Passenger side door mirror for driving in France?

michaelmorris

When driving in France I've tried to approach junctions square on so that I can see whether there is traffic coming from my left. However, it isn't always possible to meet a junction square on and sometimes my wife is asleep so she can't look for me ( she is quite ill at present).

I've tried adjusting the passenger door mirror to give me the correct view, but it wouldn't go far enough out. Is there an additional mirror I can add to the passenger door mirror to help with this issue?

Thanks.

There are several on eBay, I tried a couple with mediocre effect , I.e image to small, or wrong angle when lined up.

Caused more confusion than problem solving.

If your need is dire, might be worth investigating a camera system mounted on the mirror, and aimed where it suits you.

Edit, I've taken a quick look on eBay n Amazon, some camera / mirrors there almost cheap as chips!

Rgds

On commercial cans with no side windows and turning right at grass triangle junctions in UK you have same problem, my answer is a suction mount flat rear view mirror mounted just to left of centre of windscreen and angled to look out of passenger door mirror.

michaelmorris - 2018-06-13 7:36 PM

...Is there an additional mirror I can add to the passenger door mirror to help with this issue?

Thanks.

I don’t think any single mirror fitted externally could help with this problem. (Think about it. You will be looking at the passenger-door mirror that’s there to look backwards. Any mirror you attach would need to face well outwards to provide a really useful view at a road junction, but the angle it would need to be to obtain that view would mean that you couldn’t see the mirror from inside your motorhome.)

Colin’s ploy should help, but a camera system would be the best solution, particularly if the camera were located near the front of the vehicle (though keeping the camera clean would need to be considered).

As all of my motorcaravanning is outside the UK I drive a LHD motorhome, but I rely on my wife to confirm that UK ‘blind’ rural road junctions are clear of traffic.

I travel solo and never found it too much of a problem and my van is RHD but also as a pvc, is an advantage over cb or larger vans. However the mirrors on the Transit are fairly large and the bottom section has a convex piece for wider vision.

I've never driven HGV's but notice many have huge door mounted mirrors plus a mirror mounted 'overcab' at the windscreen. Not sure what angle vision that gives the driver but it's obviously there for a purpose.

I've noticed particularly this year whilst driving in Germany, pvc type vans are on the increase with Germans who usually favoured big Hymer A class mh's.

I’ve owned motorhomes built on Transit Mk 5 and Mk 6 chassis, and my recollection is that their mirrors were (compared to those of Fiat X250/X290 Ducatos) relatively small with the secondary lower ‘wide angle’ mirror being fixed rather than adjustable as on the electrically-operated mirrors of X250/X290s. I never found the Transit secondary mirror of any real use: certainly it was of much less practical value than the Ducato’s. But - Transit or Ducato - the standard exterior mirrors won’t help at T-type junctions.

Your mention of many HGVs having an overcab mirror is interesting, as it might be practicable for Michael to rig up a mirror (or even two mirrors) fixed to the underside of the overcab section of his Elddis Autoquest. Such a mirror ought to be OK to see from the driver’s seat and, if suitably angled should provide a reasonable view looking left, while a 2nd mirror might be useful to give a ‘look’ to the right at a T-junction with restricted visibility. I’ve never seen this arrangement on a motorhome, but in principle it should be effective even though it would not be a thing of beauty. A couple of cheap small cameras fixed under the overcab section would be neater.

Derek Uzzell - 2018-06-14 1:33 PM

I’ve owned motorhomes built on Transit Mk 5 and Mk 6 chassis, and my recollection is that their mirrors were (compared to those of Fiat X250/X290 Ducatos) relatively small with the secondary lower ‘wide angle’ mirror being fixed rather than adjustable as on the electrically-operated mirrors of X250/X290s. I never found the Transit secondary mirror of any real use: certainly it was of much less practical value than the Ducato’s. But - Transit or Ducato - the standard exterior mirrors won’t help at T-type junctions.

Your mention of many HGVs having an overcab mirror is interesting, as it might be practicable for Michael to rig up a mirror (or even two mirrors) fixed to the underside of the overcab section of his Elddis Autoquest. Such a mirror ought to be OK to see from the driver’s seat and, if suitably angled should provide a reasonable view looking left, while a 2nd mirror might be useful to give a ‘look’ to the right at a T-junction with restricted visibility. I’ve never seen this arrangement on a motorhome, but in principle it should be effective even though it would not be a thing of beauty. A couple of cheap small cameras fixed under the overcab section would be neater.

Believe it or not my Mk5 came with wind up windows due to being an LE model (A/S stuck a few fancier 'bits' in than the standard Duetto so sacrificed other 'bits' to pay for the LE bits!), but i sourced a set of power windows complete with looms and door cards. Job was simple enough to do and i also had the option to fit electric mirrors as i had a pair of those too but decided against it as my mirrors rarely ever need adjusting. Yes the lower 'wide angle' piece is a bit on the small side but personally i've not found it much of an issue.

Regards the overcab mirror fitted to HGV's above the windscreen, never having driven one i've no idea exactly what the visual is but i notice most now have them fitted. Will have to ask my son as he used to drive HGV's.

• 2 months later...
Never had a problem just adjust the mirror glass first then adjust the mirror with the remote control, its the drivers side mirror that's a pain as it moves inwards due to air pressure, I have been thinking about a small plastic or rubber wedge between the mirror and the arm. I will work on it before our next trip across the channel.

Luckily my German vehicle, although rhd, has a big window on the nearside behind the passenger door, so I can see traffic from the left and behind me quite clearly. UK models tend to have the door there so this wouldn't help, but a small mirror angled outwards (like those little stick-on overtaking mirrors) could help.

Archived