Police called to Motorhome

John52

A spokesperson for Devon and Cornwall Police said: “The men in the camper van said they had lived together inside the vehicle since the lockdown was announced.

“As a result there was no breach of the Public Health Regulations 2020 deemed to have taken place and therefore no police action was necessary.

https://www.cornwalllive.com/news/police-called-after-large-motorhome-4132383?amp_js_v=0.1&usqp=mq331AQFKAGwASA=&utm_source=taboola&utm_medium=display&utm_campaign=exchange

The leading article in today's Bournemouth Echo is "Council to clamp down on car park sleeping after campers spotted" There is a photo of a PVC and a newish Autotrail to accompany it.

The comments from the majority of the readers on the on line version are typically "Top tip to avoid fines... turn up in large convoy of gypsy vans, stake out in the car park and enjoy a car parking charge free stay until the council bothers to serve the legal documents to move you on.

One rule for the 'protected community', one for the rest of us."

and

"You forgot to mention the Toilet and rubbish skip supplied free of charge."

With the bank holiday coming it will be interesting to see how much of an invasion there is to Dorset beaches. There was also a photo of a gazebo that had been set up at Sandbanks beach with a "party of holidaymakers from London " fined £300 for sleeping overnight in it

Motorhomes do seem to be a red rag to a bull these days don't they? I put it down to the green eyed monster in people who are also inclined to shop anybody for anything they disapprove of because they can't do it themselves.

The safe thing to do if you take your MH anywhere during this outbreak is to put a conspicuous sign in your MH windows announcing that you are a local, giving the vehicle a bit of a run instead of using your car to go and take a bit of exercise.

davidmac - 2020-05-22 9:04 AM

Hi,did you read the article further down on your link about the police waking motorhome owner’s and telling them to go home.

Regards David

At least they let them have a nights sleep before moving them on somewhere else. :-D

Personally, I have always found the police alright on this - but if called they have to attend.

One copper in Scarborough told me flat out - 'I couldn't care less where you park, Parking enforcement is the council's job, and they aren't working tonight' :-D (but that was before Covid-19)

Knowing St Ives its probably the first time anyone has been to that spot with a motorhome that size - streets are pretty tight. ts in a no parking zone so would be illegally parked in any case. So it was always bound to attract attention.There is a small council car park behind the pub, but they would be occupying more than one bay and parked on a steep slope. So its not practical to take a motorhome there at any time.

The thing that most interested me is that its ok because they said they had been residing in the motorhome since the lockdown started. :-D

Derek Uzzell - 2020-05-22 10:37 AM

Seems OK to me - if the Daily Mail had reported this, a reference to Princess Diana would probably have appeared in the article...

A local guy told me they had been asking for new railings there for many years and had given up asking.

Then suddenly, new stainless steel railings appeared 8-)

Soon after, they had a 'surprise' *-) visit from the Queen

He said there is a standing joke in St Ives that, as the visit is over and the railings are only bolted down, they might disappear as mysteriously as they appeared, and the rusty old ones reappear. (lol)

StuartO - 2020-05-22 11:33 AM

Motorhomes do seem to be a red rag to a bull these days don't they? I put it down to the green eyed monster in people who are also inclined to shop anybody for anything they disapprove of because they can't do it themselves.

The safe thing to do if you take your MH anywhere during this outbreak is to put a conspicuous sign in your MH windows announcing that you are a local, giving the vehicle a bit of a run instead of using your car to go and take a bit of exercise.

My fear entirely Stuart. We live in Dorset; the van is in desperate need of a run out but we appear to be inundated with judgemental people who jump to conclusions and are so willing to criticise others for their perceived reckless endangerment of others. Can’t think of a safer place to be than with members of your own household in the confines of a campervan. We seem to have turned into a nation of virtue signallers and “holier than thou” critics. This virus has brought out the best and the worst in people.

rayc - 2020-05-22 10:52 AM

I have to obey the law because if I so much as park on a yellow line they can fine me, If I don't pay they can inflate the charges to a ludicrous level and send in the baliffs.

But some people are immune to that because there is nothing that can be taken off them.

Not much the council can do apart from seize their vehicles - then as there are women and children they would be legally obliged to re house them.

Violet1956 - 2020-05-22 1:45 PM

. We seem to have turned into a nation of virtue signallers and “holier than thou” critics.

True

Which suits the Government because it draws attention away from their mishandling of the crisis.

Divide and rule.

The cynic in me makes me wonder if the rules are deliberately confusing to encourage us to fall out over them.

John52 - 2020-05-22 1:52 PM

I have to obey the law because if I so much as park on a yellow line they can fine me, If I don't pay they can inflate the charges to a ludicrous level and send in the baliffs.

