Planning a Motorhome trip to the Arctic Circle in Scandinavia

Pinhaw

https://ibb.co/RCWtBSD We did that , no plans just went for it from Calais to Putgarten Germany, ferry to Denmark no booking just turn up, drove up Denmark, another ferry to Sweden again unbooked, crossed into Norway for Grong and then just wandered all very easy plenty of free overnight stop overs all the way water and toilet dumps everywhere we were away for about six months in total used one campsite at Geiranger as could not find a wild camp place , but the camp site was cheap enough, we did a Fiord cruise from Geiranger super, just a ferry but it took about 4 hours to return to Geiranger so fantastic,left the van on the campsite there, we returned to Germany via the Oresund bridge as we wanted to experience the Bridge.cost of the bridge equated to the cost of the 2 ferries we used so swings and roundabouts there , some say you cannot take food and booze on your trip, we did and ewe encountered NO officials at all in all of our trip . do not worrt about road tolls as they are invoiced to you in UK so pay in Sterling on line with no penalties.

https://ibb.co/album/qYvFm9 Lots of snow and Ice on our trip but roads were OK, we used the Vicarious books for stopovers Scandinavia which was great but now I would use the apps that are available on phones etc much easier, Norway is NOT expensive as mos think depending what you do, plenty of Supermarkets fuel stations ATM machines, changing money was a pain as we are used to the Euro now and not funny money that some Countries still use hee hee.

vindiboy - 2021-02-13 1:21 PM

... changing money was a pain as we are used to the Euro now and not funny money that some Countries still use hee hee.

In Norway and Sweden, few banks are authorized to exchange currency.

Always use ATMs only, five-digit PIN required.

In any case, the major credit cards are accepted everywhere, even for very small amounts.

Certainly Visa and Mastercard.

Some stock of local coins is needed for parking lots (there are still some that do not accept credit cards) and in Norway to pay for some stopover, the amount must be put in an envelope to post in a kind of letterbox (Motorhome = Bobil).

For sure in Botnhamm and Skrollsvika (Senja), Eggum and Reine (Lofoten) plus a few more that I don't remember.

Average price 200NOK = roughly 10£.

If your trip takes a long time, pay attention to payments, it is true that the invoice arrives home but there is a deadline for payment, after which the amount increases a lot.

This also applies to Sweden where some towns have a congestion tax (Gothenborg, Stockolm) and two bridges are tolled (Sundsvall and Motala).

A few fractions of a pound but for this reason by an annoying online payment.

In Norway I suggest to apply for vehicle registration on https://www.autopass.no/en/autopass.

In Sweden see https://www.epass24.com/

Max

A male Shepherd Husky cross and a female pedigree Northern Inuit (they were used in filming the Game of thrones as Dire Wolves).

The van is a Mercedes Sprinter LWB, that I had converted to my design by professional converters - Combi Campers in Accrington.. I will be selling it later this year since I also have a Vito I converted myself. Both will be sold this year since I have a few more ideas that I want to put into a newer Sprinter which I will convert myself - four wheel drive being one.

More details here:

https://duncan-brown.org/2021/01/16/introduction-to-touring-in-a-motorhome-campervan/

'Northern Inuit'...........Fascinating....a British dog with a Scandinavian breed name.

Had never heard of them but having been involved in 'Dogs' since the early '60s am very pleased to have not missed them.

We gave up dogs about 20 years ago.

Good luck......we love Norway, our favourite country, and have been to and from via at least 6 different routes.

"This was based on requirement in both Norland and Troms og Finnmark counties for tyre treads of 3mm minimum, reducing to 1.6mm in May."

This seems oddly out of place for someone who (over)plans so much for such a simple trip. The only time I wore a tyre below 3-4mm was when I knew I was selling the car very soon. To me, anything below 4mm is unnaceptable for daily use. I guess if you like drifting around every corner and aquaplaning over the smallest puddles then a tyre below 3mm is great. Not sure I'd be doing it in a MH, especially in a rainy country such as Norway though.

spirou - 2021-02-14 6:07 PM

"This was based on requirement in both Norland and Troms og Finnmark counties for tyre treads of 3mm minimum, reducing to 1.6mm in May."

