Overnight Parking at Cite Europe

Cattwg

Overnight Parking at Cite Europe  

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

A thread about being unable to park overnight at Cite Europe has been running on Motor Home Fun for a while. I mention it on this forum simply to alert anyone who may be planning to stay there. It would appear that overnight motorhome parking is no longer allowed at the large carpark opposite Carrefour.

"Despite seeing absolutely no sign of any migrants and dog patrols being carried out we were asked to leave as the car park is being closed at 10pm".

Cattwg :-D

That's a bummer. I know some people seem to view it as an 'inappropriate' place to overnight but personally it is our norm as it is so handy for the tunnel. I had a look on motor home fun forum and could only see reference to there being a problem with travellers and failed to see mention of any closure.

When you say the guards said they were closing the gates did you question if you could stay. It certainly would n't bother me if I was locked within the car park - bit more secure and less disturbance from late arrivals. Or was it implied by there attitude that you had to move on?

It is/was possible to overnight down by Lidls which has the advantage of opening earlier than Carrefour but I suspect the parking area is far smaller - never tried it but I may have to soon if as you say the main car park is closed.

There is talk of illegal immigrants being a problem around that area but I have yet to see any more there than elsewhere in that locality and certainly never felt compromised by their presence. Whenever I have overnighted there has always been at least twenty or thirty vans parked up which makes one feel secure.

jak - 2019-12-09 7:15 PM

When you say the guards said they were closing the gates did you question if you could stay. It certainly would n't bother me if I was locked within the car park - bit more secure and less disturbance from late arrivals. Or was it implied by there attitude that you had to move on?

It was posted on WC that security guards asked them to leave at 10pm

The MotorhomeFun thread seems to suggest, there is currently a higher than normal occurance of illegal immigrants stowing away on motorhome bike racks, trailers etc. Presumably, UK border control have detected this increased activity and have identified a link to MH's parked opposite Carrefour. Consequently, the Cite Europe operator has been instructed to ban parking at night after 10pm.

Last year the Cite Europe camping car aire was closed for maintenance work. We arrived late evening so parked in the Lidl car park. I doubt this would still be allowed as the blanket overnight ban would appear to apply to the whole of the Cite Europe complex.

In the meantime, best to pre-plan an overnight stop elsewhere.

The following link is to the MHFun thread referred to above.

https://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/update-on-citieurope.209008/

I’m aware that some forums frown on participants providing links to other forums but, if it’s for information only (as in this case), as an O&AL forum moderator I can’t see why there should be any objection to doing so here. It’s simpler to wade through the original long MHFun discussion than ask questions or make assumptions about it that may not be relevant.

Robbo - 2019-12-09 8:30 PM ..... Last year the Cite Europe camping car aire .....

Never was a camping aire; merely parking provided for over-height vehicles unable to access the height-barriered car parks while shopping at Cite Europe. Easy pedestrian access as well as proximity to the Tunnel, hence the risk of migrant interference, despite beingoverlooked by a police station windows.

The offical (new) Calais Aire and Campsite just off the Boulevard du General de Gaulle at Bleriot Plage is only five or ten minutes away and only costs 10€ for a quiet and secure night, well away from migrants.

StuartO - 2019-12-10 9:19 AM

The offical (new) Calais Aire and Campsite just off the Boulevard du General de Gaulle at Bleriot Plage is only five or ten minutes away and only costs 10€ for a quiet and secure night, well away from migrants.

One man's meat is another man's poison; we have seen the 'new' aire and greatly dislike it It is well away from the original aire and its shops, cafes and points of interest (the mole, the beach, the harbor etc). All it is, is a soulless place to park your wheels for a few hours and a longish walk to any point(s) of interest. No thank you!

Robbo - 2019-12-09 8:30 PM ..... Last year the Cite Europe camping car aire .....

Never was a camping aire; merely parking provided for over-height vehicles unable to access the height-barriered car parks while shopping at Cite Europe. Easy pedestrian access as well as proximity to the Tunnel, hence the risk of migrant interference, despite beingoverlooked by a police station windows.

...And the new aire is close to one of our favourite restaurants the Aquar' Aile. It's at the top of a tower block with fantastic views of the Channel. It's a bit pricey so if you've already spent too much on the holiday you may want to give it a miss.

Here's a piccy.

Every time we used it there was an Aire sign displayed. The area near the Police station and Courts is where the HGV's park.at the other end of the parking area.

Hope it's a temporary ban, it's ideal for a short stop after leaving the Chunnel or waiting to catch a return train.

B-)

649862406_AireduCampingCarCite-Europe.thumb.jpg.501e4a8209841596353bd5d9f8272412.jpg

EJB - 2019-12-10 8:56 AM

It has been posted on all the other MH forums as well....can you do a list please Derek? 8-) *-) (lol) >:-) ;-)

Similar 'heads up' warnings have indeed been posted elsewhere to MHFun (this forum is obviously one example) but definitely not to ALL the other UK MH forums (There's no sign of it on the Practical Motorhome forum).

What would be the value of a list if forums other than MHFun are just repeating the Cite Europe parking caveat?

spospe - 2019-12-10 9:46 AM

One man's meat is another man's poison; we have seen the 'new' aire and greatly dislike it It is well away from the original aire and its shops, cafes and points of interest (the mole, the beach, the harbor etc). All it is, is a soulless place to park your wheels for a few hours and a longish walk to any point(s) of interest. No thank you!

