Overwinter in Spain ?

7839278_7

Is anyone planning to overwinter in Spain (like we used to pre-covid/brexit) for more than 90 days ? As far as I can tell its a visit to the Spanish embassy in London to apply, €80 each, with ferry and pitch all fully booked. Plus of course the ever changing Covid regs. We are not looking for should we / shouldn't we comments just info on the technicalities please.

thanks all.

We’ve booked for 88 days ( inc Santander/ Portsmouth ferry).

What does your 80 euros visit to the Spanish Embassy buy you ? The last time I looked buying a visa was somewhat fraught and there was some doubt as to whether it was for holidays. I’d be delighted if this has changed.

Sorry you only got one negative reply, Brexit has skuffered our plans as well . I was wondering how to get around this problem, I thought applying for a visa you had to jump through a lot of hoops ect to get? I will watch your post with interest. Maybe you should refraze and repost to get a better response. Regards Tringy

Can the O/P post the Url that he/she used to obtain this information.

There are some sites out there which look semi-official but I think are not.

As best I can tell this is the official site:

http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Portal/en/ServiciosAlCiudadano/InformacionParaExtranjeros/Paginas/RequisitosDeEntrada.aspx

and on that page or links there from it says:

TRAVEL TO SPAIN FROM UK

From 00:00 of May 24th, travellers from United Kingdom will be allowed to freely enter Spain for non-essential purposes, such as tourism, and stay in Spain without a visa for a maximum period of 90 days within 6 months. (https://www.boe.es/boe/dias/2021/05/21/pdfs/BOE-A-2021-8449.pdf)

and also

In compliance with EU Regulation 2018/1806 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 14 November 2018 British passport holders travelling to Schengen countries for holidays, business or to visit family do not require a visa for stays of up to 90 days in a 180 day-period, provided the visit is not for gainful activity. Please note that the 90 days will start counting from the date they enter any of the Schengen countries, including Spain.

I am not aware of any visa that you can apply for that achieves what the O/P wants. - i.e to over-winter in Spain beyond 90 days.

we have wintered in spain for the last 25 years but covid put a stop to that also this winter the same but hopefully winter 22/23 we will be going again plus as my wife is irish we thought that we could be able to go for the full 6 months with her Irish passport, then the problem arose that the dog has to have a AHC which only last for 4 months from issue, we might still get around that problem by getting a AHC from our Spanish vet after 3 months out there so that the dog will have a valid AHC to return to the UK, still trying to sort that out

slowdriver - 2021-06-22 12:39 PM

I am not aware of any visa that you can apply for that achieves what the O/P wants. - i.e to over-winter in Spain beyond 90 days.

This is an unofficial site but provides a good explanation of the proposed visa method https://www.aplaceinthesun.com/articles/2021/02/options-for-brits-after-brexit-non-lucrative-visa . However I suspect it will require direct entry and exit from Spain as the 90 day rule will continue to apply to intermediate countries (eg France).

BruceM - 2021-06-22 1:01 PM

....... However I suspect it will require direct entry and exit from Spain as the 90 day rule will continue to apply to intermediate countries (eg France).

Very Useful. Many thanks for the link.

However I cannot see how a Non-lucrative Visa will get round the Schengen 90/180 restrictions that kick in as you enter France in a camper en-route to Spain. It's not as though you can stop the 90 day clock ticking by waving your Spanish visa in the air as you exit France and cross the Pyrenees in your camper. Pity.

I would feel safer in spain, subject to travel restrictions, I have contact with some people that live in and touring at the moment and they all have the opinion that they feel far safer out there as the covid rules are stuck to and enforced much more Strickly.

tringy - 2021-06-22 10:38 AM

Sorry you only got one negative reply, Brexit has skuffered our plans as well . I was wondering how to get around this problem, I thought applying for a visa you had to jump through a lot of hoops ect to get? I will watch your post with interest. Maybe you should refraze and repost to get a better response. Regards Tringy

My apologies if you took my post as being negative. It certainly was not meant to be. I am genuinely interested in finding a way round the 90/180 day restrictions this winter. To that end I have been in contact with both the Spanish Embassy in London and the Foreign Office. Neither can really answer my questions nor do they suggest there is a long stay tourist visa solution at the moment.

We have made use of the handy British government calculator and managed to work out how to have 88 days in Spain and , later, one month in the rest of Europe but this is a compromise on our normal 5 months touring.

Please could you provide a link to The British Government Schengen calculator? I've found a couple on the web but not a specifically government one. I've tried Googling, a couple of variations, but nothing that looks like a British Government calculator shows.

Cattwg :-D

Cattwg - 2021-06-22 2:26 PM

Please could you provide a link to The British Government Schengen calculator? I've found a couple on the web but not a specifically government one. I've tried Googling, a couple of variations, but nothing that looks like a British Government calculator shows.

It’s been withdrawn. The footprint still comes up on Google but it is no longer available. There are other Schengen area calculators which seem to do exactly the same job ie you enter the dates you want to be in a a Schengen country and you are told if that is permitted by the regulations. By shifting dates a little you can get the green light. All we have to hope for, at the end of February, is that Brittany Ferries sail as planned. Twice before we have had to drive back through France as the sailing has been cancelled.

See also:

https://committees.parliament.uk/writtenevidence/6891/html/

Thank you for the reply. I've tested a couple of the calculators and they seem OK. I was just interested that our Government had posted one. The link makes interesting reading. It's dated June 2020 I wonder if there's an update. But the wheels of government grind exceeding slow.

tringy - 2021-06-22 10:38 AM

We have made use of the handy British government calculator and managed to work out how to have 88 days in Spain and, later, one month in the rest of Europe but this is a compromise on our normal 5 months touring.

If you want a reliable and easy to follow calculator this is straight forward.

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/visa-calculator/

Whether you plan will work can soon be tested. You can certainly have 88 days in Spain but you do have to wait a while after you return to the UK before you can have a further month in the rest of Europe.

For instance if you were to enter Schengen at a channel port on Nov 1st, return UK 88 days later, which is Jan 27th, then the first date you could re enter and stay for a month would be April 29th.

Unless the calculator is incorrect which I do not believe it is.

Hi All, Thanks for the replies much appreciated. We loved out first winter tour in 19/20 but it certainly looks like 21/22 is a challenge. I haven't found anything that makes a 90+ days visa an easy choice and with the variable Covid regs it looks like a 3 month tour is the only sensible option, I expect the insurance situation will also be tricky. Ah well we miss some the winter. Best of luck to all travelling anywhere this year and lets hope things calm down a bit on all fronts Brexit and Covid in the future. Stay safe and enjoy your travels.......cheers :-S

Archived