Portable radio

Guest Richard Chitson

hi i bought a roberts digital tunable radio which seems to work well BUT,the bbc programs are a little sparadic & limited with their cover of my listening taste. if you use a satelite system for tv then you have a vast choice of radio stations as well on astra 2. free to air viewing can be fairly cheap,i use a digi box & dish bought as a kit in france for 75 euros,no card required.(no itv other than 3 yet but due to be available in new year i'm told) works very well.i noticed last week that castorama (b&q in france)were selling a kit that included a double lnb so that 2 satelites can be received without having to move the dish. happy listening.

Guest Will Redfearn, Wirral Motorhome Club
As well as the above check out the World space system,portable satellite radio.

Hi we first bought a AM / FM radio but couldnt pick any thing but local radio stations Then took a Radio/Cd/mini disk system Well BBC world radio doesnt seem to cove Europe So we played the CD's & mini disks we took withus The found some local Tyrolean music which we copied using the mini disk's Then I was bought a lap top that we take I can get BBC & ITV stations & local radio bt internet We also have an LCD TV that we use for news programs on the local stations

I tried the World Space system and gave it up. The BBC seem incapable or unwilling to really make their programmes, including World Service, easily available. I agree that probably the TV satelite system is best.

We have a Sony ICF-SW7600G which we bought some years age in Andorra. List price in the UK was then &180 but we paid £90. It covers SW,MW,FM &LW. When the wind has been in the right direction we have heard the Archers on LW in the Pyrenees and exceptionally, have also picked it up, albeit faintly, in Southern Spain near Torreveija. It's not a bad set but being some 10 years old now there must be some similar but more technically advanced models now on the market.

I have a Ham HF transciever which includes a general coverage digital reciever. This plus the 5 metre tall whip antenna I put up will pick up the BBC works service, Voice of America and a great deal more besides all over Europe. It also allows me to talk to fellow Amateurs all over the world as well. You do not have a to have a Ham license to purchase such equipment in the UK but you may need to demonstrate that you are not instantly equipped to transmit with it if challenged without a license. My guess is that the antenna is an important part of this settup. But to purchase this equipment new you are looking at a minimum of £700 for the transciever plus whatever you need to spend for the antenna. (Mine is made from WW2 Tank ariel sections) Good luck

Archived