Overnight on the A26 between Bethune and Saint-Quentin

slowdriver

We regularly travel south down the A26 from Calais to around Troyes. Normally this is after a 2.5hr drive from Oxford to Folkestone, then Tunnel, then onto Troyes. It's an early 6:00 am departure from Oxford, morning round the M25 and arrival in Troyes around 16:00-17:00 (local). That's about 8/9 hrs total travelling time including the tunnel, stops etc.

This time, later this month, we intend to try a cheaper (-£80) late night crossing Eurotunnel, (with the benefit of a hopefully quieter/quicker trip round the M25) arriving in Calais around 11:00 local time and then drive about an hour or 90 minutes down the A26 and heave to at one of the service stations on the A26 and grab a few hours sleep before a slower drive down the N roads to Troyes (saving around €25 on tolls),arriving in time for lunch.

Has anyone tried this? and overnighted at any of these: km 54 - Aire de service de Rely, km 89 - Aire de Souchez, km 121 - Aire de Baralle?

These are all service stations with fuel, toilets and all the usual. I appreciate that they are likely to be noisier and better lit than an a simple Aire. However the current thinking is that southbound these are likely to be reasonably secure especially once you are 90 km or so away from the coast. Has anyone any experience of this.?

Personally I would never sleep or leave the van unattended on a service area in any country, especially one where the language is different.

I no longer have an aires book but there used to be several easy to find aires in and around villages and towns a mile or two off that main road and whilst they might involve a longer drive they would likely be safer and quieter.

Tracker - 2022-06-07 5:16 PM

Personally I would never sleep or leave the van unattended on a service area in any country, especially one where the language is different.

I no longer have an aires book but there used to be several easy to find aires in and around villages and towns a mile or two off that main road and whilst they might involve a longer drive they would likely be safer and quieter.

I take your point, and if we had been travelling during the day and arriving before dusk then I would do exactly as you suggest. However at 1:30am it seemed easier to simply heave to on the Peage. The camper is a PVC with additional deadlocks on all the doors, except the habitation side door, which can be jammed internally with a customer made security solution (aka a broom handle).

Den - 2022-06-07 5:17 PM

Wife and I have done this many times and felt quite safe.

We do park quite close to entrance to the services

Not found the noise to be a problem.

We’ll be doing the same mid August

Thanks - and when you have done this was this on the A26 and at any of the services mentioned, and if so which one?

I often overnight on autoroute services, usually pick a spot near the service station area or close to the truck parking but not so close as to be within earshot of freezer units! I try to avoid the nearest service area to a large town/city. Quite a number of years since I've used the A26 preferring western France A16, A28 RN 10 etc. Never had a problem over what must be several hundred nights, mainly late autumn early spring on the various routes to southern Spain, Morocco occasionally Germany.

Was a time I invariably searched out a campsite or aire, but for just an overnight stop I eventually couldn't be bothered with the inevitable off main road detours and off season closures.

With so much of France to see and so many Aires in villages or towns and usually very easy to locate and often free to use and close to local shops we never felt the need to stop on any main road service station.

We were on holiday, why the almighty rush to get anywhere different, enjoy where you are, relax, support the local economy who have so graciously provided the Aire.

Perhaps ours was an 'outdated' philosophy?

We have used Aire de Baralle and found it absolutely fine.

We’re always limited on time and we aim for areas we like, so a overnight stop after crossing the channel via the tunnel comes in handy.

It’s rare we use sites and like aires all over France and like most have our favourites.

We normally use the tunnel 5 times a year using the frequent travel scheme.

Now not being offered.

We are very careful and over the last 20 years have only disliked 1 Aire and moved after a few mins.

It didn’t feel right.

Motorway services are an ideal day or night stop.

Much quieter at night.

Tracker - 2022-06-07 7:31 PM

With so much of France to see and so many Aires in villages or towns and usually very easy to locate and often free to use and close to local shops we never felt the need to stop on any main road service station.

We were on holiday, why the almighty rush to get anywhere different, enjoy where you are, relax, support the local economy who have so graciously provided the Aire.

I don't disagree with your philosophy at all, and it's not at all outdated. And clearly it worked for you. But this is a straw man argument, i.e it's just irrelevant to our situation.

We have seventeen days in total for our summer trip - it's my wife's (who still works God Bless Her) two week summer break + one flex day. We normally do five to six days walking in the Alps, three to fours days visiting friends near Florence, three days in Piemonte eating en route or on the way back from Florence. That's twelve to thirteen days which leaves us between two and four main travel days to get where need to go and get back. So our strategy is peddle to the metal, as many hours as I can manage at a stretch - so it's essentially two stops to Florence: Troyes first, then Alps - walk, and then Florence. It has it's challenges - solid route planning and some early starts but for a reason. Which is: it's what we like.

Six days strenuous exercise, four days whooping it up with some other disgraceful pensioners, and three days eating/drinking out. The rest is just travel. If my wife was retired it would be a different story. She ain't and buys her share of diesel/food/wine with her salary. When she is we will meander as you recommend.

Fast toll routes are my friends, fast non-toll routes are my best mates.

Den - 2022-06-07 7:43 PM

We have used Aire de Baralle and found it absolutely fine.

Motorway services are an ideal day or night stop.

Much quieter at night.

Just what I needed to hear.

