Pets and Processionary Caterpillars !!!

Guest Mike T

In Januarys edition MMM magazine there was an article called A to Z of Full -Timing on pages 173-176. there is also a photo showing Processionary Caterpillars on a motorvan wheel. From reading this article it gives the impression that these Processionary Caterpillars shown on this wheel make nice pets !! In fact they are very dangerous if, dogs or cats eat them. The results are almost certainly fatal, as little as three or four will kill a medium sized dog, and one may produce death in a cat. A few weeks ago went to see our local vet about the pets passport system for out dog and Processionary caterpillars came up in our conversation the vet saying how dangerous these caterpillars are. I had never heard of this problem, until a few week ago. I thought someone should highlight this potential problem, to our pets I did e-mail MMM requesting ,maybe they could get someone to do an article covering this topic to bring this to other pet owners . I would like to thank who ever wrote the article I have included below for bring this to me attention and treat these Processionary Caterpillars with extra care if I ever come across them . Mike T Enclosed is a copy of how dangerous these caterpillars can be from an article I found on the web ! by searching Processionary Caterpillars I saw photo's of these caterpillars earlier this year on a site in the Loire valley, with clear warnings saying "Leave Me Alone!". They were posters in Reception, the shop, laundry, play areas, shower blocks etc. etc. It wasn't till I read this article, that it became apparent as to why..( I presumed it was a rare Moth/Butterfly in my ignorance!). Although the posters said leave me alone,....it wasn't made clear why!..now I know..if you are aware of these creepies then my apologies for repetition but like me you're not...read on! Processionary Caterpillars are so called because they form processions, nose to tail, as they leave the nest prior to changing into moths. They are found in all Mediterranean climatic areas, ranging from Portugal in the West through to the Adriatic and beyond in the East. The "nests" are fist sized or larger balls of spun filaments, usually lodged in fairly high branches of pine trees, and yes, many campsites in all of these countries border onto or are within pine forested areas! The months from October through to March and April see the time when the caterpillars descend from the cocoon nests and they will then form "processions" in search of food sources. These can be hundreds of caterpillars nose to tail, winding along roadways, paths, grass, whatever. The caterpillars have poisonous and irritant brittle hairs on their bodies, and are a mottled dull brown with faded yellowish splotches, a standard nature danger signal! In adults these hairs will cause severe skin irritations, and occasionally anaphylactic shock, closure of airways leading to death, and obviously requiring immediate medical treatment. In children, (who are more inquisitive about the processions and may handle the caterpillars then transfer the fingers and hairs to the mouth etc) the effects can be more immediately severe and will almost always require immediate professional medical aid. Similarly, older people with less resistance can also be quickly affected. Golfers, tennis players, footballers and bowlers (petanque and boules) should be careful NOT to handle a ball that has gone through a procession, golfers should check local rules, some courses permit substitutions. Golf, Tennis, boules and Footballs should be cleaned with disposable cloths which should then be burned as a means of disposal. For pets, dogs and cats, the problem is that the caterpillars have a bittersweet smell and taste, and both dogs and cats will try to eat them. The results are almost certainly fatal, as little as three or four will kill a medium sized dog, and one may produce death in a cat. The reaction to the poison also causes necrosis of the tongue, and by the time the owner notices the problem, it is usually too late for veterinary treatment to do much except ease suffering. Local advice is that brushing a procession away can cause more problems than it solves, this spreads the irritation producing hairs and the risk of poisoning actually becomes higher as a result. French research indicates that GLOBAL WARMING is affecting the spread and range of these caterpillars, and they are now being reported as far north as the Loire and Seine valleys, spreading from the Pyrenees and the Massif Centrale. Best advice is take care and avoid letting your pet run free near pine woods, even on those "pain in the butt" long leads

Guest Tony S.
I've done a bit of asking around and as far as I can find out - dogs don't eat caterpillars! Phew...It was a close one! You had me worried for my little pooch for a moment. Especially as we often go to the Landes pine forests. What I like a lot about living in France is that there are never any scare stories circulating. I read the french papers, local and national, and look at french T.V. but I've never heard of anyone having a problem with caterpillers, ever, or narcotic gas sprayed into their 'vans either, for that matter. However, when I read the British press I'm worried out of my mind, what with large scale terrorist attacks forecast and incessant vaccination and food scares. Admittedly,perhaps the french don't inform enough (for instance claiming that the Chernobyl rainclouds stopped at the frontier!) but it's certainly very relaxing for anyone living here.

