in the Lake District. The serious wild campers who are wanting to get out in the wilderness are not the problem, its those that buy a £20 Festival tent, go off in packs with cars full of booze and then just leave it all behind. So they are allowed to wild on Dartmoor but Mr and Mrs retired motorhomer in a self contained motorhome that will leave nothing but tyre prints are not? 8-)

As far as I can see its about money.

If Covid was their main concern they would encourage motorhomes because it is the best way to reduce infection by social distancing.

But they don't want visitors until their overpriced accommodation reopens and they can rip them off again.

I don't suppose they want the sort of people in their accommodation who prefer to spend their holiday money on booze, camp in tents and leave a mess.

The no overnighting in a Motorhome or Campervan on Dartmoor is not a new Covid restriction, it has been in place for many (10 or more ) years. Only since park rangers have been given policing powers (2017) have the rules on Dartmoor been enforced, this mainly came about due to the number of sheep, ponies and cattle that get killed due to poor driving (speeding) or stolen every year.

Sothe rangers were given the power to enforce the bylaws relevant to the area.

There are a few area's on the edge of the moor where you can park up overnight which used to be free but some now have parking charges,

I am less worried about booking a site as I do not want to stay in a car park (UK) among the vans and tents with their ferral dogs and kids, litter and late night music, I am more worried about the vast hordes which have suddenly started descending on what was once quiet and peaceful moors and hills outside of the normal holiday season. I know the wildcamping on Dartmoor debate is controversial, however, I agree with it simpy because it does a little bit to stop the place turning into a quasi gypsy camp, albeit we don't tend to leave our scrap metal behind.

Over the past 15 years motorhoming has changed dramatically. It was always easy to find a good wildcamping spot and wildcampers were accepted by the locals (usually dog walkers). I should also say that back then I was a member of both Clubs as I worked around the country and used my motorhome as my accommodation and transport. Nowadays wildcamping is a rare thing for us and some kind of Site is the norm.

We first fell foul of the Dartmoor regulations way back in the 80s when late one evening a very friendly warden gently explained that we, with our self contained facilities, no pollution way of leisure were no longer allowed to wild camp on Dartmoor.

He did allow us to stay that last night at our favourite patch but we had to be gone before nightfalll the following day.

He too seemed unimpressed as he explained that if we wanted to leave the van parked up and unoccupied at night we could sleep in a backpacker type tent anywhere out on the moor, with no toilet or waste facilities, and we could return to our purpose built motorhome during daylight hours! Crazy or what?

As we were obviously such undesirables we decided to let them have their wish and we have never been back to Dartmoor ever since!

I think we had the best years df the wild camping era which, like so many things, has been spoilt by the actions of an irresponsible minority and of so called travellers plus the arrogance and self interest of those who believe that making it impossible to wild camp will force people onto sites. Wrong!

With the advent of Brexit and Covid going abroad is much less attaractrive that it was just a short while ago and whilst we are considering getting another van, I really do think that the nomadic, leave only tyre prints, take only photographs, style of touring that we so loved has gone forever so do we really want another van or shall we stay quit while we are ahead?

Guest pelmetman
Tracker - 2021-04-04 7:44 PM

We first fell foul of the Dartmoor regulations way back in the 80s when late one evening a very friendly warden gently explained that we, with our self contained facilities, no pollution way of leisure were no longer allowed to wild camp on Dartmoor.

He did allow us to stay that last night at our favourite patch but we had to be gone before nightfalll the following day.

He too seemed unimpressed as he explained that if we wanted to leave the van parked up and unoccupied at night we could sleep in a backpacker type tent anywhere out on the moor, with no toilet or waste facilities, and we could return to our purpose built motorhome during daylight hours! Crazy or what?

As we were obviously such undesirables we decided to let them have their wish and we have never been back to Dartmoor ever since!

I think we had the best years df the wild camping era which, like so many things, has been spoilt by the actions of an irresponsible minority and of so called travellers plus the arrogance and self interest of those who believe that making it impossible to wild camp will force people onto sites. Wrong!

With the advent of Brexit and Covid going abroad is much less attaractrive that it was just a short while ago and whilst we are considering getting another van, I really do think that the nomadic, leave only tyre prints, take only photographs, style of touring that we so loved has gone forever so do we really want another van or shall we stay quit while we are ahead?

Last time I went to Dartmoor was in 1974 when I was dumped there along with the rest of my trainee cohort by the Navy with a map, a ground sheet, and a 24hour ration pack for 48 hours in the winter 8-) ..........

Still not keen to go back :D .......

Out of the blue this weekend, a motorhome trundles into our yard - our own motorhome being evident. Where can they park overnight they ask, wide-eyed? This is the South East mind. Any thoughts we have in the region (not a fount of wisdom since we never overnight in the UK except for one night at Erwin Hymer in Stafford, much to their bemusement because we snuck in before 5.00 p.m. for a following day warranty required service). Every suggestion we made to the couple was met with "been there, rejected there". Eventually taking pity on them we let them overnight on our property. I think we are fairly sociable especially to motorhome owners generally, but they did not strike me as the type to offer a convivial glass of wine. I think this problem will grow and grow. Neophyte motor-homer's desperate to experience the salesman sold 'freedom' that Derek describes, will simply create further antipathy across the UK (and beyond).

goldi - 2021-04-05 11:35 AM

Good morning,

This business about Dartmoor. It is more to do with the visual skyline in which case any tents should be green or camouflage.

So if I get the army to repaint my van green and brown will I be OK?

I suspect that it has more to do with the nasty minority who are unable to leave a location clean tidy and pollution free.

Which does beg the question - how do campers dispose of disposable waste?

costaexpress - 2021-04-04 10:14 AM

I am less worried about booking a site as I do not want to stay in a car park (UK) among the vans and tents with their ferral dogs and kids, litter and late night music, I am more worried about the vast hordes which have suddenly started descending on what was once quiet and peaceful moors and hills outside of the normal holiday season. I know the wildcamping on Dartmoor debate is controversial, however, I agree with it simpy because it does a little bit to stop the place turning into a quasi gypsy camp, albeit we don't tend to leave our scrap metal behind.

When I've had enough of nosey parkers I tell them I live local but am using the van to self isolate with covid 8-)

Works every time :D

Thai Bry - 2021-04-04 8:41 AM

We will be picking our sites very carefully. Luckily we're retired and can go during the so called "Off season", however this year we will be using the little CL sites. Stay self contained in our "Bubble", using our own shower and toilet.

Well done for making that choice, we run a CL and people seem to be under the impression because it's a five van site we will always be full when in fact we have a lot of gaps to fill. If people don't use the CL type sites they will be forced to close and we will only be left with the sites that drain the bank balance.

Quackers - 2021-04-07 8:29 PM

Thai Bry - 2021-04-04 8:41 AM

Well done for making that choice, we run a CL and people seem to under the impression because it's a five van site we will always be full when in fact we have a lot of gaps to fill. If people don't use the CL type sites they will be forced to close and we will only be left with the sites that drain the bank balance.

We like the little CL sites and the ones we like go into our little note book. We prefer the little country walks, and if there's a dog friendly local nearby we will always pop in. We've even at times asked the local landlord if we can park overnight, using our own facilities, and return the favour by dining out in their hostelry. We leave without a trace that we've been . As a well known advert says "every little helps".

Archived