We will see how it plays out.

Thanks.

simian - 2022-06-07 6:15 PM

I often overnight on autoroute services, usually pick a spot near the service station area or close to the truck parking but not so close as to be within earshot of freezer units! I try to avoid the nearest service area to a large town/city. Quite a number of years since I've used the A26 preferring western France A16, A28 RN 10 etc. Never had a problem over what must be several hundred nights, mainly late autumn early spring on the various routes to southern Spain, Morocco occasionally Germany.

Was a time I invariably searched out a campsite or aire, but for just an overnight stop I eventually couldn't be bothered with the inevitable off main road detours and off season closures.

Most helpful Thx. I did the route west of Paris for the first time (in the van) in February solo on my five week trip to Spain and found the Aire in Evreux and the small Aire in Roullet-Saint-Estèphe were perfect for my needs.

Tracker - 2022-06-07 7:31 PM

We do exactly the same as you snd have done for many years. Often we have not paid any fee for any aire at all infact in the summer of 2020 we had two weeks fee free and we always have the best of holidays just pottering and soaking up the culture and sights. As to parking up at a motorway aire, why would you want to do that? When there is a quiet safe fire just a few kilometres away.

Hi

Times are a changing and Motorhome parking on service stations overnight has become more risky over the years.

Why not take Trackers advice and use and Aire with hopefully more safety and a little quitter

We have all heard the stories (we been doing it for years and never broken into and likewise of late we hear more and more, we got robbed on one)

So it's your personal choice,

Hope you have a lovely holiday

Regards

Much depends on particular circumstances. For instance I happen to take up to a couple of weeks getting to or from the south of Spain covering only up to 200 miles a day, being early winter or early spring daylight is in short supply, and looking for a campsite or even an aire (unless conveniently nearby) just isn't worth the effort and time involved in leaving the main road.

I'm also averse to the possibility of perhaps paying €s for a night times parkup with very limited services.

Personally I think the internet and particularly forums give a distorted view of the realities associated with motorway services overnighting, Not to say I would be overly happy to overnight in say a service area on the A7 near Barcelona, or Marseille,

but even these hotspot events are overwhelmingly opportunistic bag snatchings or similar

Of course when I get to the sunshine, circumstances change.

True , again it's down to personal choice , if one wants to take a chance with your expensive motorhome and belongings in present times with an increase in Motorhome crime reported by fellow Motorhomers in motorway service stations (who have used them for years without incidence in the past) I personally will pay a little extra for security and hopefully a quite night's sleep in present times

Regards

onecal - 2022-06-08 3:04 PM

True , again it's down to personal choice , if one wants to take a chance with your expensive motorhome and belongings in present times with an increase in Motorhome crime reported by fellow Motorhomers in motorway service stations (who have used them for years without incidence in the past) I personally will pay a little extra for security and hopefully a quite night's sleep in present times

Regards

Any increase in reports (not something I've perceived) of motorway services crime may well be down to the increase in motorhome ownership over the last few years, was insurance claiming in anyway involved if you know what I mean! Who really knows?

Sometimes someone raises an issue, soon after there's a surge of similar incidents reported. Difficult to determine if it is indeed a genuine general increase. I'm mindful of the 'Gassing Syndrome' version...... you know, the situation where one M/homer reports being gassed and robbed, soon after there's a spate of gassing incidents reported. Often accompanied with an insurance claim for loss of a Rolex and £2000 cash. I've noted a decrease in such reports recently I wonder why?

Particularly in out of season occasions there are times when a busy 24hr motorway/autoroute service area I've found to be infinitely more inviting than parked alone in the gloomily lit aire alternative near a dodgy looking neighbourhood.

It's not only the hoodlums you have to worry about. A few years ago we were going skiing with caravan to the La Clusaz area, got off ferry and drove to Sommesous aire/ service stop deep in French redneck country near Vitry le Francois and Troyes. It was crammed with trucks. Ate a meal, then went to sleep about 23.00. At 02.30 someone trying to break the door down and shouting.

2 Gendarmes ... said you go in 2 minutes or else. I complained and he got even more agitated I decided to comply as they were nasty looking bods. They were going round telling everyone to go in no uncertain terms!

Don't need to use autoroute aires now and don't use Autoroutes unless they are free or simply to get round major cities. We have no time pressures, so enjoy rural France on the D roads.

Jeremy

It is not irrelevant unless you choose to see it that way, but that is your choice as you only have yourselves to please, it matters not to the rest of us.

We saw a different perspective. We too have covered prodigious mileages daily to get somewhere and then take it easy for a day to recover and we found more of a holiday feeling to take it a wee bit easier and enjoy the journey with stops and diversions along the way as an integral part of the holiday.

Sometimes it is better to travel at leisure than to arrive knackered.

I can see your point but if time is that short we would choose not to go so far as our solution to the issues.

Good luck and happy travels.

PS We toured Scandinavia some years ago and covered 7000 miles in 6 weeks to the Nordkapp and back so I am aware of long distance driving and it's pleasures and pains!

Initially I thought it must have been because you were in a caravan (jest), but then I see everyone was being evicted, even the truckers I presume?

Nevertheless a rare incident I would hazard. Even when a nuclear cargo entourage with massive police and army presence came into an autoroute service area I happened to be parked up in, no one was requested or forced to b****r off.

Archived