Polishing a Motorhome

Guest N P Appleby

Guest N P Appleby
I am new to this motorhome cleaning lark and I have seen a on the message board a note to the effect that you should not use polish containing silicon (such as Mer)on gel coat. What should I use to polish a motorhome which bodywork is conventional bonded sandwich construction with hig-gloss aluninium outer skin, except all the complex curved surfaces such as the overcab roof, tail panel and side skirts which are moulded in tough GRP?

when you find the answer to that one pray tell me how I get to the top at the front (where all the flies stick!) of my hymer. Mu missus keeps tipping off the ladder!! Regards Henry

Guest John McDonald
I have been using " International Polish with Teflon " which is designed for use on paintwork and GRP on Yachts. If it stands up to that environment then it should protect our Motorhomes. Check out the following for more Info http://www.yachtpaint.com/uk/ Look under product guide. I found the only way I could wax the overcab luton was by using a set of steps and work platform designed for decorating stair wells,

John's spot on with his answer; Yacht products are the answer for cleaning/polishing and steps/platform are the way to reach the overcab.

Guest brian lawrence
I'm worried now.If it's not ok to use MER,why do they always have a trade stand at all the motorhome shows and do a roaring trade ???

Brian Mer is a popular product and would certainly be suitable for all the van conversions. Also, the people buying it may have other vehicles to use it on. Finally, we cannot legislate for those that do not know! Regards Neal

I use Starbrite One Step Heavy Duty Cleaner Wax, which is a GRP boat cleaner, restorer and polish in one. It is very effective and is suitable for use on metals and painted surfaces as well as GRP. Only down side is it requires a little more elbow grease than the Mer Autoglym types of product, but it is quicker because it does the cleaning and waxing in one go, rather than using a cutting type compound then poish. It is available from boat chandlers.

Guest David Powell
Re-assuring to read that others beside me go to boat chandlers for things, I was beginning to think that as an old retired Coxswain I was a bit kinky getting so much 'boat stuff' for use on my motor caravan, nice to know I'm not alone. Cheers everyone.

As I started the 'silicone' issue, I'd better give the facts: 1. Polish containing silicone (common in many domestic polishes) is fine on ordinary painted aluminium surfaces. 2. It is probably OK (but I can't swear to it) on gel coat that has been painted. 3. However, most GRP has gel coat on the outer surface to give a smooth finish and this is normally 'coloured' rather than painted. Most modern formulations of gel soften after prolonged exposure to UV light when in contact with silicone-based polishes, eventually leading to crazing and cracking. So it's best to avoid such polishes. Mer contains silicone - I've checked with the manufactureres. It's therefore fine on aluminium and car bodies, van conversions and so on. But I would avoid it on GRP/gel finished surfaces.

Archived