Peugeot Boxer Key Code

JohnK

I have an Autocruise Starfire on a Peugeot Boxer 1.9 TD 2001. When I switch on the ignition, one of the warning lights is "Key Code" and this indicates a check that there is a correct key in the ignition. This light goes out after the check and the engine will start. This light occasionally will not go out so the engine will turn over but not start. Also, this light comes on randomly when driving along (but this doesn't stop the vehicle phew). Anyone had this problem? The local Peugeot dealer said it was the wiring at some plug junctions so removed these and wired direct. This has had no effect whatsover and the problem continues. :-(

Hi,
You need to check all the wiring as they do give a lot of trouble on this model esp' at thr ign' switch.The pick up ring on the ign' key barrel wires get damaged easily.You can by-pass the immobiliser , this usually solves the problem on this model.
Regards,
Brendan

Thanks onecal. By-passing sounds the simplest solution but I'll check with the insurance company as it could count as a modification. Being a lonely vehicle in the ferry boarding lane yesterday when everone else had boarded was not a pleasant thing so something has to be done about the security code! Regards John

Hi, John,

I hope that for your sake that you and Brendan are right and that you have an easy 'fix' for this problem.

Our Symbol is on a Peugot 1.9 T.D. and is a 2002 reg. so should be a similar motor to yours. We had this very same problem when we were on tour in Scotland exactly a year ago -- I dont recall the keycode flashing up when the 'van was on the move, but once it had stopped after any decent long run and had a hot engine, it was likely to 'play up' in the manner that you have described -- often not restarting for up to 20 mins. -- not nice in a ferry queue or on a garage forecourt!

As we are in no way 'mechanical' (unlike Brendan/Onecal, who is a mechanic by trade I believe) we took it to our local Peugeot main dealer who told us that it was an E.C.U. problem and had two goes at trying to fix it. the first ( and cheaper) job was under warranty -- but we were warned that we might need a more expensive repair -- and so it proved. After our winter break (and expiry of the warranty) the problemm recurred again -- the garage also found a leaking radiator -- just before we were due to tour Ireland -- total repair bill £1400! I estimate the E.C.U. job to have been approx.£600. of that. So, if you are unluckly enough to need the 'full works' as we did, it may prove to be costly.

I hope this helps, sorry if I 'bear bad tidings''

best of luck,

cheers,

Colin.

P.S. the problem occurred with just under 40,000 miles on the clock, since when we have done another 3,000 miles with no further problems (touch wood!)

C.

Hi Brendon, can I seek your further guidance? You mention that by passing the code lock is straightforward but my local Peugeot garage say it's complex and involves inter alia removing the fuel pump. Sounds like the sort of job Colin refers to! Do you think they are right? Is this something you can/have done? I am in Essex, are you nearby? John

Sorry I am not close at the moment, not a big job , you are on the right track with the fuel pump. I will look up a few auto sparks that may be close to you and PM them on to you. Any good auto electrician should be able to help. Not that big a job, Sorry because of data protection I cannot put fix on site.
Regards,
Brendan

Thanks Brendan, you're a hero. If you have any suggestions of electrical engineers from your knowledge it would be great but you've been an enormous help already and certainly more than the Peugeot Main Dealer near me! I owe you a pint (or two) - are you going to the Lincoln show next month? John

• 10 years later...

Archived