You are logged in as a guest. 
  Home Forums Home  Search our Forums Search our Forums    Log in to the Forums Log in to the Forums  register Register on the Forums  

Forums ->  Motorhomes -> Motorhome Matters
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Format:  Go
P0638 Fiat Ducato 3.0 2007 Fault Code
AuthorMessage
usertrialsrider
Posted: 14 July 2016 2:34 PM
Subject: P0638 Fiat Ducato 3.0 2007 Fault Code

Gets involved

Well I decided to buy a cheap code reader after the engine management light came on. Plugged it in and code P0638 comes up. It says throttle actuator control range / performance bank 1. Was wondering if anybody could explain the possibilities of what this means ? The engine light is not on permanently. It seems to come and go.
usereuroserv
Posted: 14 July 2016 2:58 PM
Subject: RE: P0638 Fiat Ducato 3.0 2007 Fault Code

Epic contributor

Hello,

This most likely refers to a problem with the throttle body. This is an aluminium elbow with an electrical connection underneath and it is located at the front of the engine between the head and the radiator assembly above the inlet manifold. Early versions of this vehicle have had many problems with throttle bodies and by now i would have thought that the majority have been changed for the later version.

There is a metal flap inside the body that should return to the closed position within 20 seconds of the engine being switched off, and this is normally audible. If the flap is stuck or indeed broken, it will be resting in positions that are not as expected by the ECU. It opens and closes during use in order to obtain the desired air pressure in the inlet manifold; the balance of air pressure in the induction system is very important. The light will come on if the ECU has tried to operate the throttle body or the EGR valve and it has not resulted in the required pressure. Sometimes vehicles can carry on being operated for some time without any noticeable effect on the way that it drives but eventually the ECU will throw it's toys out of the pram and invoke a limp mode with restricted power. Once this happens, the problem has to be solved. This will normally involve replacing the throttle body and often the control solenoid will have been over-worked and over-heated and will require replacement too. It is so unlikely as to be able to rule out a problem with the EGR valve itself because they almost never go wrong.

I hope this helps; please do keep us updated.

Nick
usertrialsrider
Posted: 14 July 2016 4:05 PM

Gets involved

euroserv - 2016-07-14 2:58 PM

Hello,

This most likely refers to a problem with the throttle body. This is an aluminium elbow with an electrical connection underneath and it is located at the front of the engine between the head and the radiator assembly above the inlet manifold. Early versions of this vehicle have had many problems with throttle bodies and by now i would have thought that the majority have been changed for the later version.

There is a metal flap inside the body that should return to the closed position within 20 seconds of the engine being switched off, and this is normally audible. If the flap is stuck or indeed broken, it will be resting in positions that are not as expected by the ECU. It opens and closes during use in order to obtain the desired air pressure in the inlet manifold; the balance of air pressure in the induction system is very important. The light will come on if the ECU has tried to operate the throttle body or the EGR valve and it has not resulted in the required pressure. Sometimes vehicles can carry on being operated for some time without any noticeable effect on the way that it drives but eventually the ECU will throw it's toys out of the pram and invoke a limp mode with restricted power. Once this happens, the problem has to be solved. This will normally involve replacing the throttle body and often the control solenoid will have been over-worked and over-heated and will require replacement too. It is so unlikely as to be able to rule out a problem with the EGR valve itself because they almost never go wrong.

I hope this helps; please do keep us updated.

Nick

Thanks for your response. I will have a listen and see if I can hear the throttle body returning after engine is switched off. It would explain why the light is intermittent as maybe sometimes the flap is working and sometimes not.
userGram
Posted: 14 July 2016 9:54 PM

Pops in from time to time

I had the same fault code reading on my 2009 3.0 litre Boxer a couple of years ago.
I removed the throttle body and thoroughly cleaned it, and the internals of the actuating solenoid.
As I believed the problem to be caused by water running off the engine cover on to the solenoid, I sealed the solenoid well and added an extension to the engine cover to deflect the run-off away from the solenoid.
Touch wood, the problem has not re-occurred.
I can post photos of the throttle body assembly if that helps.

G

PS There is a discussion on this issue, albeit centred around the 2.3l engine, at this thread: http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/FIAT-X250-2-3Ltr-Engine-problem/34024/

usertrialsrider
Posted: 15 July 2016 8:27 AM

Gets involved

Gram - 2016-07-14 9:54 PM

I had the same fault code reading on my 2009 3.0 litre Boxer a couple of years ago.
I removed the throttle body and thoroughly cleaned it, and the internals of the actuating solenoid.
As I believed the problem to be caused by water running off the engine cover on to the solenoid, I sealed the solenoid well and added an extension to the engine cover to deflect the run-off away from the solenoid.
Touch wood, the problem has not re-occurred.
I can post photos of the throttle body assembly if that helps.

G

PS There is a discussion on this issue, albeit centred around the 2.3l engine, at this thread: http://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/FIAT-X250-2-3Ltr-Engine-problem/34024/

Yes some photos would be helpful. Thanks.
userGram
Posted: 15 July 2016 9:01 PM

Will do on Monday, when I get home.

G
userGram
Posted: 17 July 2016 3:54 PM

Image hosted by servimg.com

The first image shows the actuator separated from the body before being cleaned up and lubricated. The remaining pictures show the result of the clean-up operation.

G

Edited a couple of times to get the thumbnails to show!

Edited by Gram 2016-07-17 4:16 PM
usertrialsrider
Posted: 17 July 2016 9:09 PM

Gets involved

Gram - 2016-07-17 3:54 PM

The first image shows the actuator separated from the body before being cleaned up and lubricated. The remaining pictures show the result of the clean-up operation.

G

Edited a couple of times to get the thumbnails to show!

That really does help. Thanks. Is it a rad off job to get to it ? Looks a bit awkward to get too. My fault code seems very intermittent. Ive got a family van holiday coming up in 2 weeks and I'm worried the damn van is going to end up on an rac truck with us in it. With work etc I'm gutted but I may have to take it to the garage as I just haven't got the time to fiddle. I'm certain it is the throttle actuator.
userGram
Posted: 17 July 2016 9:27 PM

Yes, the bolts are a bit fiddly.

One in particular needs a flexi drive, a knuckle joint or one of those sockets which allow a bit of movement of the drive.

I managed to remove and replace the throttle body without removing the radiator.

G
Jump to page : First 1 Last
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)(Return to Homepage)

Any problems? Contact the administrator