This seems oddly out of place for someone who (over)plans so much for such a simple trip. The only time I wore a tyre below 3-4mm was when I knew I was selling the car very soon. To me, anything below 4mm is unnaceptable for daily use. I guess if you like drifting around every corner and aquaplaning over the smallest puddles then a tyre below 3mm is great. Not sure I'd be doing it in a MH, especially in a rainy country such as Norway though.

I don't agree with you at all, however, if you really believe that how can you be so unkind as to deliberately let the tyre wear below that before selling on and letting someone else drive what you yourself believe to be dangerous

I believe you may have missed the point with regards the time of year when tyres tread depth changes. This is basically advising others about the law.

I had new tyres, but still would not want to take a rear wheel drive sprinter in snow even with them. I also carried both snow socks and chains, but would rather not have to use these given the distances needed to be travelled in Norway.

The tyre thread depth was entirely within legal requirements (which seem to be what you follow when it comes to lifetime of a tyre) when I sold the car. And I really don't see a reason why I'd gift new tyres to the next owner. Especially on a 10+ year old Peugeot 106 that was worth at most 2000€ at the time and I owned for just over a year.

mtravel - 2021-02-13 12:50 PM

... Always use ATMs only, five-digit PIN required.

Max

I was in Norway and Sweden in the summer of 2019 (seems a lifetime ago now) and all the ATM's used 4 digit PIN, when did they change and how did you get a five-digit PIN for your card(s)?

spospe - 2021-02-16 8:21 PM

I was in Norway and Sweden in the summer of 2019 (seems a lifetime ago now) and all the ATM's used 4 digit PIN, when did they change and how did you get a five-digit PIN for your card(s)?

You are right, I apologize for the wrong news.

Due to something I didn't know.

In Italy for many years, cards for withdrawing money at ATMs have used five-digit PINs.

I investigated and to my surprise I discovered that in fact within international circuits only four are needed, if inserted the fifth is completely ignored.

It is only needed by us for our local transactions.

Again I apologize.

Max

p.s. Indirectly I am replying also to Pinhaw.

Some suggestions taken from previous experiences, they come from an "Italian vision" that I have tried to arrange for you.

Roaming.

All Scandinavian nations have adopted European roaming.

If unsure, turn off data and 4G.

It happened to me that with data off but 4G active, the provider charged me 3€/day.

But pay attention to your contract, typically you will only have 10% of the data traffic available in your country.

And, especially when you are on an offshore ferry (eg Kristiansand-Hirstshals).

If you have active data and without thinking you try any connection you will connect to a satellite provider with stellar costs.

In less than a minute it emptied my credit.

And if your plan is not rechargeable but associated with a credit card, it is severe pain.

Last recommendation, if you visit Finnmark you may happen to be along the Russian border. European roaming is invalid!

Local currencies.

Finland has adopted the euro.

Denmark, Sweden and Norway instead continue with their crowns.

Which in fact serve only to pay for some parking, more and more use credit cards but sometimes the ticket issuers want coins.

In Norway it happens that some parking areas have to be paid for with money in an envelope to put in a closed box together with your vehicle data (motorhome = Bobil) and license number.

Also in Norway it happens to find unmanned positions of farmers who sell fruit (excellent), you pay by putting the money in a box.

These are the only occasions in which you will need cash, the rest by credit card, even for minimal amounts.

Refueling.

In Sweden it may happen that you find the choice "cash" or "card".

The difference is that cash means you pay at the cashier (even by credit card), card at the pump by a card.

But in the second case, usually the maximum payable is 500 crowns (about € 50), often not enough for a full supply.

The cheapest country is Finland, before entering Norway stock up to the last drop.

If you go to the North Cape, get there with a full tank, it is not a problem of distributors (few but there are) but prices.

In Honningsvag I found the most expensive (and by far) diesel in the whole nation.

It is not a general rule but I have seen it applied enough, in Sweden and Norway at least.

It happens that across the weekends some distributors apply even substantial discounts.

Sometimes on Friday afternoon, often on Saturday or Sunday, more rarely but it also happens on Monday morning until around ten o'clock.

