Perished rubber strip above number plate

Violet1956

We have a 2006 plate (2005 model) Rapido MH. The rubber strip at the rear just above the number plate has degraded. I can't find any replacement after an online search. Does anyone have any info that would assist. Can't see that it's crucial but it looks very unsightly ATM.

Will try to attach a photo.

Edit: photo attachment failed

Veronica

Violet's motorhome is a Rapido 746F model and I'm guessing that the "rubber strip" provides a cosmetic seal for the joint between the rear body-panel and the top edge of the rear bumper's moulded plastic section. (If that's correct, there are plenty of online photos showing the rear of a 746F.)

A Rapido dealership might be able to obtain the strip - otherwise it would be necessary to establish the strip's profile and see if a company like Seals Direct can offer a match.

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-02 11:01 AM

Violet's motorhome is a Rapido 746F model and I'm guessing that the "rubber strip" provides a cosmetic seal for the joint between the rear body-panel and the top edge of the rear bumper's moulded plastic section. (If that's correct, there are plenty of online photos showing the rear of a 746F.)

A Rapido dealership might be able to obtain the strip - otherwise it would be necessary to establish the strip's profile and see if a company like Seals Direct can offer a match.

Thanks Derek. Will search for Rapido dealerships and have a look at Seals Direct.

stevec176 - 2021-04-02 11:25 AM

Don't know where you live but Simpsons of Great Yarmouth in Norfolk are my local dealers and they are usually helpful so maybe worth a call.

Unfortunately deepest darkest Dorset. Closest Rapido dealer Bristol. Thanks for your reply. I think I may have to decide to include a dealer on an outing in the van. Good news is we'll all soon be free to roam. Cheers.

Veronica

Grumpyman - 2021-04-02 12:27 PM

Have you tried a Body Shop repairers. I had Black rubber silicon inserted along the whole of the rear joint which was about half inch wide on my Starburst Autocruise and it was much better than a rubber seal.

Thanks for your reply Grumpyman. I don't think it is a seal although I know Derek referred to it as possibly functioning as such. I wish I could upload the photo I have taken. Can't resize it to the maximum this forum will accept.

It is a strip that doesn't follow any apparent join. Best way I can describe it is a thin raised strip just glued and screwed onto the rear that looks like a protective strip.

Having taken a lead from Derek's remark that there are lots of pictures of our model online I have discovered it is not a factory fitted strip. A previous owner must have added it to act as some kind of "bumper" possibly because it has a bike rack.

Thanks all for adding your sixpenneth. Will look for a replacement. Reminds me of some of the thin strips added on the bottom edge car doors.

Hope you all have a Happy Easter with your families.

Veronica

Violet1956 - 2021-04-02 12:19 PM

Have attempted to resize photo. No technology classes when I was at school sadly.

I’m not sure what you did when you attempted to provide a photo, but you ended up attaching a .html file and the forum (and I) can’t handle that file-format.

I’ve attached a photo of a Rapido 746F (copied from this forum thread that resulted from a 2017 enquiry of yours)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Identifying-model-of-Ducato-2-8JTD/47759/

and I’ve arrowed in red the “rubber strip” that I believed you were asking about.

All online photos of 746F motorhomes built by Rapido for the 2004-2006 model-years show this strip, but a) it won’t be made of rubber and b) Rapido won’t have used screws to attach it.

The Rapido dealerships in the south of England are at Wokingham and Highbridge, but as you’ve now concluded that the strip was an addition carried out by a previous owner, a Rapidio dealership won’t be able to assist.

The Seals+Direct catalogue can be downloded from here

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/uploadedDocuments/sealsDirectCatalogueIssue8.pdf

Something in the “Rubber Fenders” section (Page 75 onwards) might be suitable.

rapido-746f.jpg.f2f74081a31d7bb19beb06f8ff1568fb.jpg

Pure speculation, but I would imagine this seal/closing strip would probably have originally been attached to the rear "bumper" before it was attached to the van at the factory. If it has been replaced it is anyone's guess what with. It also raises the question of why. If you have the full service history of the van it should reveal who carried out any habitation services during the validity of the water ingress warranty. Might this have been replaced by a Rapido dealer during that time? I only ask as if my assumption is correct, its replacement may have involved the removal and re-fitting of the rear bumper, meaning that removal of what is now there may result in its destruction, leaving only a gap. I assume the rear bumper of Derek's (later) van gives no clues?

As the issue seems primarily cosmetic, how about extracting the existing strip and applying a white silicone sealant to the joint instead? Preferably an external grade (much more durable), not the bathroom type.

