Portsmouth parking

blaven

Hi. We're away from Portsmouth to Cherbourg Sept.1 on the 0730. crossing. I know we can park in the loading lanes after midnight (according to the Brit. Ferries website). We're travelling down from Kendal and will arrive sooner than midnight. Any ideas where we can park up on the way down until gone midnight?

It does'nt necessarily have to be all that close to Portsmouth.

Ocsid - 2018-08-30 6:58 AM

Ocsid - 2018-08-29 9:17 PM

In Port Solent

50.839943, -1.097002

Overlooked saying that there is a Wetherspoons in Port Solent, and some more eating options.

AND if you got there really early, There is a cinema!!

Boats to look and even some shops. Usually some MH there when we visit, as we live very close by, and used to keep our boat there!

PJay

There are two ‘logical’ routes to Portsmouth from the North - one involves the A34 and the other involves the M3 motorway. Both routes have a service-station north of Winchester (M3 facility described here)

https://motorwayservicesonline.co.uk/Winchester

and both service-stations have similar parking terms and conditions with (as Ocsid warns) only the first two hours being free.

On a Friday night at the Portsmouth ferry-port, the last Brittany Ferries ship out is the Portsmouth-Le Havre ferry scheduled to depart at 23:30

It’s to be anticipated that, on 31 August 2018, the embarkation lanes should be clear by 23:00 and (as mildi mentioned earlier) it should be OK to park on the edge of the embarkation area well before midnight provided that the ships are running on schedule and nothing unusual has happened (eg. an incident resulting in a heightened level of security).

Me, I’d prefer to be kicking my heels for a few hours close to the Portsmouth ferry terminal rather than on a service-station north of Winchester. The Searchforsites website

https://www.searchforsites.co.uk/

suggests several possibilities (Search for “Portsmouth Ferry Terminal”) but it pays to read the reviews for each entry.

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are currently parked up in Port Solent enjoying a beer after a gruelling drive down from Kendal. 50 mph road works and flow breakdown for miles and miles.

Living on Skye and rarely motorway driving in UK I have become unaccustomed to the level of traffic which to many of you, will be normal. Ugh! The people......and the noise.....!

Hull-Rotterdam for me in future, and do my driving on the continent.

Lovely evening here and a Charlie Bigham ready meal in the oven. Weather set fair so should be a smooth crossing tomorrow.

Au Revoir

blaven - 2018-08-31 7:28 PM

Thank you all for your suggestions. We are currently parked up in Port Solent enjoying a beer after a gruelling drive down from Kendal. 50 mph road works and flow breakdown for miles and miles.

Living on Skye and rarely motorway driving in UK I have become unaccustomed to the level of traffic which to many of you, will be normal. Ugh! The people......and the noise.....!

Hull-Rotterdam for me in future, and do my driving on the continent.

Lovely evening here and a Charlie Bigham ready meal in the oven. Weather set fair so should be a smooth crossing tomorrow.

Au Revoir

Came down to P Solent last night for a meal, did see aMH parked

PJay

Archived