Petition for Aires in England

Chauser

Oh dear. The idea is wonderful but the chances of success are precisely nil I am afraid. You see the basic attitude in the UK amongst the powers that be is, if in any doubt say no. They don't trust anybody thus the proliferation of camera's etc. They believe that Aires would inevitably be abused and vandalised and be more trouble than they are worth. They are inward looking and always play it safe. They are typical of all that is wrong with this country.

I have long since given up on motorhoming in the UK. Why bother when you have France and Germany and to a lesser extent, Spain and Italy "next door". Forget rip off Britain with it's parking restrictions and grossly overpriced campsites, enjoy the freedoms of Europe, which although are not as manifest as in day's of yore, are still wonderful compared to this miserable hole. Xx

Chauser - 2016-02-16 5:24 PM

It may have already been stated but there is a petition that can be completed electronically to lobby government to open more Aires in the UK. I would put the link below but do not know how so Yahoo it if you want to take part.

Back in September last, a link to such as petition was put on this forum.

It asked that the government should force local councils to provide aires, and was not well supported.

It gained only 4900 signatures ( of the 10,000 necessary to get the government to discuss it ) and closed on February 6 th.

I'm not aware of any petition more recent than that.

:-|

This link is to the original dopey petition that attracted 4918 signatures and ‘closed’ on 6 February 2016

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/105748

and this link is to the recent repeat that has a deadline of 12 August 2016 and has attracted 647 signatures so far

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/121393

(Perhaps the petitioner believes that, if the same petition is submitted several times, the number of signatures each ‘go’ obtains will be totalled and this will allow the 10,000 signatures threshold to be reached?)

longtemps - 2016-02-16 9:41 PM

Oh dear. The idea is wonderful but the chances of success are precisely nil I am afraid. You see the basic attitude in the UK amongst the powers that be is, if in any doubt say no. They don't trust anybody thus the proliferation of camera's etc. They believe that Aires would inevitably be abused and vandalised and be more trouble than they are worth. They are inward looking and always play it safe. They are typical of all that is wrong with this country.

I have long since given up on motorhoming in the UK. Why bother when you have France and Germany and to a lesser extent, Spain and Italy "next door". Forget rip off Britain with it's parking restrictions and grossly overpriced campsites, enjoy the freedoms of Europe, which although are not as manifest as in day's of yore, are still wonderful compared to this miserable hole. Xx

Seconded. Since we started going abroad I wonder what we ever saw in this sodden dump.

malc d - 2016-02-17 10:32 AM

It seems the supporters of this petition believe that there are only 5 countries in Europe.

Let's hope no-one in government sees it or it will give us all a bad name.

;-)

..and that a UK "aires" network would somehow improve it's weather and make it less "sodden"

Hold the front page! "People go to nice, sunnier places; and therefore have more fun, when they're on their hols, shocker!" (lol)

Charles - 2016-02-17 10:18 AM

longtemps - 2016-02-16 9:41 PM

Seconded. Since we started going abroad I wonder what we ever saw in this sodden dump.

Local Councils are on their uppers already, not a cat in hells chance of getting them to spend on anything they aren't legally obligated to (and even then, they might not). It's called Austerity...... blame the bankers. Or of course your lovely EU.

pepe63 - 2016-02-17 11:09 AM

It seems the supporters of this petition believe that there are only 5 countries in Europe.

;-)

..and that a UK "aires" network would somehow improve it's weather and make it less "sodden"

Hold the front page! "People go to nice, sunnier places; and therefore have more fun, when they're on their hols, shocker!" (lol)

Maybe an "aire" network would drag our economy down to the level of the French?

Rayjsj - 2016-02-17 11:58 AM

Knocking the UK is becoming the latest fashion.

Sorry Ray, have to disagree - knocking the UK has been going on for years, especially by those who live here but not so much by those who want to come and live here.

Anyone not happy is perfectly free to leave and go live anywhere in the EU - at least they are as of today - who knows what tomorrow holds.

For us at least the UK is still one of the best places in the world to live and the fact that we are able to openly criticise the country's 'warts' and inequalities just serves to emphasise that point.

Aires will never happen in the UK all the while we have 'travellers' buggering up everywhere they stop and the next best solution as far as I can see is something like Pub Stopovers and Brit Stops both of which seem to work well to supplement the CLs and CSs for those who prefer a site.

Don't be put off posting, Chauser. You'll find that on any motorhome forum there will be topics that bring out opposing, and probably, intransigent opinions. Examples include UK vs Continental vans, Caravan Club and sometimes the Caravan & Camping Club, wild camping, and even motorhome magazines!

pepe63 - 2016-02-17 11:09 AM

;-)

I take it that the front page was a broad sheet paper. ??

Duncan MMM - 2016-02-18 4:21 PM

Thread was moderated for inflammatory language. Feel free to express your opinions but don't let it become insulting.

For what use is freedom of speech to those who fear to offend?

This politically correct attitude puts me off posting anything.

No offense.

Depends, if by offend you mean offensive, bitingly sarcastic or plain bloody minded or rude what point does it serve? As I have said before people use the forum for advice, help & information etc. if you are unable to contribute without resorting to the above or constantly targeting another forum user then why bother. Free speech is fine and a good thing until the right is abused whether it be here on this forum or inticing violence and murder in the name of religion...Etc Lighten up man, it's only a Motorhome/Camper forum

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-20 8:56 AM

keninpalamos - 2016-02-20 7:18 AM

...As I have said before people use the forum for advice, help & information etc...

Is that right? I just participate to show how incredibly smart I am.

You mustn't say things like that about yourself Derek.

You might upset someone.

:-|

Derek Uzzell - 2016-02-20 8:56 AM

keninpalamos - 2016-02-20 7:18 AM

...As I have said before people use the forum for advice, help & information etc...

Is that right? I just participate to show how incredibly smart I am.

now that's OK Derek there is no shame in being smart....or smug :-) but at least your main aim is to advise, help and inform in a positive way where you can & Tracker was right! You do have a sense of humour :-)

Archived