First thoroughly clean the top of the bumper and rear of the van to remove any dirt and polish residues that may interfere with adhesion. Then carefully apply two strips of masking tape, one to the top surface of the bumper, the other to the vertical rear wall of the van, say a constant 2 - 3 mm away from the edge of any gap. If no gap is revealed when the existing seal is removed, then clean as above and allow a little more width for the new seal. Then gun a bead of silicone across the junction between the bumper and the rear of the van, between the two masking tape strips. Don't overdo the silicone, as you will be finishing it to a concave, or "cavetto", shape, and a lot will be removed in the process.

The best finishing tool, IMO, is the end of a wet finger (middle finger best, with a short finger-nail :-)), applied from one end (right handed folk start at the left end, and vice versa :-)) and, maintaining a constant pressure, drawn along the bead until the residue on the finger becomes too mush to sustain. Remove finger, wipe clean on paper towel, re-wet (saliva is best!) and resume the "tooling" to the far end of the bead. Any drag marks and/or untidy wisps can be removed with the same, clean, well licked (if necessary, repeatedly licked!) finger to leave a neat, smooth, concave bead between the rear wall of the van and the bumper that will hardly show. If using your finger doesn't appeal, wear thin latex gloves that fit as tight as possible - you don't want flappy ends of glove getting into the act!! :-) Personally, I've found the gloves cause more problems than they are worth!

When finished, wash off all the silicone from hands etc and leave the new seal to firm up slightly before carefully pealing away the two strips of masking tape. If left too long the thin layer of silicone adjacent to the tape will begin to become elastic which will spoil the finish. It needs to be "fragile" so that it shears easily when the tape is pulled away. Too wet and it is liable to stretch like melted cheese into wet trailing streaks, too late and it may begin to lift the silicone from the rear wall/bumper before it shears, leaving a slightly ragged edge. It is a trial and error process, but it quickly becomes obvious when the right moment is reached.

Et violà! 1 neat, smooth, unobtrusive seal. Owzat! :-D

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-02 2:06 PM

Violet1956 - 2021-04-02 12:19 PM

Have attempted to resize photo. No technology classes when I was at school sadly.

I’m not sure what you did when you attempted to provide a photo, but you ended up attaching a .html file and the forum (and I) can’t handle that file-format.

I’ve attached a photo of a Rapido 746F (copied from this forum thread that resulted from a 2017 enquiry of yours)

https://forums.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Identifying-model-of-Ducato-2-8JTD/47759/

and I’ve arrowed in red the “rubber strip” that I believed you were asking about.

All online photos of 746F motorhomes built by Rapido for the 2004-2006 model-years show this strip, but a) it won’t be made of rubber and b) Rapido won’t have used screws to attach it.

The Rapido dealerships in the south of England are at Wokingham and Highbridge, but as you’ve now concluded that the strip was an addition carried out by a previous owner, a Rapidio dealership won’t be able to assist.

The Seals+Direct catalogue can be downloded from here

https://www.sealsdirect.co.uk/uploadedDocuments/sealsDirectCatalogueIssue8.pdf

Something in the “Rubber Fenders” section (Page 75 onwards) might be suitable.

Thank heavens for your patience Derek. I am reluctant to admit it but I've made an error again. What I thought was a rubber strip above the number plate is infact the rubber innards of the usual chrome strip just above the number plate that is clearly visible on the photograph of the rear of this model that you have posted. I think my only chance may be breakers as the van is so old. Sorry for wasting your time with all of my nonsense!

Veronica

Oh well, that explains the screws...

I’m pretty sure that ALL Rapido motorhome models (7-series low-profile and 9-series A-class) built from mid-2003 to mid-2006 would have had the chrome-finish strip above the rear number plate. The photo attached below is of the relevant area of a 2004 Rapido 709F, but online images show what look like exactly the same part on other 7 and 9 models.

Even though Rapido must have fitted thousands of these things in the early Year 2000s (and this should improve your chances of finding a used part) you’ll still be very fortunate to find at a UK breaker a Rapido that has the chromed part.

Suggest you contact the Rapido dealership at Highbridge and ask them to check with the French factory just in case the factory still has some of these chromed parts gathering dust on their shelves. You never know your luck...

1664419737_chromestrip.png.b1b73c5ecf9f9808f10b08228a88ca14.png

In Violet’s posting of 2 April 2021 3:42 PM above she stated that she now realised the perished rubber strip above her motorhome’s rear number-plate was, in fact, the rubber ‘backing' of a chromed (quite likely plastic) piece of trim. I’ve attached a photo below with the chromed cosmetic trim arrowed in green.

As I’ve said before, evidently (based on online photos) Rapido fitted this item to all their motorhome models during the model-year period 2004-2006 (build-date from aroud mid-2003 to mid-2006). Rapido models prior to model-year 2004 do not carry the chromed trim and post-2006 have a quite different rear bumper-moulding treatment.

