Outer Hebrides

Guest Alf W

Guest Alf W
Any advice on visiting, Lewis, Harris, N & S Uist ? I have the ferries sussed but what about sites, wild camping, availability of water supply ? Are Motorhome tourists welcomed or frowned on ? Thanks in anticipation.

Send me an email and I will try to put you in touch with someone who has just returned from a couple of months there. Ray g0kyk@yahoo.com

Guest John Lewis
I have just returned from a wonderful month in the Outer Hebrides. It is a motorcaravanner's paradise. We travelled from Barra up to Lewis and down again to Harris for the ferry to Skye. (It was only in Skye that we came across 'No overnight parking') Ideal overnight places to look out for are picnic areas, bays and 'aird' At most of these places they have toilets and water taps alongside. Also, marinas and harbours are good for water,ie at Lochmaddy (N Uist) and Lochboisdale (S Uist). MMM aticles are helpful. See March 05 p.99; April 04 p97; May 04 p,78. The best map is the 'Tourist Map for Outer Hebrides' from Touist Information and craft places etc. We parked up as follows: S. Uist -(1) Askernish golf course. (There is also a picnic area further down that west coast). (2)Aird a Mhachair in the north west. Benbecula - Culla Bay (off B892) N Uist - (1)Hosta Beach (A865); (2) picnic area Sollas village (A865); (3) Museum at Lochmaddy. Harris - (1) Seilbost picnic area (A859); (2)Huisinis at end of golden road B887. Lewis - (1) Bridge to Nowhere on B895 out of Stornaway (2)Ardroil beach on the west. Follow B8011. You pay the farmer £1 each! (3) beach car park on A866 at the end of the causeway to Rubha peninsular. Hopes this helps. The best information you can get is from other motorcaravanners. You will keep meeting the same ones on your travel! John Lewis

Guest David Powell
Your information on motor caravanning in the Outer Hebrides sounds very interesting John, brings back old memories of when I was there and out on St Kilda about 50 years ago with the survey teams preparing things for the rocket range, which I assume is still there. Married a wee Scottish lassie while I was at it. I think the ferries could cope with my 3ton 18ft coach built OK. You have set me going now so must get out the maps and G.P.S. and the piggy bank, and dig a bit deeper.

Guest John Lewis
I understand that you have replied to my information to you about travel in the Outer Hebrides but I have not been able to access it. If you were seeking further info, could you send me an e-mail at johnlewismbe@tesco.net. John Lewis

Archived