Overhead lockers

bobmaddison

As your motorhome is 2005-vintage, I think you’ll be very lucky to obtain a weight-limit figure even if you ask Hymer for it. In fact, as Hymer will have designed the roller-shutter locker to adequately cope with the relatively light weight of a small TV, I doubt that the weight of something a lot heavier being put in it was ever taken into account.

Is your roller-shutter locker as shown in the attached photo? If so, it seems a far from ideal location for a high-level microwave oven.

locker.jpg.ada9f212c8fa213401e61bfe6c0cf50a.jpg

Bob,

I would assume your MH locker was designed for a CRT TV back in 2005. If so they where very much heavier than today's flat screen variants.

A quick search gives weights of 40 to 50 pounds for a 19" or 20" CRT TV. So what is the weight of your microwave? Probably pretty similar! In fact another search shows small microvave ovens are as low in weight as 30 pounds!

My thoughts are that you should be OK with a lightweight microwave. We actually have a domestic Panasonic microwave in a similar locker in our AT and have covered thousands of miles since I fitted it without issue.

Keith.

Derek Uzzell - 2019-04-29 8:48 AM

Is your roller-shutter locker as shown in the attached photo? If so, it seems a far from ideal location for a high-level microwave oven.

We have a eye level nuke at home, (the base of nuke is 1.4m from floor), and the access to front of nuke is clear. This is about as high as I'd recommend, I've seen several vans with higher nukes (and read reviewers comments on these) they strike me as an accident waiting to happen, couple this with other furniture in the way, and I'd be vary wary of siting the nuke in the roller shuttered locker in the photo.

Hi Kieth, just for info and in appreciation of your comments, I fitted a small MW in the TV locker and it works just fine. It slides out and turns to be operated from the galley side so far without any problem or excessive stress on the fittings. Now have the versatility or the Gas oven or/and Micro Wave. I am mostly a Pierce Ping Chef when away relaxing.

Bob M

Archived