But some people are immune to that because there is nothing that can be taken off them.

Not much the council can do apart from seize their vehicles - then as there are women and children they would be legally obliged to re house them.

You, Obey the law!! - don't make me laugh........

globebuster - 2020-05-22 8:18 PM

You need to go back to post one and read the link

The lads in the motorhome were found to be obeying the law, :-D

Just like me :D

There is a photo of three newish TAG axle motor homes parked up in a local harbour side car park in the local paper. The article is headlined " Police back council clamp down as camper vans reported in several car parks".

Shortly into the article it says in the case of the ones in the photo " "A needs assessment was undertaken on Thursday, May 21.

"Rubbish bags are being provided and collected regularly and we are monitoring and visiting the site on a regular basis."

"It is not clear if any of the camper vans in the photo are breaking any lock down regulations"

I guess they are not your normal UK motorhome owners

249954847.jpg.gallery.jpg.7f478c163fbcd9b45f58eb8b4a481d3f.jpg

John52 - 2020-05-22 8:46 PM

globebuster - 2020-05-22 8:18 PM

You need to go back to post one and read the link

The lads in the motorhome were found to be obeying the law, :-D

Just like me :D

You need to go back to Scotland.......

rayc - 2020-05-23 8:11 AM

There is a photo of three newish TAG axle motor homes parked up in a local harbour side car park in the local paper. The article is headlined " Police back council clamp down as camper vans reported in several car parks".

Shortly into the article it says in the case of the ones in the photo " "A needs assessment was undertaken on Thursday, May 21.

"Rubbish bags are being provided and collected regularly and we are monitoring and visiting the site on a regular basis."

"It is not clear if any of the camper vans in the photo are breaking any lock down regulations"

How does anyone know anything about this ? They might even be supplied f.o.c. to hospital staff by a motorhome dealer.

The rule to all media information is NEVER believe any of it and make your own judgement. The media is all about selling space, they have no interest in the truth, its simply a story for which they get paid.

I never read newspapers and only occasionally glimpse TV reports.

goldi - 2020-05-24 11:48 AM

How does anyone know anything about this ? They might even be supplied f.o.c. to hospital staff by a motorhome dealer.

Possibly as some have been provided for that purpose......but i doubt they'd be parked up at a harbour side car park!

Will86 - 2020-05-24 12:11 PM

The rule to all media information is NEVER believe any of it and make your own judgement. The media is all about selling space, they have no interest in the truth, its simply a story for which they get paid.

I never read newspapers and only occasionally glimpse TV reports.

The Guardian is not funded like that.

Their breaking the story of Dominic Cummings makes my donation worth every penny B-)

"The Guardian is not funded like that"

I'm not sure what you mean by "like that", but if you are saying it's not reliant on advertising revenue you're mistaken. Advertising revenue for 2018/19 has been reported as £90m.

Not likely as the report said the Council, who confirmed it, had been to carry out a needs assessment and arrange for collection of rubbish. They don't go to that trouble for just anybody.

aandy - 2020-05-24 5:54 PM

"The Guardian is not funded like that"

I'm not sure what you mean by "like that", but if you are saying it's not reliant on advertising revenue you're mistaken. Advertising revenue for 2018/19 has been reported as £90m.

Advertising revenue will be a lot less due to Covid19

Guardian has revenue from a huge legacy, and from donations from people like me.

which is how they can afford to offend the big spending advertisers like Sir Richard Branson

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2020/apr/21/richard-branson-bailout

Relevant 23rd and 22nd of May newspaper articles can be viewed here

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18470817.dorset-police-echo-council-campervan-crackdown/

https://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/18467958.bcp-council-remind-overnight-stays-car-parks-will-enforced/

(With this discussion having gone off topic to the extent that funding of the “Guardian” is now being argued over, I suggest the thread has now run its course...)

Link says 'Those caught sleeping in their vehicles on council owned land will face fixed penalty notices of up to £70.'

I have never been able to find a law that says its illegal to sleep in a vehicle. You wouldn't think Councils would put up notices with no legal backing but they do. (In Italy they put the relevant law on the sign so you can look it up) Scarborough Council used to have notices saying 'No Overnight Sleeping' but were forced to remove them after Andy Strangeway pointed out these Council signs were illegal. Similarly the illegal 'No Overnight Sleeping' signs Highland Council erected in Lay Bys.

And I have never found any legal definition of 'overnight' - or how they would prove you had never left and returned, breaking the 'overnight stay, if there was no CCTV.

But most of all I would like to know how they would prove I was asleep :D

Archived