Pet Passport

Archiesgrandad

I don't recall whether I've mentioned this before, but a year or so after the demise of my beloved Archie we decided it was time to find another companion to take me into old age, and we adopted a cross breed Ariegeoise hunting dog from our local refuge. She had been abandoned and was in fairly poor state, but with care and kindness she is slowly recovering, and she is truly adorable, her name is Bella.

We are making a trip to the UK in a few days time, and she has had her injections etc and a shiny new Pet Passport, ( worms one booked for next week.), so she is all set for her first visit to God's chosen country, ie we are going back to Birmingham for 2 weeks.

2 things you might help me with, how long should we allow for getting through Pet Control at Eurotunnel, and do we need to get another worms injection before we leave the UK and return to France?

AGD

PS I shall not be changing my Forum name.

Archiesgrandad - 2018-09-11 2:10 PM

how long should we allow for getting through Pet Control at Eurotunnel, and do we need to get another worms injection before we leave the UK and return to France?

It depends how busy they are, if you get behind a van with 30 dogs from Romania it can take well over an hour but if it is empty less than 10 minutes.

Can't help with return to France as, being French, their rules may differ from ours?

Guest pelmetman

The worming treatment is a UK requirement ..........

We pop home from Spain for a week at Christmas and only worm our pooch in Spain ;-) ........

You just need the passport signed to enter the UK, not on return, vets charge different amounts for it, and some insist on an expensive examination, which hasn't been needed for years.

The worming tablet needs to be taken more than 24 hours and less than five days before entry to the UK, and we generally get through in half an hour. Check where the microchip is, because one of our dog's has slipped down to her shoulder.

We usually come back mid-morning and have never spent more than five minutes in the Pet Passport Office.

Now, getting through Customs and to the Train is another matter altogether - take a book, an iPad or play games with the kids - yes, it takes for ever .......

Probably difficult after we drop out of the eu, the government's latest "no deal" forecast points out that the passport will no longer be valid unless special arrangements can be made in the next months.

Quarantine regulations will return, and it's not a high priority yet. But they expect protests as reality finally kicks in.

In Calais all vets get rich in case of dogs returning to uk ground. it is just big money about the worms. Take your precautioms before, and the correct timing. There chip reading tools are are at last dog friendly now. But check your chip before to be sure it has not migrated and their exact location. And your dog passport of date and hour.

Many thanks again, we are seasoned tunnellers, it's just the dog bit that's new for us.

For those of you who think you're pretty good tunnellers beat this:-

We loaded the Georgie Boy RV onto the train, only 6 from the front. We enjoyed a normal crossing reclining in the sumptuous seats and a cup of coffee from the built in coffee machine, and when we arrived they started to open up the doors. I ambled down to the front of the RV, took my seat and prepared to start the engine. Absolutely nothing.I checked everything I could, batteries fine, plenty of fuel, gear change in the park position, nothing. By this time the cars in front of us had long since gone, we were holding up everything, so the tunnel staff took charge and organised a French bloke in a Toyota pickup to tow us out.

What a lot of people don't realise is that the Yanks don't build their RVs on little van chassis, this one was built on a fairly hefty truck chassis, weighing in at 7.5 tons, and it had one of those wonderful automatic gearboxes that is operated by oil pressure from the engine, and not only does the gear changing, it operates the parking brake, which is part of the transmission. So, engine won't start. no oil pressure, can't release the parking brake, and there is no Toyota pickup in France that is going to drag a 7.5 ton truck out of that train with the rear wheels locked.

There were 174 assorted motorhomes and cars with caravans behind us, and the only way out was backwards. We were taken to the terminal building for our own safety, as, with much moaning gnashing of teeth and wailing, these unfortunate people tried to extract their vehicles, backwards.

Our little man with the Toyota proved much better than we had expected, he quickly diagnosed a hydraulic lock in one of the cylinders, removed the injector and released the fluid, we started the engine on 7 cylinders and were able to drive to his workshop where we found a cracked cylinder head which we replaced and continued our holiday.

When at the vets check and recheck the dates. We have seen more than one unhappy pet owner being sent off to find a vet and rebook their crossing for the next day.

Even what is clearly a slip of the pen can be rejected and a phone call to the vet doesn't get round it.

Archived