Keep an eye on prices, discounts are quite well marked.

However, the foresight is not to remain in the conditions of absolutely having to refuel.

Murphy spies on you and of course if you happen to have to, you will find yourself in the area where prices are higher.

But this is true everywhere and not just in Scandinavia.

Note: I don't have an explanation but I noticed that on Lofoten archipelago you can find very different prices from one service to another. I got the impression that, strangely, they are higher in small towns than in the countryside.

Campsites.

For insurance reasons, a card is required in Sweden, typically the Camping Key Europe.

Usually they also accept others (eg ACSI) but this is not necessarily the case.

However, it should be debunked that everywhere they do not let in if you do not have it.

I found only four campsites where it was mandatory: Uppsala, Stockholm, Ostersund and Ljugarn on the island of Gotland.

And if you don't have it, you can buy it on the fly, it costs about twenty euros, gives you the right to some discounts but I don't know how to quantify them.

Health care.

Although it is not part of the European Community, Norway recognizes the European healt card, after Brexit I do not know if it accepts the English equivalent.

But, moreover, like in other countries, it is only valid for emergencies and first aid, not for a visit, let's say, diagnostic.

For which you will have to pay but then ask your healthcare organization for reimbursement.

Example. A simple prescription of antibiotics (without which they won't give you them in a pharmacy) can cost as much as a hundred euros.

Temporary health insurance, almost all companies have it in their catalog, is strongly suggested.

Others if I remember them.

Max

The speed limits are low and constantly changing in Norway, even a single house in the middle of nowhere can find speeds limited to 30 or 40. I drove long(ish) distances each day on my way up to Nordkapp and found the constant gear changing gave me sore knees by late afternoon and I had myself marked down as not suffering from any joint problems so a rather unusual recommendation would be to take a knee support with you.

Traveled twice, from Olso to Mandal then to Nord Kapp and from Kirkenes to Kristiansand, I don't remember such tight limits.

Maybe a few long stretches at 60km/h on the Senja island but in half an hour it's all over.

Lots of 80km/h limits on E18 from Oslo to Mandal with tons of speed cameras and trucks sticking to your back and pushing you to go faster. With the result that the speed camera photographs you and not them.

For the rest, almost 12,000 kilometers traveled, quiet and relaxing driving.

Anyway it's just my personal opinion.

For those wishing to undertake one or more trips to the land of the Vikings, one possibility could be to explore some scenic routes among the eighteen classified roads.

Two sites help to identify them and build an itinerary:

Scenic Routes https://www.nasjonaleturistveger.no/en/routes

Scenic Routes 2 https://www.visitnorway.com/plan-your-trip/travel-tips-a-z/norwegian-scenic-routes/

Max

p.s. I have two Norwegian travel reports plus one on Denmark and Sweden and one on the Finnish Lakes Region but obviously they are written in Italian.

Translating them would be a huge effort that I don't feel like going through.

But if someone is interested I can send them.

pelmetman - 2021-02-18 7:37 PM

Has anyone been inside the Artic Circle in the winter? ;-) .......

I have 8-) ........

Not me but some "keyboard friends" have been there.

I remember at least five.

Indeed, there are two at the moment and if they are gone, they have just returned.

See https://forum.camperonline.it/viaggiare/viaggi-all-estero/lapponia-invernale-2021/253336.

The text is in Italian but the photos are understandable, on page 1 of the thread the one at the Arctic Circle in Sweden, I think between Arvidsjaur and Jokkmokk.

On page 2 photos of the meeting with another Italian.

Note: They were unable to enter Norway as, due to pandemic, the borders with Sweden are now closed.

Two others (in the same thread nicknames annapasqua and ledzep) have been up to the North Cape.

Beware that in the Finmmark region in winter many roads are only open at certain times of the day and you must necessarily queue up on a convoy driven by suitable vehicles.

Usually on the roads you will find a closed bar, signals give you opening and departure times.

And since it's always dark, some may leave at 4am.

Important equipment, from heating (better to have two, gas and diesel), winter and studded tires, etc.

Gas refilling is not a problem in Sweden and Norway but is a major issue in Finland where services don't sell LPG.

Max

Archived