PC use on non powered sites

Guest bill h

Some while ago I enquired on this Forum about Inverters for using my "notebook" whilst on non powered sites. I was probably asking the wrong question, as the forthcoming answers were not understood very well by myself, and costly, so I avoided buying one. I wanted to use the "notebook" from the leisure batteries. Those of you who are electricaly minded probably know all the answer already. However I went to my local TV shop and bought a Trust PW-1200P Notebook Power Adapter for £20. It plugs into a 12v cigar lighter socket and has a range of output voltages, I set it to 19v as my pc. The instructions say start the engine first etc;etc; then switch on the "notebook" I did some simple tests in the garage on a 75amp hr Halfords leisure battery with crocodile clips to the terminals (stood on the floor) The notebook draws something like 3-4 amps. Based on the 75 amp hr battery I should have around 20 hours continuous use. I played patience for an hour (lots of colour and movement). The notebook battery level indicator increased over one hours constant use. It all worked perfectly. Answer solved for my M/Home use !! Does anyone have any adverse comments out there?

Great you appear to have solved your problem Beware - RUN the engine if connected to the 12v cig lighter Your Laptop battery has been charged from the leisure battery Continuous or extended period of use like this ccccould reduce you starter battery voltage so that it will not start the van You can use that to recharge the LAptop while driving That should give you 1 to 5 hrs use without the connectioin depending on the laptop battery life

Guest Brian Ramsden
This device is obviously designed to be used from the ordinary vehicle battery, not from the leisure battery, hence the instruction to "start the engine" before switching on the laptop. this is to avoid the laptop being damaged by a sharp variation in voltage when the starter motor operates. If you want to use the leaisure battery rather than the vehicle battery (as you said was your intention) then make up a short lead with a plug at one end which will fit into the 12V socket in your 'van connected to the leisure battery supply and a "cigarette lighter" type socket at the other end. Brian

The "Trust PW-1200P Notebook Power Adapter" is supplied with about six different pc connectors from which the user can select. The connector chosen is slotted into a versatile connector. At the other end of the 2M twin cable is the normal male cigar lighter plug. Also supplied is an additional 'cigar lighter female tube' adapter. This is connected to a pair of short lengths of covered wire, to which I fitted a pair of crocodile clips for testing with the free standing Halfords 75 amp hr battery. When on site the pc would be used in the 12v TV fitted socket. I follow Brian's comment about the voltage surge and the reason for starting the engine first, (good point) but by using the vehicles leisure battery (in fact the second of a pair of leisure batteries) the voltage supplied would be stable. The laptop is a SONY with an input voltage required of 19.5 v. The Trust Adapter has seven outlet voltages from 15v - 24v. I see no future problems, but if there is I will certainly make some comments I would suggest the device is not designed to be only used from the vehicle battery. More likely that's all most users have. My original reason for using such a devise was brought about by a group of Gas workmen using the same in their van with no problems at all. Just thought someone else out there might like to know my test results. The next project is the portable satelite. bill h

Guest Derek Uzzell
These devices are primarily intended for use in 'cars' - hence the connector to fit into a cigarette-lighter socket. It would be better (and probably much more convenient for you) to do as Brian suggests and replace your crocodile clips with a plug to fit the 12V socket(s) in your Rapido's living-area. Not sure whether Continental motorhomes use the same 12V sockets as UK designs, but your dealer will know.

Someone is getting their knickers in a twist !! Either I'm not conveying my info correctly or you all out there are mis-interpereting me. The crocodile clip episode was a TRIAL only to see if it worked and it did. I would not use the equipment in the engine compartment unless complying with the makers instructions. I will only use it in the TV 12v socket. I do have ALL the neccesary bits and pieces to do ALL the connections satisfactory. Thanks for the assistance, I'm not great at electrics, but I always succeed in the end. I do all my own house wiring as its a very practical application. Car electrics are more delicate. Ho Ho have fun bill h.

Archived