So what Violet needs is

a) The chromed cover that will fit over the present perished rubber.

b) Or the complete chromed trim unit (cover + rubber backing).

c) Or something that will disguise or replace the perished rubber backing piece.

It’s possible (though I suspect not) that tha same chromed part has been used on other makes of motorhome, but - if Violet wants a replaceent - the first port of call should be to contact a Rapido dealership.

It has to be said that finding this part secondhand will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. It may well have been commissioned by Rapido as a ‘bespoke’ item (and was then used across just a 4-year build-period). Not too many motorhomes end up in breakers’ yards and, even if a Rapido model that had this chromed trim piece were dismantled, it’s unlikely that this part would be deliberately retained for subsequent resale.

I’ve carried out a rough-and-ready search of French ‘used spare parts’ websites, but nothing useful showed up Rapido-wise. There’s a UK ebay advert for a secondhand bonnet from a 2004 Rapido 924F and that model might well have the chromed trim on its rear, but I’m not sure if the complete vehicle is being broken. Anyway, the ebay advert is here:

https://tinyurl.com/2hnr93vs

26808660_chromestrip.png.24feba18d46ce1015b45f7c2a9e88ba1.png

Whilst it wouldn't be "shaped" like the original part, self -adhesive "chrome" detailing strip is readily available in varying widths and lengths, is quite cheap, and could possibly be used to cover any remaining backing (as long as the backing itself is secure and flat).

An example (not a recommendation) is here, but there are many different sizes and suppliers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/15MM-x-15M-CHROME-STYLING-MOULDING-TRIM-STRIP-SELF-ADHESIVE-METRE-METER-WINDOW-/321840969280

Personally, I'd consider first removing the existing/remaining backing, and then covering the area with such self-adhesive strip, as I suspect it will leave an line that is discoloured. From experience I've found dental floss good for removing stuck items without damage, as long as you can work a length behind one edge, and saw your way across, though this might be more difficult with only the adhesive present. Any residual adhesive will normally be removable by careful use of either white spirit or WD40 (with a good wash over of the area afterwards).

Violet earlier described the perished rubber item as "a thin raised strip just glued and screwed onto the rear that looks like a protective strip”.

(A photo of the thing would clearly help, but Violet has problems providing this.)

As you’ve said, chromed trim is available (another example here)

https://tinyurl.com/p3p857vn

and bumper protective moulding strip is also marketed

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/F60-BUMPTEK-Universal-Rear-Bumper-Protection-Moulding-Strip-158cm-/263836265203

but whether using such products would be a genuine improvement would depend on how unsightly the present perished rubber strip is (and whether the effort and cost would be justifiable for a 16-year old motothome).

Derek Uzzell - 2021-04-03 8:06 AM

In Violet’s posting of 2 April 2021 3:42 PM above she stated that she now realised the perished rubber strip above her motorhome’s rear number-plate was, in fact, the rubber ‘backing' of a chromed (quite likely plastic) piece of trim. I’ve attached a photo below with the chromed cosmetic trim arrowed in green.

As I’ve said before, evidently (based on online photos) Rapido fitted this item to all their motorhome models during the model-year period 2004-2006 (build-date from aroud mid-2003 to mid-2006). Rapido models prior to model-year 2004 do not carry the chromed trim and post-2006 have a quite different rear bumper-moulding treatment.

So what Violet needs is

a) The chromed cover that will fit over the present perished rubber.

b) Or the complete chromed trim unit (cover + rubber backing).

c) Or something that will disguise or replace the perished rubber backing piece.

It’s possible (though I suspect not) that tha same chromed part has been used on other makes of motorhome, but - if Violet wants a replaceent - the first port of call should be to contact a Rapido dealership.

It has to be said that finding this part secondhand will be like looking for a needle in a haystack. It may well have been commissioned by Rapido as a ‘bespoke’ item (and was then used across just a 4-year build-period). Not too many motorhomes end up in breakers’ yards and, even if a Rapido model that had this chromed trim piece were dismantled, it’s unlikely that this part would be deliberately retained for subsequent resale.

I’ve carried out a rough-and-ready search of French ‘used spare parts’ websites, but nothing useful showed up Rapido-wise. There’s a UK ebay advert for a secondhand bonnet from a 2004 Rapido 924F and that model might well have the chromed trim on its rear, but I’m not sure if the complete vehicle is being broken. Anyway, the ebay advert is here:

https://tinyurl.com/2hnr93vs

Thanks again Derek, you're a star, is there anything you can't find. That ebay ad is a great one. The 924F did have a chrome strip above the number plate. I've sent a message to the seller asking if he has one. Not sure if it will be the right size but it's a start.

Thank you to everyone that has helped, particularly new posts on how to take off the old strip carefully and/or how to cover up the space if unable to find a replacement.

Veronica

Archived