Pitch sizes

It seems to me that while the size of the average Camping Car is steadily increasing, at least here on the Continent, many campsites still appear to be catering for 1960s VWs, tents and caravans towed behind an Austin Cambridge.

Our current site near Cartegena is one of the better ones, but our 7.4m (which is close to average judging by those around us) still only just fits. At one site we only succeeded on the third pitch we tried - there simply wasn't enough room to swing 90° into the access roads. On another we were lucky in being allocated about the only pitch with relatively easy access, but with the bike rack touching the hedge we were less than a foot from the roadway, while our friends finally wriggled into theirs diagonally.

Trees too are becoming a problem, shade can be welcome but our 3m height now means as much attention upwards as fore and aft

I appreciate that site owners want to maximise their income and that many sites were laid out years ago and that mature trees and hedges would be costly to change.

Am I being unfair, but shouldn't site owners be adapting better to changed circumstances?

TheFrenchConnection - 2019-04-05 6:34 PM

I appreciate that site owners want to maximise their income and that many sites were laid out years ago and that mature trees and hedges would be costly to change.

Am I being unfair, but shouldn't site owners be adapting better to changed circumstances?

Larger pitches = less pitches = less customers = drop in income.

Where is the incentive for site owners to cater for bigger vans ?

:-|

I guess ultimately, the market wil decide. If sites start to lose enough customers they may respond with increased pitch sizes, but the (admittedly totally unscientific) impression I’ve gained on forums recently, is more people complaining about the cost of pitches, than the size.

Add to that the fastest growing part of the market is apparently (relatively small) panel van conversions? .... its not an easy call for an owner to resize their pitches.

It seems to me that while the size of the average Camping Car is steadily increasing, at least here on the Continent, many campsites still appear to be catering for 1960s VWs, tents and caravans towed behind an Austin Cambridge.

Our current site near Cartegena is one of the better ones, but our 7.4m (which is close to average judging by those around us) still only just fits. At one site we only succeeded on the third pitch we tried - there simply wasn't enough room to swing 90° into the access roads. On another we were lucky in being allocated about the only pitch with relatively easy access, but with the bike rack touching the hedge we were less than a foot from the roadway, while our friends finally wriggled into theirs diagonally.

Trees too are becoming a problem, shade can be welcome but our 3m height now means as much attention upwards as fore and aft

There is of course, a counter-argument - as to whether motorhomers who wish to use campsites should instead adapt to what is currently available. Sorry! :-D

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 1:03 PM

There is of course, a counter-argument - as to whether motorhomers who wish to use campsites should instead adapt to what is currently available.

Sorry! :-D

See what you mean. It is a bit like buying a dining room suite that is too big for your dining room - and blaming the people who built your house.

:-D

Guest pelmetman

Seeing as we have upgraded last year to a large fully serviced pitch at 16.50 euro's a night plus electric and wifi ;-) ........

To accommodate our camper, caravan, car and box trailer :D ..........

My issue is with the height of campers 8-) .......

Especially as we've just spent 4 months with a Cathago highliner, which I called the block of flats on the pitch next door *-) ..........

200+k of camper......and they cooked in a tent outside? :-S ........

Nowt as queer as folk as they say :-> .......

Guest pelmetman
malc d - 2019-04-06 4:13 PM

Brian Kirby - 2019-04-06 1:03 PM

There is of course, a counter-argument - as to whether motorhomers who wish to use campsites should instead adapt to what is currently available.

Sorry! :-D

See what you mean. It is a bit like buying a dining room suite that is too big for your dining room - and blaming the people who built your house.

:-D

I once did the curtains in a 2 bed show flat ;-) ........

It was only when the interior designers I was working for brought in the furniture, they discovered a normal single bed wouldn't fit in the 2nd bedroom 8-) .......

Had some upholstery done last month. Got chatting.

The company now concentrate on making bespoke furniture for show homes, all scaled down to specific dimensions to make the rooms look full size.

When the buyers move in, they will find that normal sized furniture doesn't fit!

Guest pelmetman
Billggski - 2019-04-06 6:31 PM

Had some upholstery done last month. Got chatting.

The company now concentrate on making bespoke furniture for show homes, all scaled down to specific dimensions to make the rooms look full size.

When the buyers move in, they will find that normal sized furniture doesn't fit!

Cant say I'm surprised ;-) .......

When I stopped doing show house work 20 years ago, they were actually taking the doors off rooms to make their crap built houses look bigger *-) .......

Guest pelmetman
Roryboy - 2019-04-06 7:50 PM

It's always a bit cramped on the Aires - but we cope .......

So do we for a day or two ;-) ........But for 5 months in the winter we appreciate a bit of onsite plumbing :D ...........

P1010069-001.JPG.f30745596a9c1b2ad4143756574a6f0b.JPG

Archived