Oyster Satellite dish converted to Mifi receiver?

curdle

i took delivery of a motorhome with a special anniversary package, which included amongst other unspecified items a Hymer branded Oyster satellite dish. I do not watch television and I notice that Oyster have a product that receives and boosts wifi signals. Anybody know if it is possible to convert my dish to wifi only or with modification to receive TV and wifi signal?

I don’t know if it’s technically possible, but bearing in mind that a quick google search shows a price point for the internet via satellite dish just over £4300, to which you’d have to add the cost of a monthly contract, unless you have very particular needs for internet access, i’d be very surprised if it made any financial sense. An unlocked 4G mifi costs around £80, and takes up very little space.

If it is a standard TV satellite dish, then the answer is No.

Satellite TV works at a completely different frequency (~11 GHz) whereas Wifi is 2.4 or 5GHz.

The LNB on the dish is only a receiver. WiFi needs a transmitter & receiver to function.

You will still need a Wifi repeater unit.

The dish is directional and needs to point towards the satellite, so even if you could solve all of the above, you would need to point the dish towards the Wifi antenna.

There is such a thing as satellite broadband, but this is different again.

mifi (using 3G or 4G mobile phone network) seems the best choice for most people.

• 3 weeks later...

I made myself a directional wifi antenna using a stainless steel expanding salad bowl and a usb wifi antenna with an usb extension lead. Works quite well

So you may find that you could make your own home brew wifi chaser using the sat dish

My only concern is that a sat dish aims up to the heavens, getting to track along the horizon could be a issue.

Rgds

Although this technology is beyond my complete understanding I can hear the distant voice of John Noakes saying “ This is one I made earlier and we will be sending you a Blue Peter Badge” :-D For my own viewing of TV abroad I have an iPhone with relevant apps loaded I’ve discovered Apple have made a link lead you plug into your phone and then into your TV Via a HDMI lead and whatever you see on your phone is displayed on your TV. The link lead is a bit pricey at some £40 and cheap ones are available I have found these leads to not work the same as the Apple ones. This might be old tech for thoughs in the know but for me it’s another way to watch TV. I have a SIM only contract with 30gb a month so should be enough as I don’t watch that much TV. The dish on my van has been redundant a few years now and I may remove it at some point and as Witzend link shows I’ll start eating egg & beans :-D

Do not confuse blocking the signal from one or more directions with any sort of gain. Any bit of metal will block a signal but will not give any gain. To achieve gain at the frequencies mentioned will need some precision construction and a lot of maths.

At these frequencies I would buy a proper antenna, and I am used to making antennas but for much lower frequencies that are a bit easier to construct.

Geoff G4LXI ( radio ham )

Archived