Oyster 2

Andyf

I will try and keep this brief! I bought my Motorhome about 12 months ago and have not used the Satellite system until now. After problems with automatic search which couldn’t find a signal, I got a satellite engineer to have a look. We have concluded that the system works fine by manually adjusting the dish, but The system probably requires a software upgrade. Now, here is the problem, I can’t find the control box! The operating control device is present with the western connection coming in, and the coax cable from the control box is plugged into the receiver. (In my case a Maxwell Box.) By following the wires, they seem to disappear into the roof, but can I find the box! Can anyone give me clues to where it might be and what it looks like, ie shape, colour etc. I would have assumed it was somewhere accessible as it needs coax in and out, power in and out, and therefore a reasonable amount of space around it. I have written to the previous owner but had no reply, and I might contact Oyster to see if there was a usual place to site the box. My Motorhome is a Bustner Delfino on a Renault chassis if that helps! I have looked in all cupboards, garage, under seats, etc etc. Am I missing something obvious?

Tried to keep this short but still quite a lengthy post!,

Any advise, suggestions welcome, thanks.

My Oyster control box is above the hab door behind the panel containing the heating and electric controls.

You need to unscrew the panel to gain access to the Oyster brain box. I don't exactly know what you would achieve by finding the brain box.

If you have a control panel with a map - this cannot be updated. If you have a smaller control panel (7 x 14cm) this can be updated with revised current transponder frequencies.

Hi Robbo, thanks for that. I have the small control unit. How simple is it to do what you suggest? I was under the impression I had to find the control box, but from your reply this would seem unnecessary which sounds like a bonus.

The UK agent for Oyster is Oyster Sat-Tech Ltd. Speak to Anthony Read or his assistant and they will talk you through the procedure to update the system. Tel 01858 575 928 based in Welford, Northants. They are very helpful and the service is free.

It might be advisable to tell them at the outset that you've had a previous satellite technician try to fix it. If the guy has accessed the "hidden menu" he may have messed things up. If this is the case, you may need to find the Oyster brain box and post it to Anthony to be reconfigured for a fee.

However, I suspect it's just a matter of updating the transponder frequencies over the phone.

Best of luck. Tell us how you get on. It may help other forum members with similar problems.

Andy, see the below link to the Ten Haaft Site

https://ten-haaft.com/rmc-en/updates-oyster/

Once you have identified what unit and configuration you have you may be able to download the relevant software/firmware FOC, and after reading the instructions it may be something that you can do quite easily. If in doubt seek professional advice

You didn't say whether your system was new a year ago, but you will see from the available updated that they are all in fact dated.

hope this helps

Archived