Passengers in living area

Guest Tony Norton

Guest Tony Norton
Can anyone help with the subject of the legality of carrying passengers in the living area of a motorhome. In addition to the the normal 2 seats in the cab we have a dinette with seat belts (lap and diagonal) fitted to the 2 forward facing seats, but not seat belts fitted elsewhere. From the safety point of view I am quite happy with idea of carrying a total of 5 pasengers, 1 up front and 4 in the dinette, but am not sure how "plod" would react if I were stopped. Any accurate information or experiences would be appreciated. Tony N

Guest Derek Uzzell
My understanding is that there is currently no legal requirement for safety-belts to be fitted to the seats in a motorcaravan's rear living-area. However, when belts are fitted, these must conform to certain technical requirements and passengers seated in the belted seats must 'belt up'. So, if you want to carry 5 passengers in your 'van, that should present no legal problems.

The law is one aspect, but you would be wise to check with your insurance company. Mine appears to think that I have three seats but I remember when I moved to this insurer that they considered each person in the vehicle should have a seatbelt. In fact only the driver and front seat pssenger have seatbelts. I consider that I am only insured to carry one passenger. My daughter would certainly not approve of me carrying her son loose in the back of our motorcaravan. (we always transport him in our car)

Guest David Powell
Belts must not be fitted nor worn by passengers sitting in sideways facing seats, rearward facing seats do not require belts, again check with your insurance company as to how many pasengers they are prepared to cover in your particular vehicle.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest John T
My 2001 Hymer CS544 has a label above the habition door staint the passengers must be seated in the specified, belted seats whilst the vehicle is moving. the sales literature describes the "legal" passenger seats. My insurance documentation states that passengers may only be carried in seats specified be the manufacturer.

Archived