Overland to Greece??

Guest Malc T

Last year my wife and I had a wonderful time touring Greece in our camper. We travelled there via France and Italy, then taking an ANEK ferry from Ancona to Igounemitsa in Greece. We intend going back to Greece in May, but would like to drive all the way via the former Yugoslavia etc. general direction. Have any of you good people out there driven to Greece recently? If so, can you give me any tips on good routes, places to stay/visit, places to avoid, any pitfalls we may encounter or anything else you think may be of help or interest? Thanks in anticipation and happy travelling to all.

Guest Brian Kirby
Malc Definately contact the Foreign Office for the Balkan countries before you fix your route. They should be able to give sound advice on where to avoid/areas of conflict instability or just where you may encounter a hostile reception. Good luck. Sounds interesting! Brian

Malc,Croatia has quite good motorways in places and benefits being nearer the coast. Most of the roads in Bosnia are pretty awful though very picturesque.Try and steer clear of Kosovo as its still a bit behind the times and "some" of the locals are definitly not to be trusted.Make sure you stop in campsites and not aires or carparks, the whole of the Balkans area is still very unsettled, thats why we've still got troops there,I was posted there last year for 12 months,off duty, we could leave camp in civvies and go to restaurants, bars in Croatia and Bosnia without any problems but trust no one when it comes to money,if its not bolted down it will be gone,Kosovo,we still patrol with weapons loaded,hope I havent scared you off, just trying to be helpful,I would still visit the Balkans in my motorhome, but I would still be wary.

Brian, you're absolutely right. The Foreign Office site fco.gov.uk/travel is extremely useful for info re travel abroad. Since viewing it, I would recommend anyone travelling ANYWHERE abroad to look up the country/ies concerned for both useful and very specific info. Many Thanks. Malc. Ken, There is nothing quite like first hand information such as yours. I will definately steer well clear of Kosovo, possibly travelling furthur east into Bulgaria. Many thanks for your info. Malc.

Archived