You wouldn't expect dogs to each slugs either ... but they do! I've got first hand knowledge of a female cross poodle spaniel that just loved them - she chewed them like gum and made an awful squelshing noise in the process!!! In my experience, dogs will try to eat anything if they find it irresistable enough, such as bees, wasps, flys etc, so why should they stop at caterpillars - I'd rather play safe and keep an eye out for them.

Dogs & Cats dont have to EAT them. They just need to get the fluid on them; as do humans. At Ohlaho Nr faro several people were taken to hospital and animals died after getting the fluid onto their skin/fur We were prior warned and looked for a pitch that wasnt under trees

I've been travelling round France and Spain and Portugal for the past five years. Never have I heard about killer caterpillars! In france however, 1000 pedestrians are run over each year,(more in Spain) so watch out when you cross the road. I am certainly not going to avoid trees when I travel!!

We have a villa in Spain and believe you me this is no joke! Please take it seriously, they are very dangerous indeed especially where your dogs are concerned. The fir trees have what looks like cotton wool balls and these are where these caterpillars nest.. March can be the worst month. We will be taking our dogs (yorkies) over for the first time in Dec/Jan and believe you me we will be vigilant as we will be there 2-3 months. Ana x

Hi Ana We didnt beleive it when we first heard of them Also the campsite at Olhao said that there was no problem. However a friendly Portugese told us they had left the site because of them (we had already booked in and paid. When we arrived some of the long term campers warned us to keep away from them. I know my first mail just said trees, but yes they are in Fir trees. They come down from the treees as you say in long cotton like trails. Then they burrow under the trees to lay eggs. When the eggs hatch the grubs eat the tree roots and the cycle begins again Olhao is in a 'Natural Park' and they are forbidden by law from spraying the trees. However the problem was so bad that they had to spray the trees, but as things are with nature they couldnt kill every single caterpiller Hope ypu manage to keep your dog healthy PeteC

Sorry, it's just that I've been living a long time away from the 'nanny state', where everything is either banned or about to be. It's the thought of these caterpillars marching around the continent sowing death and destruction that made me laugh, plus the fact that in France I've never heard of any cases being reported. But I live dangerously anyway. I even eat unpasteurised Camembert cheese, which the Americans say is akin to courting instant death. My little dog is scared of virtually anything - sliding van doors, plastic bags, abandoned cardboard boxes, people, cats and large fir cones, so I doubt if he'd go anywhere near a killer caterpillar. We're visiting the Landes forest tomorrow, just south of Bordeaux - I'll have a look out for their nests.

Whilst in Portugal last year the danger of these caterpillars became very apparent. We spoke to a owner of two scotty dogs one had been unfortunate and had come into contact with one of these caterpillars the dog was in danger of losing it's tongue and can be fatal if not treated by a vet as soon as possible.

Guest Tony S
After extensive searching for the past two days in the Landes forest in S.W. France, I did manage to find one ball of fluff halfway up a tree.I've never, ever, come across processionary caterpillars in this vast pine forest and I've been visiting them extensively over the past 20 years from Bordeaux down to Biarritz. As it was around o°c there was no sign of action from the little varmints. But there are rumours going around. For instance: Is there any truth in the rumour that road bandits are now introducing these caterpillars into motorhomes parked in motorway aires to disable their dogs before spraying narcotic gas into the vehicles to knock out their human occupants?

Guest MikeT
I would like to thank all that have taken the time to reply to my posting regarding these Processionary Caterpillars further information can be found on the enclosed link http://www.thinkspain.com/news/noticia.asp?CodNoticia=2367 Regards Mike T

Archived