Over cab bed ,,, can it support me

TheLaird

I have a 2009 Compass Avantgarde 130...

The kids always used the over cab bed and we used the downstairs!!.. I am planning on going away myself and was wondering if I could use the over cab bed. I am 100kg.

Looked through the handbook but could find nothing.

Thanks for any help.

There are on-line discussions about this that may be of interest

https://tinyurl.com/y9pqvxmf

I suspect it is pretty unusual for the manufacturer of a motorhome with over-cab sleeping accommodation (eg. your Avantgarde 130) to specify a weight limit for that bed.

I would have thought a single 100kg adult should be OK, but you’d really need to confirm this with Elddis if you wanted to be sure.

(I vaguely recall a similar question being asked years ago in the Q&A section of a French motorhome magazine, with the writer saying that he and his wife were considering sleeping in his motorhome’s large over-cab bed. If I remember correctly, he said he weighed around 120kg and his wife weighed around 80kg. The advice given was that it would be inadvisable.)

I asked the same question of Swift when we bought our Lifestyle and they told me 600Kg was the limit and if I could find two people who could break the limit and test it, they'd still guarantee it'd not break. But I might have my units wrong. It might have been 600lbs. Either way not an issue I'd have thought

I don’t know how sophisticated your Avantgarde’s bed is, but I remember that our 2006-built Herald Templar’s over-cab bed had two sliding sections allowing it to be extended to full width when the bed was to be used for sleeping. Both sections were solid and the mattresses were so thin they would have been considered inadequate for use in a prison cell. We never slept in the Herald’s over-cab area, though it was invaluable for storage of bulky but light items.

Anyway, if your motorhome’s bed has proper ‘slats’, you might need to be careful not to put too much point-contact weight on them (eg. with a knee) when getting on to and off the bed. Presumably the ladder and its attachment to the bed will be sufficiently strong...

Archived