Over 80 motorehome insurance.

chris

Hello all. our insurance has only gone up £20 this year and that seems reasonable as my husband is 80 during that year.

Does anyone have over 80s insurance and which companies are recommended. We are currently with Safeguard and they will continue to insure him over 80 as long as we are with them but they will not take him on if he was a new customer. I am 63 so I can easily take on the driving after that but it is better to have 2 drivers as far as i am concerned. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

chris - 2019-11-11 9:43 AM

Hello all. our insurance has only gone up £20 this year and that seems reasonable as my husband is 80 during that year.

Chris

I'd be interested to know why you think it is " reasonable as your husband is 80 " ?

;-)

malc d - 2019-11-11 2:32 PM I just don't know why anyone would think it ' reasonable '

Insurance premiums are driven by:

A) risk factors and

B) market opportunities.

Elderly drivers are more likely to have accidents and they are also getting closer to the time when they will quit driving. Insurance companies are therefore:

A) reluctant to take on new proposals from elderly drivers (why would they take on someone else's increasing risk) and

B) since this turn all elderly drivers into captive customers, exploit the opportunityit creates to apply premium increases

Fortunately I haven't yet faced an increasing premium, despite turning 75 this year, but I nearly did. I reported a clash of door mirrors to my insurers (which, I added at the time, was unlikely to result in a claim, which it didn't) but my insurer LV doubled my renewal premium, because "there is an open file". I challenged this and threatened to move all my LV policies (five or six) in a complaint to their Chief Exec and the renewal premium was promptly adjusted down again to the same as last year.

I suspect that anyone over 70 is at risk of something like this happening and as you get over 75 and them 80 the risk gets higher. This has nothing at all to do with reasonableness; it's just the way insurance companies behave.

StuartO - 2019-11-11 4:15 PM

malc d - 2019-11-11 2:32 PM I just don't know why anyone would think it ' reasonable '

Insurance premiums are driven by:

B) market opportunities.

B) since this turn all elderly drivers into captive customers, exploit the opportunityit creates to apply premium increases

Absolutely right - I think these are the major reasons for the premium hikes.

;-)

chris - 2019-11-11 6:11 PM

Thanks for the example of Adrian Flux. Will check them out too

Chris,

Be very careful of Adrian Flux and possibly other brokers for 'NET' policies which do not offer, or more importantly accrue, No Claims Discount.

I had a policy with AF for three or four years then there prices rose and I moved to another company only to find I had NO NCD to transfer and had to start basically from scratch all over again!

Make sure to at least ask the question of NCD with whichever company they recommend.

Keith.

Guest pelmetman
chris - 2019-11-11 9:43 AM

Does anyone have over 80s insurance and which companies are recommended. We are currently with Safeguard and they will continue to insure him over 80 as long as we are with them but they will not take him on if he was a new customer. I am 63 so I can easily take on the driving after that but it is better to have 2 drivers as far as i am concerned. Any advice gratefully received.

Thanks

Chris

For 20 squid I'd stick with your provider :-| .......

Archived