Portable power pack

flicka

Concerned my leisure battery may not last a long weekend & generators not allowed.

Has anyone any knowledge about using a Portable Power Pack as back-up ?

These are normally used for engine starting, but unsure if suitable to boost leisure battery.

flicka - 2019-07-09 2:19 PM

Concerned my leisure battery may not last a long weekend & generators not allowed.

These are normally used for engine starting, but unsure if suitable to boost leisure battery.

To charge a modern '12v' habitation battery which is actually at or nearer 13v, efficiently you need a supply of about 14.4v. So check that any power pack you buy isn't just 12.5v output and can get to 14.4v and maintain a decent voltage to extract the most out of the power pack.

aandncaravan - 2019-07-10 1:05 PM

flicka - 2019-07-09 2:19 PM

To charge a modern '12v' habitation battery which is actually at or nearer 13v, efficiently you need a supply of about 14.4v. So check that any power pack you buy isn't just 12.5v output and can get to 14.4v and maintain a decent voltage to extract the most out of the power pack.

Wasn't thinking of buying one Alan, just loaning from a friend for one-off event.

Thanks for the info, I'll check the details.

Hi

Bear in mind that the AH rating of most powerpacks (even those that are used as Engine Start Packs!) is based on their standard output voltage being 3.7V and not 12V. If there is a Watt/hour rating then that one wont tell lies.

A 20AH battery pack @ 3.7V is 74Watt/Hours

A 20AH battery pack @ 12V is 240Watt/Hours

A 100AH leisure battery drained down to 50% capacity will give you 600Watt/Hours (approximately).

To perform their engine-start function, the 3.7V cells within these engine-start packs get connected in series+parallel to give ~12V, but you would run through the 74Watt/hours (above) in no time in a MoHo application.

Nigel

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a second-hand power pack at a charity garden party earlier this year. It had no charger but was in it's original box. I bought a charger on line only to find it didn't hold it's charge.

I took it apart only to find that the internal battery is the same as that in my mother in laws mobility scooter. I had replaced her's the week before and one still worked. These would not be suitable for your needs.

charger.jpg.0c988c0cb542e9e0db8ddce73759c234.jpg

Archived