Overnight in Portsmouth

Guest Rees

In August we shall be travelling from Portsmouth to France early in morning (8.30 am sailing). Suggestions as to where we might park overnight will be welcomed. Is it possible to park overnight on the front at Southsea?

Rees, Whilst in the past going out via Portsmouth, we have seen people parked up for the night, in the holding Car Park at the terminal. There is a Caravan Club site at Rooksbury Park nr Wickham, about twenty minutes to half an hour from Portsmouth, west side, use the M27 to get in to the Docks. Not sure about Parking along the front at Southsea. Good luck. David

In the Docks. You should also be quite secure. They probably speak English as well! Or If you want to "Wild Camp" there are several places on the top of Portsdown Hill overlooking the town. Burgers will be on hand, but so will the local boy racers.

Guest Derek Uzzell
Rees: I suggest you ask the question again, say in June/July. The waiting-area for non-freight travellers at Portsmouth's cross-Channel ferry port was heavily re-jigged in 2004 making extended parking more awkward. Conversely, P&O has ceased (or will cease?) Portsmouth-Cherbourg services, which should potentially free up space. Time will tell what the overall effect will be. We used to overnight on the waiting-area, but only on the way back. We did this several times with no difficulty, but the last time was in early August and available parking space was very tight. It really depends on when you intend to arrive at Portsmouth - if it's after the last ferry out (which probably means after midnight) you should have no problems I think. I expect you could park overnight along the Southsea front, but I don't know if there are any regulations in force. I've seen the occasional motorhome there when we've being going out on a midday boat: again I've no idea if this these were day-trippers or had been there overnight (probably the former I suspect). Personally, I wouldn't consider it. Any major port has a reputation for crime and Portsmouth is no exception.

Guest mike turner
You could try the fish dock car park in old Portsmouth next to the iow ferry, but there's probably no overnighting signs. Sea front wise, best at Eastney end of Southsea (beyond the old royal marines barracks). C & CC site called Chichester is actually on A259 between Emsworth & Chichester, about 15 minutes drive to ferry port - a safe overnight.

Guest pete walker
hi,there is a campsite at the eastney end(southsea caravan activity park) this is not my favorite site though, and quite expensive, we have overnighted on the carpark by the fair lovely spot and despite the signs it is tolerated, can't say it was a relaxing stay although there were other vans with us (boy racers ect) don't think i would stop there again in a hurry.someone else told us about the car park in old portsmouth but never got round to trying it though, but will next time we are down there. pete

On the docks Last time we went from Portsmouth several people had stayed overnight Similarly returning from Bilbao. You have to use your own services

Guest wendy curry
we travelled over from northern ireland and i can assure you rookesbury park - the caravan club- was a welcome haven and very handy to the port. at rush hour allow at least half an hour to get into the port bon voyage!!

Archived