Portable Induction Hob Recommendations Wanted

DavyS

I am looking for a 2-"burner" portable induction hob for my motorhome. If I am to use it on a site with a 10A EHU then I calculate that the total power should not exceed 2.4kW.

However I cannot find a 2-burner hob with power less than 2.8kW; has anybody found one and can recommend

Since posting, I have found that both Vango and Outdoor Revolution sell portable 2-burner induction hobs for camping. Both are very low powered (about 800W per 'burner') so seem to be designed for Continental camping where 6A EHU might/used to be encountered.

A total of 1600W is rather less than the 2400W that a 10A British EHU can support so I would prefer something more powerful.

Provided you don't use both zones at full power you won't trip a 10 amp breaker. Like the hob, it's the heating effect that's inportant for the minature circuit breaker , MCB. So although the peak current may be in excess of 10 amps, the average current, and thus the heat that causes the switching element to 'trip' will be below trip level.

The MCB needs 3 to 5 times rated current for an instant trip, 2 times rated current takes around 100 seconds and 1.2 times rated current up to 10,000 seconds, to trip.

Thus its quite possible taking a continual 11 or 12 amps will not trip a 10 amp breaker during a cooking session .

Conclusion, don't worry, get a quality 2.8 kW dual hob and enjoy.

Mike

Keithl - 2022-07-02 9:56 PM

Davy,

Russell Hobbs make a Mini Hob which has a large 1,500 W plate and a small 750 W plate so 2,250 W total.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Russell-Hobbs-Plate-Mini-15199/dp/B002KGP60G

Is that near enough for you?

Keith.

Keith, yes that would be perfect power, but, of course its not induction and I am investigating induction.

I dont know why though cos although induction is more efficient than an electric hob, since I will be on EHU it is no cost to me. However a 1500W induction hob will put more heat into a pan than an equivalent electric hob then perhaps I can go for a lower wattage induction hob and get the same result as a electric hob.

We went through a short phase when we used a double electric hob (not induction type though). It wasn't too dissimilar to the one linked to above ( ours was Swan) and I can't recall it ever tripping any breakers..? (Even on "rustic" farm & pub type pitches with "dodgy" looking electric points/enclosures..)

What we did find was that it threw out a lot of heat (both downwards and into the van),so to be on the safe side we sat ours on a heat resistant worktop saver and it also remained very hot for quite some time after you'd finished cooking. Which made tidying up afterwards awkward....

In the end we found it was more faff than it was worth, and just used the gas hob. :-D

pepe63 - 2022-07-04 2:57 PM

We went through a short phase when we used a double electric hob (not induction type though).

What we did find was that it threw out a lot of heat (both downwards and into the van),so to be on the safe side we sat ours on a heat resistant worktop saver and it also remained very hot for quite some time after you'd finished cooking. Which made tidying up afterwards awkward....

Pepe, you have highlighted several advantages of an induction hob:

the casing does not get hot so no need to worry about the worktop or hands

does not waste electricity heating the surroundings

the glass top remains cool so any spills can simply be wiped off

a big advantage when used outdoors is that a breeze does not matter. Unlike gas the heat is not blown away; the heat is directed into the metal of the pan

Archived