Plumbing problem on 2006 Hymer B class 524

Can anyone help?

When I turn on the water tap it spurts, hisses air and gurgles for about a minute before water actually comes through. Once it has come through it performs ok for a short while.

I don’t appear to have any leaks in any of the pipe work, the problems are not just one tap and I have changed the pump.

I have a 2006 B Class Hymer.

The symptoms you describe suggest that the safety valve near your water heater is allowing water to drain away so each time you run the tap, the pump has to refill the heater before anything comes out of the tap.  This valve is located next to the heater on the floor and has a red button on the plunger (which is pulled up to close the valve) which is designed to drop automatically (and therefore release water) if the ambient temperature drops below 5 deg C, as a frost protection measure to protect the heater. 

Water released from this valve drops through the floor so as you turn on the sink tap, step outside and look for water dribbling from under where your heater is located.

These valves do fail and Truma no longer supply a solenoid valve as a replacement, so a manual valve takes its place.  You may be able to close the existing valve by holding it up with a clothes peg to see if that solves the problem.

Failing that check that both of the water system drain valves (near the waste tank valve lever) are screwed down closed.

Your submersible pump should have a non return valve fitted which could have started passing water back to the pump. There could even be a leaking connection on the pipe inside the fresh water tank.

mlarkin@whh.co.uk - 2016-06-07 1:15 PMHi thanks for quick reply. Unfortunately it is none of these already checked them out.

Then you must have a leak somewhere else or the incorrect pump.  It's quite normal for the tap to splutter while air is being pushed out of the pipes while the water comes through from the pump and if this is happening every time the pump runs then the water in the pipes must be going somewhere.

Are you using the correct type of pump?  Why did you have to replace it?  It should be a "double" type which has a built in non-return valve to prevent drain-back into the tank.  The pump is triggered by microswitch operation in either of the two service outlets; the kitchen sink tap and the bathroom tap/showerhead.  Each has a microswitch built in and closing either switch will energise the pump.

mlarkin@whh.co.uk - 2016-06-07 1:18 PM

How will I know if the non return valve is the fault? Is it a case of renewing it trial and error so to speak

You will get the symptoms you now have.

If there are no visible leaks (and I would check with your fingers, not your eyes as it takes very tiny amounts of water loss to be a problem) then it could be the NRV.

Remove the pump and check for anything stopping the NRV sealing. It only takes a small bit of grit or similar.

My Reich pump stopped pumping intermittently and I fitted a new one. After messing about with the old one, it now works perfectly. I think I had a small bit of rubbish causing the opposite effect to yours, it was stopping the NRV from opening fully.

I had exactly the same problem on a recent tour of Ireland. The water would eventually work ok when I ran all the taps but soon start spluttering again. I thought the answer was the same as in my Hymer caravan. I lifted the freshwater lid in the floor to shake the pump, which works in the caravan, and found that a small section of pipe next to the pump wire had come loose. I tightened it up and now it works a treat.

Had a similar problem on a b544 and it turned out to be the pressure relief valve on the boiler. I can't remember it's proper name. Quick cheap replacement.

Check under the boiler with the heating on for a small leak.

If you can access the boiler look for the pipe coming from the side going into a valve and then down and out. if there is water in it the valve is either dirty or broken. It has a small ball valve inside and can get blocked by grit or calcium deposits.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
Guest Alex1408
If you have such a valve, the problem is at the junction of the head and the handle. must be lubricated, or if the old crane - throw him

Archived