Pets in Motorhomes

Mel E

How many forum users with pets have them loose inside (i.e., uncaged) when driving their motorhome? An earlier forum discission made me think . . . . . and then there was the item on the TV yesterday that mentioned that an average size dog became the equivalent of a baby elephant in a crash at just 30 mph. Makes you think, doesn't it?

Guest Richard S
Our cocker spaniel Holly is restrained with a harness secured to a seat belt in the back. It's easy to fit, she doesn't seem to mind wearing it, and it cost less than £20.

Once, many years ago we were carrying a Gerbil in a cage to the vets. The children let it out and it got under the brake pedal. Slowing down for the next roundabout was a bit of a problem but we all survived!

I one tried moving a feral kitten to a new location once in our van (not MH) - it escaped its cardboard box, held down with a tyre. It ran round the inside of the van like a wall of death. When I managed to stop and catch it the poor terrified moggy hung onto the window like a real Garfield. Then, not surprisingly sank her teeth into me. She went on to be a lovely farm cat at the local stables! Suprising how few of us have confessed to not strapping the dog down!

Archived