Peugeot Boxer gear change indicator

Bodger19

Hi I have 2015 Elddis 135 on a Peugeot Boxer, there is a reading on the dash that tells you when to change up, this still tells you to change up even when I'm in sixth gear. I've heard of others saying they get the same reading. Just wondered if anyone has had this corrected. Does not cause me a problem just would like t know why it does it.

There is a known problem with Peugeot instrument panels flagging up all sorts of odd signals and warnings. I've just had mine replaced free of charge under warrenty. The garage tell me they've done quite a few. It's a quick and simple job for them though you may have to visit them twice as they need to get a error code or something before Peugeot will authorise the repair and supply a new part. If yours is still under warrenty get the work done. I'm told the replacements are free of the fault.

Bodger19 - 2016-06-08 3:25 PM

Hi I have 2015 Elddis 135 on a Peugeot Boxer, there is a reading on the dash that tells you when to change up, this still tells you to change up even when I'm in sixth gear. I've heard of others saying they get the same reading. Just wondered if anyone has had this corrected. Does not cause me a problem just would like t know why it does it.

The 'Shift-up' indication is a function of the body computer aka Body Systems Interface aka BSI.

Peugeot do have a fix for the 'Shift -up' indicator showing in 6th. gear that involves replacing the BSI with a new unit ordered from Italy. The fix doesn't just remove the shift indicator in 6th. gear though, it removes it altogether.

If you're happy to do without a shift-up indicator, which 99.9999% of sane people are, then speak to your Peugeot dealer and they shoukd get the part ordered.

The so-called Phantom Dash, ramdom dim or glowing warning lights, that Colin refers to is a different issue.

A Ducato X290’s Gear Shift Indicator (GSI) works in both directions. (Perhaps the Boxer’s does too?)

When the SHIFT UP icon is shown on the display the GSI is advising the driver to engage a

higher gear, while the SHIFT DOWN icon advises the driver to engage a lower gear. The indication in the display remains on until the driver shifts gear or the driving conditions go back to a situation where gearshifting is not required to improve fuel consumption.

As far as I’m aware the Ducato’s GSI won’t prompt for a SHIFT UP when the vehicle is in 6th gear, though I assume it would prompt for a SHIFT DOWN from 6th gear if the motor is ‘considered’ to be labouring. On my motorhome the GSI seems to operate reasonably rationally - it doesn’t prompt for a SHIFT UP when the vehicle is accelerating, but will if acceleration ceases and a higher ratio could usefully be selected.

For me the GSI is a harmless, ignorable feature that I could easily do without. I’d far rather have an dashboard indicator showing which gear the vehicle is in and make UP and DOWN gear-shifting decisions without being prompted.

Thanks for comments, not sure if I will get unit replaced or just live with it, been driving longer enough to know when to change gear, just think if manufacturers add these display's then they should be working correctly. Many thanks

Derek Uzzell - 2016-06-09 7:05 AM

A Ducato X290’s Gear Shift Indicator (GSI) works in both directions. (Perhaps the Boxer’s does too?)

No, the Boxer implementation only works in the SHIFT UP direction and, as Bodger19 notes, in all gears including top gear. I haven't tried it in reverse but I suspect that it may show in that gear too!

I have never seen or heard of this problem with a Fiat so i will stick my neck out and say that both Peugeot and Fiat use the same CAN system and therefore the same body computer but they use different ECU's for the engine management. Since Fiat build the product and lead the design they made sure that the body computer was compatible with the signals available from the ECU whereas Peugeot did not. The inputs and outputs of Marelli ECU's are quite different to the Delphi i think the PSA and Ford vehicles use.

euroserv - 2016-06-09 10:42 AM

The inputs and outputs of Marelli ECU's are quite different to the Delphi i think the PSA and Ford vehicles use.

The Peugeot X250/X290 ECUs are from Visteon, Nick, Ford's partner vehicle electronics company.

breakaleg - 2016-06-09 2:23 PM

Only shift up on the peugeot x290, when I had my dash panel replaced the mileage was on zero, does anyone know how to display the full mileage permanently or just when you want to see the total

Pete

Disconnecting my Fiat Ducato X290’s instrument-cluster causes ‘user resettable’ data be lost (eg. the date and time will need to be re-input when the cluster is reconnected) but the total mileage figure (which, logically, should not be user-resettable) is not lost and reappears on reconnection of the cluster.

Dunno - are you sure you haven’t got some sort of ‘Trip’ option enabled that is showing the zero mileage datum?

Hi Derick,

Thanks for the suggestion, the garage must have done the time and date I am unable to go to the van until Wednesday of next week when we are off to Llandudno for a few day's I will take a look then and who knows, I may even look in the service manual. lol.

Just glad that the control panel for the habitation side is a good old fashioned switch and not a multi layered touch screen. lol

Pete

My majestic 135 2015 model has had 3 instument clusters for the glowing warning lights when cruise control switch on .they cure the problem for a cpl of months then it reappears. Spoken to Peugeot customers service who informed me there was a modified cluster available . The problem with the gear change indicator is a software concern no fix at present so I was told.

Archived