Paying for parking.

Jonnya

Hi I am hiring a Motorhome at the beginning of April and will be travelling through Europe, my question is most of the sites I have looked at for parking have a self service machine for payment can I pay with cash or does it need to be paid by card as I already have my Euro’s in cash.

Thanks.

Some French card machines will not take pre loaded cards, some will, 24 hour fuel stations probably will not take a pre paid card, so best take alternatives. I take :- credit card, debit card, cash and I used to take a pre loaded card but found it to be not so useful due to the 24 hr fuel problem.

I guess from your question that you may be new to French Aire de Camping Cars? If so may I suggest a bit of research regarding drinking water connectors, waste water disposal, toilet disposal, and camping behaviour ( chairs, awnings, tables etc outside your motorhome) camping behaviour is frowned on but often ignored, it varies place to place.

H

As mentioned elsewhere and often on this forum, consider getting a Halifax Clarity card for Euro card payments and cash withdrawal.

We've had one for years and it has worked in every card machine we've used. Very low interest rate on cash withdrawals as well.

This is the relevant page on Martin Lewis's website:

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/credit-cards/travel-credit-cards/

Jonnya - 2019-03-18 10:25 AM

Thanks was going to look into the card that the post office do just need to find out if I can go into the post office and put some of the euros in cash that I have onto the card .

I had a preloaded Post Office card but found that a lot of machines - parking, fuel, and toll booths - wouldn't accept it. I then got one from Thomas Cook and had no further problems. I now use neither as I bank with Nationwide, who make no charge for credit card purchases or for debit card cash withdrawals.

Archived