Passenger side quarter light replacement France or Belgium

Zydeco Joe

While parked up the passenger side quarter light window shattered. How that happened I do not know, nobody around and happened when we're sitting in it. Parked for the night at Fagnes Brasserie Mariembourg Belgium not too far from French border . Has anybody had similar or had window replaced while in any of these countries?. Advice on company to get this sorted asap.

Was trying to avoid insurance company as have a claim going on ,a fellow French motorhome backed into us in February while we were parked.... But might give them a call in the morning.

Any ideas of cost of replacing the window.

It's a Fiat Ducato 2018

Wow did not expect anything around that price £260... Have looked at our policy and think I will call the insurance in the morning. Have found a Auto Glass place 45 k away from here but not sure if it's the same as Auto Glass in the UK, anybody know ?.

witzend - 2022-06-07 11:30 PM

Most glass places in UK can cut a replacement if its flat wouldn't know about France or Belgium

I believe you need toughened glass and that cannot be cut as it has to be made to shape, unless you get some ordinary plate glass cut but without a template that might not be so easy.

The other side might be a template if you can get it out and back in without breaking it.

I would find the nearest dealer (or vehicle breaker) and ask for advice, or phone your breakdown recovery firm for their advice?

In France before the pandemic some guys strimming the roadside caught my MH with a stone.

Didn't think it was a problem till I stopped for fuel 5 min later.

Closing my door my quarter window shattered.

There was an advert to a fiat professional garage in front of me so drove there.

Took till the afternoon to get the spare and fit it.

Cost about 220E so paid up as the extra on insurance and loss of no claims would of cost more.

Just glad I only lost a day and got it fixed.

Jands - 2022-06-09 7:56 PM

Was surprised it was toughened, would have thought on a security point laminated would have been better.

I agree, but laminated glass is more expensive, apparently, and cost is always a production priority.

When ours was broken a few years ago it was easy enough to find a Peugeot dealer to replace it.

I don't recall the cost but I do recall cringing when I was told it and even so we had to wait overnight for the glass and return for fitting.

As a temporary measure I made a strong cardboard cut out from a box supplied by the dealer to block the hole and as the dog slept in the cab and we were in the UK and were using a CCC THS short term security was not an issue.

Good luck with finding a glazing firm with the right grade glass in stock and able to communicate as well as able to cut an accurate replacement on the spot in a foreign country!

Archived