Port Isaac parking

rooster63

Hi,

Hope to drop in to Port Isaac in June to scout out the Doc Martin locations. Will be in a 6m campervan and need somewhere to park. I can see that there are 2 car parks in Port Isaac, the main one and another at St Endellion but any info about MH parking is very vague and some posters have commented on the over zealous attendants who slap tickets on for the slightest infringement. In most car parks i look to park in a bay so that the rear of the van overhangs a verge, pavement etc. Has anybody got experience of parking at PI? I've looked at other forums but most posts are out of date so not sure how relevant the info is.

Thanks

I visited there couple of years ago, and planed to arrive early morning (9am) was able to park my van in the lower car park, with rear overhang over grass verge and inside marked bays. Pleasent walk into village along coast path, the secret of a visit is not in the main holiday season and early morning when in a motorhome. There is a much larger car park about half a mile outside village which would be demanding for those less fit on the way back up to car park. Check it all out on Google earth .

rooster63

This link relates to parking in Port Isaac.

https://www.stendellionpc.com/parish-information/parking-port-isaac/

The current webpage for the New Road, Port Isaac car park

https://www.cornwall.gov.uk/transport-and-streets/parking/cornwall-council-car-parks/car-park-locations-charges-and-facilities/wadebridge-including-port-isaac/new-road-port-isaac-pl29-3sb/

indicates that the vehicles permitted to park there are "Cars, invalid carriages, motorcycles, trailers”.

There’s an August 2017 thread on the ASOC forum that said

"The terraced car park on the headland, on the Port Gaverne side of Port Isaac (New Road?) had some motorhome spaces, although last time we were there (a couple of years ago) the tourist information trailer had blocked them! Several of the other spaces have overhangs, we've never had a problem parking our Pollensa there. You can then walk around the cliff path to the village.”

As you don’t intend to visit Port Isaac until June, you’ve got time to contact by email the particular authority who controls each car park and ask about parking your 6-metre panel-van conversion. If either has regulations restricting motorhome (or large vehicle) parking, or insists that a vehicle does not overhang a marked parking space, at least you will then know. And if you obtain email confirnation that parking will be OK in either car park but a parking attendant thinks otherwise, you’ll be able to show that the relevant council gave you approval.

The carpark sign is easily readable on street view it states no camping no motorhomes between 21.00 & 09.00 hrs so should be ok by day. Just a little way up the coast the carparks at Tintagel are more welcoming allowing overnight

Image2.JPG.967a95b2a81453aa86634676e272a2ed.JPG

Archived