Peugeot 2.2HDi 130BHP

marydot

Does anyone have a motorhome with this engine - we are looking at a 2009 Autocruise - and does anyone know if it is in actual fact an Iveco engine under a peugeot logo?

Any other comments/information about this vehicle will be welcome.

Thanks

Marydot

...the Peugeot 2.2 is the Ford "Puma" (Duratorq) engine which is also fittted to the Transit.

I'm also not clear whether this was available with the "motorhome special" boost from 120 to 130bhp (as was the case with the, entirely different, Fiat 2.3 engine), though some reviews indicate that it may well have been on some chassis/cab base vehicles.

Hello,

I am a bit late, but the gang seem to be steering you in the right direction....

Yes, the 2.2 PSA/Ford engine; AKA Puma, was available as 100, 120 and 130hp on that age of vehicle. The latter two power levels were provided by the FPT (Fiat Powertrain Technologies) 2.3 engine when a Fiat base vehicle was used.

Opinions will no doubt be divided regarding the merits of each engine; the 2.2 does at least have a cam chain instead of the Fiat's belt but in the real world I doubt if there is much difference when used for a motorhome application. We have 2007 2.3 Fiats that have covered well over 200,000 miles without any problems other than EGR valves and earth straps but that is of little relevance here. The fears regarding water ingress under the bonnet have been something of a disappointment because even heavily rusted injectors can be extracted with the right tool,(which I have got), and none have required any attention anyway during normal use.

I have many customers that have been unable to get more than 100,000 miles out of their Transit 2.2's without major surgery and that invariably results in a new timing chain being fitted 'while you are there'! How ironic.

Like I said though, none of this is likely to concern you with the kind of mileage that you are going to do, you will no doubt enjoy many happy miles of motoring with either engine. Do make sure that you road test it before buying though, and pay particular attention to any juddering you may experience when reversing up an incline. This can be a big problem on some vehicles and you would be best advised to walk away from a vehicle that is affected.

Nick

Archived