As I said, it's a quiet and secure place to stay overnight yet handy for a return Channel crossing, which we like to do early in the day so as to be able to drive home once we're in UK. For that purpose we do any shopping etc before we go there early evening and then don't look for points of interest. Each to his own.

lancepar - 2019-12-10 12:42 PM

Is this the new site (?)

The “Calais Aire” marked in your picture opened in 2017 and was discussed then in this forum thread

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Calais-s-New-Aire-and-Campsite-/47091/

There are current details (and good photos) of the aire here

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/marker.php?id=26796

but it’s worth noting the most recent review (quoted below) by someone who stayed there a few days ago.

Following forum comments that vans were being moved on by security around cite europe this week, we decided to try this aire. Easy to find, only 4 other motorhomes staying overnight. Unfortunately we had 2 seperate attempts to get in to our van. First a group of 3 guys trying door handles then an hr later another single guy. Partner banged window and shouted and they walked away. Dont stay here without an alarm security. Not much sleep obviously after that!

Useful site for services though, which are outside barriers so free to drop grey waste/toilet.

Regarding the Calais aire. I have an aversion to parking areas/aires with exit barriers. ”La barrière ne fonctionne pas” would be about the limit of my French. I have seen a few people having problems exiting this aire. The couple last week were French and they were having problems paying and persuading the barrier to lift! Hence I would only use this particular aire if there were no other options – which fortunately there are.

We were using the services outside the main parking area.

Cattwg :-D

When StuartO posted about the then-new aire at Calais in 2017, he commented as follows:

...Access is via a barrier system and you must pay by credit card - and my UK Mastercard worked a treat. It's a bit of a contortion act using the barrier system because the keyboard is very low down - it would probably be perfect if you were in a wheelchair but I ended up kneeling down on the tarmac to be able to read the display and use it.

Note that while the entry barrier lifts automatically as you complete payment, the exit barrier requires you to enter a unique code which is printed on your ticket. This arrangement seems to be directed at preventing people from overstaying without paying again and it confuses the hell out of lots of people and will cause traffic jams at the exit point for sure. The MHs which left both before and after me struggled with it and I would have done had my OH not read the ticket carefully. The instructions at the barrier are not very clear, even though there is a Union Jack button to allow you to read the instructions in English...

I also fear parking places with barrier systems, having been imprisoned for a while on a French campsite in the mid-2000s. The barrier resolutely refused to lift using the key-card I had been given or the cards provided to other campers and the part-time warden could not be contacted. Eventually several sturdy Frenchmen used brute force to raise the barrier and hold it up while I drove rapidly out.

Not funny if a deadline has to be met...

Derek Uzzell - 2019-12-10 5:22 PM

When StuartO posted about the then-new aire at Calais in 2017, he commented as follows:

...Access is via a barrier system and you must pay by credit card - and my UK Mastercard worked a treat. It's a bit of a contortion act using the barrier system because the keyboard is very low down - it would probably be perfect if you were in a wheelchair but I ended up kneeling down on the tarmac to be able to read the display and use it.

Note that while the entry barrier lifts automatically as you complete payment, the exit barrier requires you to enter a unique code which is printed on your ticket. This arrangement seems to be directed at preventing people from overstaying without paying again and it confuses the hell out of lots of people and will cause traffic jams at the exit point for sure. The MHs which left both before and after me struggled with it and I would have done had my OH not read the ticket carefully. The instructions at the barrier are not very clear, even though there is a Union Jack button to allow you to read the instructions in English...

I also fear parking places with barrier systems, having been imprisoned for a while on a French campsite in the mid-2000s. The barrier resolutely refused to lift using the key-card I had been given or the cards provided to other campers and the part-time warden could not be contacted. Eventually several sturdy Frenchmen used brute force to raise the barrier and hold it up while I drove rapidly out.

Not funny if a deadline has to be met...

We've used that Aire several times since that was posted and everyone seems to have got the hang of using it now - not seen anyone struggling.

We have used the Aire several times and it's okay, not as good as the Beach Aire for the frites, restaurants and people watching.

The paying system is very difficult for me though, Iam 6'4'' tall, need two walking sticks to be mobile and the screen is painfully low for me to use.

Otherwise, not a bad Aire

Pete

Robbo - 2019-12-09 8:30 PM

“..... there is currently a higher than normal occurance of illegal immigrants stowing away on motorhome bike racks, trailers etc.”

But how would they know? They never check!!! That’s just bulls**t because that TV programme embarrassed them because they never check anything and prefer to sit in their little hut.

We have never been stopped and never checked or searched in all the years we have been crossing the channel. No one has EVER looked inside our vehicle or our bike rack.

I suspect this is true of virtually everyone here.

Way2Go - 2019-12-13 10:31 AM

Robbo - 2019-12-09 8:30 PM

“..... there is currently a higher than normal occurance of illegal immigrants stowing away on motorhome bike racks, trailers etc.”

But how would they know? They never check!!! That’s just bulls**t because that TV programme embarrassed them because they never check anything and prefer to sit in their little hut.

We have never been stopped and never checked or searched in all the years we have been crossing the channel. No one has EVER looked inside our vehicle or our bike rack.

I suspect this is true of virtually everyone here.

The last two times we've come back the van has been thoroughly searched by French and British border control before leaving France.

"No one has EVER looked inside our vehicle or our bike rack. I suspect this is true of virtually everyone here."

Not true in my case. They don't check every time, but certainly more often than not, and I regularly see them checking others.

Archived