Parking in Basingstoke

Guest Roy Hamilton

Guest Roy Hamilton
I see in the post earlier about Fuel Prices a reply from Clive in Basingstoke. I've just got back from an exploratory trip to survey areas for for a possible home move and went to said fair town but couldn't find anywhere to park my 24feet, only congested car parks, so didn't stop. Are there places I missed? Found Winchester a great place allowed to park in Coach areas for the price of a car, so spent some money there.

I agree, Basingstoke is totally anti motorist as well if you look at the cost of parking. They want you to park out of town at the Park - N - Ride behind the leisure park. But there is no way I would leave my vehicle unattended there. The leisure park is free but the ride is not! The park I think you used in Winchester is off the Kings Worthy road and is used by coaches but I believe it actually belongs to the adjacent hotel. You may have been lucky to have got away with that one without a wheel clamp! Generally though Winchester is a nicer town. I don't live in Basingstoke but one of the surrounding villages.

Guest Brian Ramsden
Like Clive, I live in a village near Basingstoke and agree with his comments on the town parking. The Winchester parking for motorcaravans, on Worthy Lane near the old cattle market, is official. It is mentioned on the City web site that 'vans can park there in the coach park. It doesn't say what the charge is. Good to know that they only charge the car price. In Portsmouth you have to pay the coach price.

Guest Roy Hamilton
Thanks for replies. For further info the park in Winchester is in front of the Winchester Hotel but has City Council sign boards with the parking tariff. The coach parking area is marked with signs as available for cars with caravans and motorhomes. The Coach parking cost is a standard £5.00 for max 24 hrs and the car charge is £0.80p for 2 hrs rising to costs which I can't now remember but are very reasonable. On the board is a telephone number of the council dept responsible and I took the precaution to contact this and was told that I could use the coach area at the standard cost of cars. There is a barrier in the corner beside the public toilets which leads to the Hotel car park.

Archived