Pirelli Carrier Camper tyres, looking for a quiet life.

Guest Joe90

Guest Joe90
Well on the verge of changing my tyres, currently got the old type XC Michelins, find them very noisy and 80psi doesn't help the tooth enamel. Now come across Pirelli doing a camping tyre, the Carrier Camper, very little info on the net about them, so a shot in the dark, has anyone got them, and their thoughts please, thanks. ;-)

Pirelli has been marketing ‘camping-car’ tyres for at least 10 years. (They were mentioned in this 2005 discussion)

http://www.outandaboutlive.co.uk/forums/Motorhomes/Motorhome-Matters/Michelin-camping-tyre-alternatives-/1757/

The tyres were initially branded “CityNet Camper” and quite a wide range of sizes was available. CityNet Camper became “Chrono Camper” and the range was reduced to three sizes. The latest range is called “Carrier Camper” and also offered in just three sizes

215/70 R15CP 109R

215/75 R16CP 113R

235/65 R16CP 115R

As far as I’m aware no major vehicle manufacturer building chassis intended for conversion into motorhomes has ever chosen to fit Pirelli camping-car tyres as original equipment. Consequently, there will be very few motorhome owners with practical experince of the Pirelli product.

Auto-Bild and Pro-Mobil magazines have carried out comparative tyre tests that included Carrier Camper and, in both instances, the Pirelli tyre came out well. The Auto-Bild findings are summarised here

http://www.pirelli.com/tyres/en-gb/car/find-your-tyres/test-results/summer/carrier-auto-build-2014-04

I don’t know what the inflation-pressure-to-load data are for Carrier Camper, but they are probably much the same as for Continental’s “VancoCamper” or Michelin’s “Agilis Camping”.

If you chose the Continental, Michelin or Pirelli patterns and inflated them to the high pressures that the ETRTO recommends for ‘camping-car’ tyres, you should not anticipate a soft ride-quality. One tyre might be better than the other regarding on-road (and off-road) performance, and the tyres might differ regarding noise and longevity. But if a new set of VancoCamper, Agilis Camping or Carrier Camper tyres was fitted to a motorhome and inflated to the same pressures, it’s likely that the motorhome’s resultant ride-quality would be the same.

If you plan to drive in winter in countries that demand ‘winter’ or M+S-marked tyres, then Agilis Camping would be attractive as it’s the only pattern that’s M+S-marked. If you needed a replacement, you might find it easier to obtain the Continental or Michelin tyre than the Pirelli one. All of these tyres shouid be adequate but none of them will be cheap. If you wished to spend significantly less you’d need to opt for a ’non camping car’ tyre like Hankook’s Vantra LT.

Guest Joe90

I have now discounted buying them following an enquiry quoting my axle loadings and asking for the recommended tyre pressures, the reply was

We are unable to advise what the correct pressure is as it is the vehicle manufacturer that devises such pressures. :-S

I followed this up asking the maximum pressure they could be run at, if for example the converter stated 5.5 bar for the rear axle, that seems to have confused them completely......no reply.

On the same point, I recently damaged the sidewall of my Michelin Agilis Camper front nearside tyre on a fancy bit of French municipal town paving and needed a replacement.

Euromaster not only had the tyre in stock at Dinard but charged me a total of €162 to replace it. This equates to about £117 and included balancing and recycling the old tyre.

Nice price and great service - they even stayed 10 minutes into their 2 hour lunch break to complete the fitting and payment - what service (considering it was France) :-D

Guest Joe90
markh1 - 2015-05-09 7:07 PM

I recently replaced my Michelin xc's with Michelin Agilis, very pleased and they are a lot quieter

Worth knowing, thanks, probably go with those.

Joe 90

I got the same reply as you from Pirelli when I asked the same query.

When I gave them the front and rear axle loadings and told them the manufacturer

insisted the tyre company should advise on tyre pressures they gave me the figures

Guest Joe90

Which kinda poses a problem when both the chassis maker, Alko and the converter, Rapido both state 80psi :-S

But finally heard back from Pirelli and they said max pressure for their camping tyres was 70psi,so I've gone with the Michelins. ;-)

Archived